Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamster Help

Hamster Help

Hey,

Well as some of you know I got a new hamster, 4 days ago. Well last night I noticed he had slept the WHOLE day, only getting out once in a while, rarely eating and drinking, and rarely in his wheel like he was the first couple days. And then I noticed shavings were sticking to his bum and he is dirty and smelly down in that area... so I started reading and I'm worried that he may have Wet Tail.

But would that mean he had it when he was in the store?? Cause I read it takes 7 days to show symptoms .. I've only had him 4 days ... then wouldn't that mean all the rest of the hamsters that were in his cage have it too??

Could it be something else? He does seem to be very nervous and doesn't like me around him at all .. .

I wish I had some good advice, but I'm sorry your hammie isn't feeling well.

I noticed that you wrote there were shaving in his cage, are you using pine or cedar? If you are I would reccomend changing it because they can be toxic. If carefresh is avaliable in your area I would try using that.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

It says on the package, 100% natural Canadian pine

I have a hammy, but I've never had a problem with him. Sorry I can't offer you any good advice.

One thing, though -- no Pine or Cedar should be used for his bedding. It's toxic, and can cause respiratory infections/problems. Try using Carefresh.

first off hamsters are nocturnal meaning they sleep during the day and get up at night.

second off you shouldent use pine because it is danergous for the rodents respitory system. Same with Cedar.

i would suggest you use aspen, carefresh, or yesterdays news bedding, even hemp!...

anything is better then pine or cedar..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Re: Hamster Help

Originally posted by ScantyNebula
    And then I noticed shavings were sticking to his bum and he is dirty and smelly down in that area... so I started reading and I'm worried that he may have Wet Tail.

Could it be something else? He does seem to be very nervous and doesn't like me around him at all .. .
    and to this prob, it may be that your hamster isnt a
    "he" at all, males have testicals, nd females dont. Female hamsters go into heat every four days and they will have a sticky smelly discharge on their bottums, aroudn the anal area.

I didn't know it wasn't safe to use pine! Thanks for letting me know. I haven't heard of carefresh, but I'll look for it.

tikeyas_mom, HE is a he, there are most definetely testies there

Its just that he has the symptoms there of Wet Tail but it seems odd that he would be infected with it even before I bought him ...

In general, how to hamsters behave? Emmett wasn't very social at all .. he always seemed nervous and bit my fingers a couple times as well. This is my first hamster so I don't know what to do or expect ..

I've never had a hamster to bite me, but I have had them be skittish. It takes time and patience to get them accustomed to you. Approach him slowly and give him some space to wander around (under your supervision, of course) outside of the cage where you can interact a little with him.

That wetness and odor worries me, frankly. Make sure the bedding is dry, clean him up, and then watch him closely. Wet Tail is a possibility, especially if he was exposed to it before you got him. I don't know what you're supposed to do if that is the problem, but doing some research and even calling a vet who handles small animals might be a good idea so you'll know what you're dealing with. If the symptoms fit the description, then you should do what you need to in order to start treatment right away.

Good luck with your boy. I hope all will be just fine. Keep us posted.

I really don't know how to go about cleaning him ... he is so unapproachable and he looks sick right now .. all he wants to do is sleep. If I try to take him out of his cage he runs to a corner and tries to hide from me ... I'm starting to worry I think I will call the vet tomorrow ... but what worries me the most is if it IS wet tail, I've read it only takes 24 to 48 hours until they pass away I'm so hoping its not that serious ..

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    first off hamsters are nocturnal meaning they sleep during the day and get up at night.

I'm usually up til really late, and my bf gets up in the morning and when I go to bed he's sleep and when bf gets up he's still sleep ... so he pretty much sleeps at least 19 hours a day

I had a hamster that slept alot too, it is normal, considering they are nocternal.

if you think that he might have wettail, then you could go buy the treatment from your local petstore, or take him to the vet.

I believe that hamsters infected with wettail die within the first few days.

good luck.

Thanks Jynnelle ... I hope he'll be okay .. poor little guy

How's the little boy doing? I've been so worried.

Great news!! Emmett seems to be getting better! I went out yesterday and bought some DriTail ... I would try it to see if he'd get better although I had lost all hope of him recovering.

So I gave him a dosage of the medication and he started biting at the dropper and licking off the drops. And I swear, it was like I gave him adrenaline! He was walking around, much more active and then we noticed he started grooming! Then about 10 minutes later he was going to town in his wheel! He did that for over an hour, then went to sleep for the night. He's still sleeping right now so I guess we'll see tonight if he's still feeling better if he gets up!

But things are looking positive!

I would suggest taking him to the vet. While we might be able to make guesses via internet, it is always best to have a professionals opinion.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka