Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Africa - good and bad

South Africa - good and bad

As I have just got back from South Africa, I thought I would post some pics from the trip, to show MY good and bad South Africa (nothing political, just the things that make me happy and sad about my adoptive homeland).

Good things:

My house, which I love, and miss:

My fur-niece Alex (Short for Alexandra, the township where she was rescued:

My SIL is pregnant with their first baby, due next month, and Alex is very busy doing Quality Control on every piece of baby gear which enters the house!!!

More to come!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Good - our holiday place, where we go to get away from it all. It is on an eco-protected dam, and surrounded by a golf course! I love it here - wish I could wake up there every day to this view over the lake and swimming pool every day!

Some interior shots:

BAD Things:

Seeing signs like this at the side of the road. (Make sure your doors are locked and don't stop for ANYTHING!! In case the pic isn't clear, this is a GENUINE road sign and says "HI-JACKING HOT-SPOT")

My other SIL - 7 months into a VERY difficult pregnancy, was caught up in the middle of an armed robbery, tied up and made to lie on her tummy for two hours! Both Mum and baby are doinf well despite the ordeal, but it makes me cry for what this beautiful country has become, and makes me realise that I will probably never be able to take my kids and move back there

Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

The pics are beautiful! Where in South Africa were you exactly? I was there once when i was very small, but unfortunately remember nothing about it. Even tho there are still many hardships the country is still trying to overcome, there is still some beauty in the middle of it all. Thanks for sharing!
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

wow...I can't believe they would have signs like that. And your SIL! How could someone make her do that for 2 hours?

But, you home is very beautiful! I love it! And Alex is very adorable.

It's too bad how things turn out.

WOW!!! Your house is BEAUTIFUL, and the landscape is gorgeous! I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your sister-in-law. That is so scary. Just seeing signs like that would scare me enough. Is there a lot of crime in South Africa, and if so, is it because of poverty...or what?
    Last edited by popcornbird; 08-07-2004 at 05:46 PM.

We live in Johannesburg, where the crime rate is amongst the highest in the country. My folks had to move from their beautiful home to a much smaller one for security reasons, and now we are going through the same with my In-Laws - they don't stay in a very safe area and are stubbornly refusing to sell and move house!!

Pops, it is a vicious cycle of poverty and crime. Until the imbalances of the past are addressed, and the previously disadvantaged find ways of uplifiting their economic plight - ideally through job-creating and NOT hand-outs, then the situation will continue.

Bottom line: someone who has NOTHING also has NOTHING TO LOSE.

I love South Africa, but I don't see a future there for my children. If I was single and had no kids, I'd be back there tomorrow!!

Ally Cat's Mommy

Your house is beautiful.
    Thank you for sharing all your pictures.
    Your poor sister, very scary for her to have to go though something like that.

----<---<--<{(@

What an awful experience for your sister! All these stories in the world - so sad!! Just good to hear that you are safe and sound. I won't tell you I am glad to have you back

OMG!!! You live in Jo-burg? My middle-oldest brother was born in born in Jo-burg. My entire imediate family was born in South Africa, I'm the only American of my *entire* family. My father is there right now to get his Visa approved.(What a pain! )
    Dogs!!!

Using multiple exclamation points is a sure sign of insanity!!!

Wow... gorgeous pictures. The scenery from your vacation house is breathtaking. How scary to witness crimes like that!

It's too bad such a gorgeous place has to be the center of such crime.

Great pictures though.. i'd be scared to visit but i'd sure love to!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Your photos are beautiful, but it must break your heart to think you might not be able to live there again. Are there many people leaving, or are they tending to stick to safer areas in the hope things start to improve soon? The country just has so many problems to overcome doesn't it?

Wow- there are some gorgeous houses in your life

But it is sad to hear about the situation there. I am so sorry for your SIL- just to think of what could have happened

I hope that you'll find a safe place in your life that you are able to love

14. Beautiful country, beautiful homes! So sad.

I was at a party earlier this year and was talking to a South African emigre who had just been back for a visit. He told of radio announcements...not about... "watch for the heavy at the intersection of Walk and Don't Walk, but rather ... "Watch for heavy carjackings at the intersection of..."

Ally Cat,

It is sad how South Africa has become.
    You hit the nail on the head ...... someone who has NOTHING also has NOTHING TO LOSE.......

I left because I did not want to bring my kids up there. I LOVE, LOVE the place ........ but just cannot live there now ..... but miss my house, and all my friends too.

Edwina's Secretary
    I listen to Radio Highveld (a South African radio station) over the Audio Streaming on the internet, and still hear the "be careful, of a smash and grab at the intersection of .........."
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."