Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you going to watch the Olympics....

Thank you all so much. I didn't mean to be such a downer on this thread and I fully intend to watch knowing Mom would want me too for her.

Slick, I like the BBQ ideal too!! Maybe a green slushi would help things, even though I'm not a drinker, LOL.

From Decker with Love

uhhh...

If you all know what Athens has done to it's stray dogs in preparation for the Olympics....
    Animal Rights groups are asking us not to watch. There is a video but we are waiting for Karen's approval to post it as it is a bit graphic (it doesn't show the actual poisoning of the 1,500 dogs but some of how the dogs are affected by the poison before death, and the cannabalism even before they bother with dealing with the problem- nothinig graphic- I promise!) I just thought everyone knew? David Letterman has talked about it so I figured it was all over the news but apperantly not...
    pixie

Yes Leslie this is absolutely disgusting, what can we do about it though, is there any website or something where we can register a protest against this barbaric incident.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

do you want me to send you the video? I only watched it once because it took my computer 45 minutes to download- there maybe something there regarding what you are requesting! I am annoyed that it is coming around so LATE! Hello! How about before the games start? geesh...
    pixie

I absolutely LOVE THE OLYMPICS. I plan on watching as much as I can.

Even though I fully accept that it is important to know how Greece is handling their overpopulation of stray dogs............and it will be broadcast around the world...........how many other countries, including our own have a severe overpopulation problem? Will those countries be scrutinized?

I hate to just pick on Greece when we should look right in our own backyard and take a look and learn. Nowhere is it a pretty sight!

I wish all of the athletes God Speed -- Safety -- the ability to do their personal best.

I happen to know personally an American who will be in Greece, but will present himself as an Irishman..................as he attends various committees and meetings.

It is a sad world we live in right now.
    Last edited by gini; 08-10-2004 at 09:43 AM.

I won't be watching. I loathe the Olympics. Well that's not true, I enjoy the winter events, but athletics bore me rigid. However the kitty Olympics over in Cat General look to be turning into a very exciting event.

I'm sure we will be watching some of it now and then. My son was a swimmer so I always enjoy watching the swimming and I also like the gymnastics.

Robin

I read horror stories every day about some atrocity in this country and others at mistreatment of animals. I am not interested in seeing that video, Leslie, personally, but I have read about the problem in Greece. It all sickens me, and if humans could be more responsible across the globe, this wouldn't have to happen.

But in reality, those athletes didn't have anything to do with the Greek government's decision, so I plan to support them by watching and enjoying.

Nope, sure not! Not after the way they have been treating the stray dogs.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I'd love to watch I'll try to catch horse riding and I hope to see gymnastics..

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
    I won't be watching. I loathe the Olympics. Well that's not true, I enjoy the winter events, but athletics bore me rigid. However the kitty Olympics over in Cat General look to be turning into a very exciting event.
    I couldn't agree with you more--to me, the Olympics are just boring. There are a few things I'll watch, if I'm bored, but otherwise I don't watch them.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Originally posted by Logan

I am so happy that a couple of you have such great memories of watching the Olympics with your parents.
    I remember sitting down with my dad and watching the 68 Games. He was very proud that his home country was able to host such a huge event. Even tho there was quite a bit of controversy on the planet at that time, everyone was able to take two weeks to forget about the problems...until those two yo-yos decided to bring politics into the mix and onto the medal stand....

I digress...

It's a couple of weeks to watch ordinary people do extraordinary things. They jump farther, move faster, pull a little more out of a tired or hurt body, then shine for a few minutes on the world's stage.

It's the Jamaican bobsled team, Gabriele Andersen-Scheiss, Eddie the Eagle, Ben Johnson, Jeff Blatnick and some people that you will see, forget their names, but remember them for what they did and didn't do.

I spent two weeks in 1984 having the time of my life here in Los Angeles......And it's fun to relive some of that with the other cities that have had the chance to step up and have the world watching.

It's a little more than sports-

It's the people.

I always had hard time reading my dad's feelings.
    In 96 I packed his a$$ up and we went to watch the torch pass thru on it's way to Atlanta...We parked in the lot of a restaurant and waited for about two hours...

When the time came and the motorcade was passing he spot where we were, out of he corner of my eye I saw my dad stand up and begin to applaud as the
    procession made it's way up the street.

My dad was a good natured and very reserved man, not lent to spontaeous shows of emotion, but I was very thankful that a flame, on it's way to a sporting event, gave me a glimpse into that private side of my dad.

Jazz,
    Sit down and enjoy the Games.

I'm sure your mom won't mind you jumping up and down and screaming your head off. I get the feeling she would do the same thing.

Richard, that moment with your dad was very special. In 1996, I had just moved to Greenville and the Olympics were held in Atlanta. I didn't get to attend any of the events in person, but the torch came through our town and it was a very special moment. We are about 2 hours NE of Atlanta. I got chills and tears as the former mayor of our city, who was nearing 80 years old at the time, came through with the torch. It was a very exciting moment! And the weekend after the Olympics ended, my friend and I went to Atlanta and experienced some of the excitment by visiting Centennial Park and some of the special places and activities that had popped up as a result. It was so much fun.

watching the Olympics in the hospital

I think I'll be a captive audience for the olympics!! lol lol and since Carole will be waching, I'll also be rooting for the New Zealand team!!

Re: Are you going to watch the Olympics....

Originally posted by carole
    With only a few days away, the Olympics are about to start, just wondered who is going to watch them and if anyone is actually going to attend them.

I am not a real sports fan, but I always enjoy watching the Olympics, especially swimming, athletics, gymnastics, rowing,what are your favourite events?

I hope we see some lovely pics of Greece as well, This is one of the places in the world I would love to visit oneday, it looks so beautiful.

Look out for a few kiwis in there won't you, our medal prospects are not great, like the big US OF A, but we will give it a damn good try. Watch out for us in the rowing, twin sisters from my City, YOU GO GIRLS!!!!.

So please post your thoughts and hopes for the games.

My biggest hope is for them to be free of any violence and threats.
    Carole, I guess I'll be a captive audience for the olympics! Because you will be watching, I'll also root for the New Zealand team!