Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classroom Pet

Classroom Pet

I posted on General a couple of weeks ago that I have been hired to teach Pre-K. One thing that the state people want us to have in our classrooms is some form of pet. My first thought was fish because I have had them before and am used to caring for them. I have never had any other kind of small pet.

The teacher who is leaving has a rabbit. I am not quite that ambitious. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good classroom pet? It would come home with me on school holidays, etc. I need something that is fairly easy to clean up after. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Maybe a guinea pig? They're usually pretty good with kids as long as the kids are carefully supervised, and it's a small enough pet to travel to and fro with you ...

I completely agree with Karen, a guinea pig could be a great classroom pet!

Try looking at cavyspirit.com about caring for them. I have a guinea pig (as seen in my icon) named Taffy. He is the sweetest thing. He doesn't bite at all and loves to be scratched behind the ears.

If you do get a guinea pig as a classroom pet try adopting. Like puppy mills, there are backyard guinea pig breeders. I didn't know that when I got taffy (I was only 5 or 6) and most guinea pigs coming from petstores have health problems. Taffy had lice when we brought him home.

If you have any questions on the general care of guinea pigs feel free to PM me. I love bragging about my baby and how well mannered he is!

BTW, an older guinea pig might be better for a class room pet since they are less skittish and more friendly. Boars (the males) are more outgoing and don't gets scared as easily as the sows. But the downside is they don't have very long life spans. normally around 6-8 years with good care. (Taffy is 7)

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

Just a few more things....

I have a 6 year old sister who Taffy gets along great with. She finds great pride in being able to give him his nightly treat. I'm sure the kids in your class would get a kick out of helping you care for a furry friend!

If you do get a guinea pig, I would reccomend going to cavycages.com to find a cage style you can build at home for pretty cheap. I don't have on of their cages but they look really nice and easy to build.

A guinea pig (or two, they are better in pairs, if you do get a pair get two sows if you can not find 2 boars that will get along, if you are worried about fighting, just get 2 sows because they have less of a tendancy to fight) they would be ideal for a classroom pet. They do need attention just as any other pet would but don't need to be walked every day like a dog or cat. Caring for them is pretty easy. Their diet consists of pellets and one or two fresh vegetable 'salads' a day. They also need an all around the clock supply of timothy hay. (they get timothy after 1 year, but alfalfa while they are young since alfalfa has too much calcium) If you feed them the fresh foods at the same time every day they will start to 'whistle' if you are late with their treat!

Like I said before, guinea pigs do better in pairs or trios. They are very social animals and will bond with you very easily. If you do get 2 or 3 make sure they are the same sex so you don't add to the un wanted population of guinea pigs since in most shelters they don't last long.

I said in my last post that an older one might be better, but it seems to be more the guinea pig's personality. I have met some great 7 week old guinea pigs that love anyone and everything right when they meet and then I have met some that get very shy and tensed up and bite.

Ok, I'm through loading you down with information. If you need any more (which if you do decide to get a guinea pig, your probably will) just PM me. Look at your local library on guinea pig care books. Most of them are pretty accurate. But, don't follow what any pet stores tell you to do! When I got Taffy I was told they only need to be taken out once a month, that they don't like being housed with other guinea pigs, that Taffy was a girl (he is a boy, they sexed him wrong), that they live 2-3 years, and to use cedar bedding. All of that was wrong. Guinea pigs are very social and need companionship, if you aren't able to take them out every day for atleast a half hour they will need the companionship of another guinea pig. Cedar bedding is really bad for them. It causes an internol infection (I beleive that is what I read, it has something to do with the resperitory systom (sp?)) And the reason the petstore said they only live 2-3 years, because they give you the wrong care information. (They can normally live anywhere from 5-8 years with good health and the right care)

Well, good luck on your classroom pet and I hope your find the right one!

-the zoo crew-
    thatDARNhorse <3

What about a turtle or a frog a frog would be neat they could see it groe from a tadpole....

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

probably a mouse or a gerbil!

What about a turtle
    They won't let us keep turtles. I found that out from another teacher the other day.

The guinea pig idea has possibilities, but I'm afraid that the size may be an issue. (not at school, but at home)

The risk with reptiles and amphibians is saminella (sp?) It would be neat to see a tadpole turn into a frog, but they need very specific temperatures and housing requirements where guinea pigs adjust very easily to traveling. It would be hard to transport a reptile or amphibian because since they are cold blooded they absorb the heat from their heat lamp, and in the car there wouldn't be any.

-the zoo crew-
    thatDARNhorse <3

Originally posted by prechrswife

The guinea pig idea has possibilities, but I'm afraid that the size may be an issue. (not at school, but at home)
    Do you mean cage size or the actual size of the animal? Because with cages, I don't really follow the 'rules' of cavycages.com. Taffy's cage here is only 30 inches by 17 1/2 inches. Its a pretty good size for him, and he is a pretty large guinea pig! You could also get a smaller travel cage to serve as his weekend home.

-the zoo crew-
    thatDARNhorse <3

A pair of dwarf hamsters can be quite engaging and entertaining...they're busy all the time. They take up very little space, and are easy to keep amused.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

guinea pig's r GREAT at school.

A teacher WAY WAY WAY back in grade school had them in her classroom. She was a breeder so the kids got to learn about sex-ed (it was grade 4) & they got to watch the mommies giving birth & watch the babies grow up. & the kids in the class got first dibbs at the end of the year to take one home forever. But they had to prove they loved & could care for one, by caring for the ones in the classroom.

The cage in the classroom was about the size of 6 single school desks. It was made by her husband & it was wooden on the outside & plexie glass on the inside so it was easy to clean & not rot the wood. It was about 2 feet tall with no lid.

Reptiles can kill a child under 11 & adults over 60. The bacteria is more deadly to these ages (love discovery channel).

& mice, rats, & hamsters tend to nip, which is bad for a classroom. But I hardly ever hear of people of being bitten by guinea pigs. I'm sure it has happened, but less likely (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this part). Also these critters r small (except the rat), but they r much harder to find if I child sets it down & it runs away. I think guinea pig's r slower critters & just don't like to run off like a mouse would, or atleast all the guinea pigs I knew didn't run off. They ran a few feet, stopped & ran again checking things out.

& a guinea pig cage isn't too big inside a house. u can get them a small one aslong as u let them out often. But one that is atleast 3 feet long cage would be perfect for a temp house guinea pig.

Do you mean cage size or the actual size of the animal?
    More cage size than animal size.

I appreciate all of the advice. I've also e-mailed my sister-in-law, the vet, for her input. I'll keep researching and let you know when I've made a decision.

I had a turtle in my Kindergarten class,and everyone got to feed and hold it,it was fun!! i would recommend a turtle b/c there clean and not to hard to take care of!

A guinea pig or a hamster would be a good pet. Guinea pigs are great for kids. Well behaved kids of course. ^_^

To make sure the pet is well taken care of though, it is best, as you mentioned, for you to take it home. Not just on vacations - but on weekends too. Guinea pigs need feeding and water every day. And make sure you do your research on care, whatever pet you pick.

and chrissycat21 gave some great advice.

Good luck!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Ever thought about two female rats?

They don't stink. They are VERY clean. They are freindly. Unlike hamsters they aren't fear biters. When afried they freeze and don't move. They are GREAT fun to watch and hold and play with. They don't need TONS of care. Just bedding changed weekly, water and food daily and some out of cage time daily. They could have a small, carrying cage that you took them home in on the weekends. Something to keep them well roomed and happy but not to big to take over your house.

That would be my first choice.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka