Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need fellow dog people's opinions

i need fellow dog people's opinions

i have a problem. i am going to have a career with dogs. rescue and show/breed dogs. i know that is what i'm going to do. now the problem is i can either go to school and graduate or get a head start on my career and just get my GED in a couple of years. i'm stuck on whether i should go to school or not. if i do i think it's putting my life at a stand still because my job would not require a highschool deploma.and if i go then when i'm in school i'm wasting time that i could be using for a career.

so i really need everyone's opinion. should i go back to highschool or not? i'm really upset about this. my parents are leaving it up to me.

Lexie
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Go to school. Trust me, go back to school. Your life could change in a million ways. Just the life experience is worth it. People will repsect you more for not being a quitter, for the rest of your life.

As some one who felt the same way 25 years ago I say stay in school . Get your diploma and take college classes in behaioral sicences . I wish I had becouse I wasn't able to do what I had planned for my career(lots of obsticales got in my way) I was positive I was going to train search and rescue or police dogs. So now I work at a low end retail job.I have also worked in a lot of fast food jobs. Get through high school and work at your career while taking some college classes.

I say definately go to school. Rescuing, breeding and showing dogs will still be here for you to do after you're done school. I've heard that the average person goes through 6 careers in their life. One day, you might decide that what you once loved to do isn't for you anymore. Also, showing, rescuing and breeding costs quite a bit! Most breeders don't make much of a profit from breeding. You'll most likely have to work and the better the education you have, the easier it is to find a good paying job.

So my opinion is, go to school.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

ok.so what do you think about homeschooling. i've been homeschooled ever since 6th grade. i can homeschool i just won't get credits or whatever. would that be a good choice?

Go back to high school. Life changes and even though they say a GED is the same as a high school diploma, it's not in the eyes of a lot of Buz. You will need a high school diploma, What if later on down the road your life plans change? Don't you want to have more then a GED? What about Collage? So many things can happen as you get older and you want to have the best start you can get, to be able to change with it and grow.

Just my 2 cents on it.

yep, like everyone has said, stay in school! Just the experience of high school is worth sooo much. Trust me, you will completely change and find yourself at this stage in your life. High school is not only necessary to grow and learn, its also lots of fun you wouldnt wanna miss out on proms and boyfriends and cliques and all that good stuff would ya? I personally think going to public, traditional high school is the best because you get a lot of street smarts and make a lot of diverse friends, but homeschool or Independence is also pretty cool. How old are you? 13 or 14? have you ever shown dogs before? It costs a lot. One of my best friends family has 16 Dalmatians that they show in every show in their area, and it brings in minimal money. Her dad has a very good job that pays a lot, but they still are low on cash all the time... I'd say, 99% of the time, you lose a lot more money on showing and breeding dogs than you gain. And, running a rescue costs ridiculous amounts of money also. You should definately finish high school, atleast get a bachelors degree, because its almost impossible to survive on breeding and showing dogs unless you operate like a puppy mill.

When I was your age, I wanted to be a vet.... now, as a Junior I'm going in a completely different direction. everything does change a lot in this time of your life.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I think you should go to school!

As someone who was homeschooled after the age of 14 and has a GED instead of a "regular" diploma, here's my 2cents: go ahead and finish school. No, having GED didn't ruin my life, I still got into a local college and I have a good job, but I had to work very hard to get them. AND I missed out on a universal experience and a great learning opportunity that it took me years to catch up on. Not to mention that people look at you differently when they find out you have a GED - doesn't matter why you have it or how long ago you got it, they just do. I wouldn't homeschool my children and I still regret not experiencing high school like everyone else - the good and the bad.

It sounds like it might not be what you were hoping to hear, but my honest "been there, done that" opinion is: finish high school.

Last edited by hellostranger; 08-12-2004 at 06:47 AM.

Go to school.......go to school.......go to school!!!!!!!! Any number of things can (and most likely will) set back your plans to get your GED later; i.e., marriage, babies, sickness.

You'll never have to make apologies and excuses for getting your diploma now.....you WILL if you don't finish school.

:-D

Definitely go to school. Also, if you can, go on to college. There may not be a degree for that particular job, but there are related programs. Business classes or pre-vet classes could be very helpful for you.

Go back to school!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Gee, I seem to see a trend here!

I have to agree with everyone else. Go to school. Home schooling isn't as good in the eyes of the world. Whether it's a right or wrong view isn't the point. GEDs don't quite cut it either.

And you'd miss all the fun of being in high school. That would be a shame.

Mary

you all have pointed out some things i havnt thought about yet. about how a GED doesn't work as well as a deploma,the proms,friends,etc.

im still thinking about it,but you made me think more.

thanks

Stay in school and graduate, you won't regret it

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets