Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In memory of Kuhio

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

In memory of Kuhio

Today marks the two-year anniversary of losing Kuhio. For those of you who don't know, Kuhio was put to sleep by Animal Control the day after we were there looking for her. They didn't have her in their database (a clerical error they called it). They didn't have her in the "regular" cat room. She was in the infirmary. We weren't shown that room. We didn't know it existed. How could we? After we found out that Kuhio was put to sleep, we demanded to talk to the administrator who told us that it was our responsibility to ask about their policies! So, if you're ever looking for your lost baby, make sure you tear the place a part because we've heard of cats being found in the "dog room", etc. And if you work in a shelter, please take a little extra time to help out distraught people searching for their babies. A little extra effort on their part would have made all the difference in the world.

The only tribute we can think to do is to continue to tell her story in hopes that you remember it if (God forbid) your baby is ever missing.

Happy 2nd Bridge Day, Kuhio

Princess Kuhio,
    Time has passed so quickly. I can’t believe it’s been 730 days since I last held you. I know that we will be reunited again one day when the time is right. Until then, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for the 17 wonderful years we shared. You will never be forgotten.

I’d like to use the anniversary of your death to continue to spread the word about steps that can be taken when searching for a lost pet. A good resource document: http://www.petrescue.com/library/find-pet.htm

If we had had this information when you were missing (especially the part about looking in EVERY ROOM of the shelter), perhaps we would have found you in time to spare your life. We relied on the shelter personnel for direction. They never even mentioned looking in the infirmary. You were so close, but we didn’t know.

How I wish I had not taken off your collar. Your poor, little neck had been rubbed raw by all the tags and I thought I was doing you a kindness. We found a company that embroiders contact information right on the collar. http://www.k9collars.com/products.php?type=Cat
    All our kitties now wear this breakaway collar.

We have learned about microchipping http://www.avidmicrochip.com/answer.htm
    since you left us. Halo, Cammie and Pepper have all been chipped as well as your cousins, Molly and Seymour.

Until we meet again…

Kuhio 1985-2002
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

TheFound Cat Angels,say ,not to worry,Kuhio,is dong fine,even though,he does miss you! He is with the Pet Angel Army,currently,on a Luxury Cruise,in the Yucatan Penisula!`He says to say MMMMMEEEOOOOW,to his Dear Guardians! MMMMMMMEEEEEOOOOWWWWWW!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I do want to say thank you for sharing your story, even though it must be hard. I wouldn't have thought to microchip, since Vegas and Reno are indoors. After reading your story I plan to have all of my furkids microchipped. I know Kuhio's death was not in vain for I am positive you have saved many animals lives by sharing your story.

R.I.P sweet Kuhio, your story moved me to tears.

I cry and I cringe every time I hear about Kuhio. What an unforgivable mistake on their part. And it sounds like no compassion, either This is the kind of loss that is hard to get over and I admire your courage in retelling the story soley for the purpose of hoping to save others this pain.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Kuhio you are remembered and loved.

RIP dear one.

Oh I remember the story of Kuhio and it was so sad. Truly a lesson to be learned by all.

RIP Kuhio and I hope you are having fun at the RB.

Hugs to you Kuhio98!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Kuhio98,

Such a sad story! I never knew what happened to your precious Kuhio. How awful. At least you have educated people on what to do if their pet is lost. So, as bizarre as it may seem, Kuhio's VERY unnecessary passing had a bittersweet lesson behind it.

I'm so sorry for your sad loss.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Ow, losing a member like that , leaves me speachless. And they don't seem to achknoledge there mistake on top of that Geeezzz. Well I sure hope your kuhio is showing my gizmo a good time at the RB.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Even with the passage of time, it never gets easier, but hopefully the good memories will overcome the bad. What you are doing in Kuhio's memory is such a positive thing. What a wonderful way to remember a dear friend. I'm trying to initiate a microchip program at the shelter I bring most of my rescues to. I told them I'm more than willing to learn to do the injection, if they spring for the scanner and chip costs. It is almost as easy as doing an FVRCP shot, which I'm very used to doing. RIP sweet forever loved Kuhio.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

!! I had forgotten Kuhio's story.

Frolick well at the bridge sweet K....
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I too remember Kuhio's story and it is still just as heartbreaking today. Thank you for sharing it and helping to fight such a senseless tragedy.

Rest in Peace sweet Kuhio.

From Decker with Love

It breaks my heart every time I hear Kuhio's story. Bless you for continuing to spread the word, so that someone elase may be spared the heartache you have suffered.

Dear Kuhio, please know that you will never be forgotten. You have a special place in my heart, and I hope that you are at peace.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

RIP, beautiful Kuhio. Kuhio's story moved me so much. I'm getting my cats microchipped (Sophie's going to have her done Sept. 17th, at the same time as her spay).

Kuhio you are loved!!!

This is so sad...I had never heard about Kuhio until now...

My parents RB puppy, Hidi almost went to the RB *She ended up at the RB because of age, lived to be 13* because of the same type of thing. The pound found her *some idiot left our gate open* and my parents got to the pound just as they were about to stick the needle in! Talk about close call, and she had a licence and she was registered but they said they couldn't find the records. Grrrrr...

Kuhio you are missed, play hard at the RB knowing you were loved by all who knew you.

Bless you for telling Kuhios story, so many will be saved because you choose to speak up!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Thanks everybody for all the kind words. Please feel free to cross post Kuhio's story wherever you think it will have an impact. Please remember it if you're ever looking for your lost baby (and indoor cats WILL get out from time-to-time) they are soooo determined! If you work at a shelter, please take the time to improve your shelter's system so that something like this need never happen again.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.