Thread: Moth problem, help!

Moth problem, help!

I posted here sense not that many go to pet greneral and hopefully I can get more idea's here.

I have ChiChi my chin. and lately I have been getting a lot of moths around her cage. I do every thing I know, her bedding changed her food bowls cleaned, etc etc. The cage is clean for the most part except her Chinchilla bath stuff, that gets everywhere, from when she rolls around in it to what's left on her fur. It's almost impossiable to get rid of it. I have put moth balls around, but of course that just makes them fly around the room.

I would love to take her out and spray bug spray around, but I'm afraid that the spray will get into the wood of her cage and I can't have that. Her cage is not a cage that I can carry outside and clean, so that's out of the question.

I've had her for years and never had this problem before. Any idea how I can get rid of them. Help, I'm being over run with moths!!!!

Pic. of her cage:

Can you hang some flypaper strips outside the cage? We had a moth problem in our mudroom last summer and a few days of hanging the flypaper got rid of them FAST.

The flypaper strips are CHEAP - like $2 for 4 strips. They are the kind with a sticky glue that is rolled up inside a small tube. Completely pet safe, but if you stuck it in the cage, you'd have a sticky chin.

There are these no chemical insect killer that have a blue light that atrack them , then they get electrocutated (sp?), also the ones that are ultrasonic that keep the insects away . I put one one these near Magda's cage. I don't know if it can hurts chinchillas or iguanas ears thuogh.
    Hope that helps.

Originally posted by koxka
    There are these no chemical insect killer that have a blue light that atrack them , then they get electrocutated (sp?), also the ones that are ultrasonic that keep the insects away . I put one one these near Magda's cage. I don't know if it can hurts chinchillas or iguanas ears thuogh.
    Hope that helps.

That might work, I'll look into that. sense the moth balls keep them flying away, maybe if I put it at the other end of the room it wont be so bad or her ears, if thats even a problem. I have to look into the hearing thing first, just to be safe.

Can you hang some flypaper strips outside the cage?
    I'm going to Wal-mart tonight so I'll pick some of them up. It might look nasty, but it's got to be better then moths flying around.

I'm getting tired of typing and batting moths away at the same time, something got to give.

There's a moth problem this year in the town my parents live in. Mom has lots of tiny triangular bright green 'houses' hanging from her ceiling. Apparently it's like a floating roach motel that attracts moths. If you'd like I can ask her the brand name?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Libby, I don't know what Chinchillas eat, but check the food if it is seeds of any kind. About a month ago, I bought seed to mix with the pellets I feed my Cockatiels. Something hatched and I had moths everywhere in my office. It was in that food. I have started freezing the food for two days after I buy it. Apparently this is not at all uncommon and many of my "bird" friends suggested that it can happen anytime there is seed involved.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Logan
    Libby, I don't know what Chinchillas eat, but check the food if it is seeds of any kind. About a month ago, I bought seed to mix with the pellets I feed my Cockatiels. Something hatched and I had moths everywhere in my office. It was in that food. I have started freezing the food for two days after I buy it. Apparently this is not at all uncommon and many of my "bird" friends suggested that it can happen anytime there is seed involved.

Good luck.

Yep there seed involved in her food, sense I'm the only person in this town, I've been told, that has a Chin, the local pet stores don't carry Chin food. So I have to work around that with mixes of bird food, rabbit food and small animal food. So yes there is some seeds involved........maybe thats it. That might explain why I never had the problem till now.

Freeze the food, ok i'll do that. thanks.

I'm thinking about just taking the screens off the windows and letting them all fly out. lol

Originally posted by Fox-Gal
    ... maybe if I put it at the other end of the room it wont be so bad or her ears, if thats even a problem. I have to look into the hearing thing first, just to be safe.
    If you can find out would you mind to let me know. So far I can't found any info, iggy related. She doesn't looks bodered at all but anyway...

I just came back to see if you had seen my response, Libby. I guess this is common even if you buy "high quality" seed, which I must admit that I am not always able to do when I'm in a pinch.

I hope that the answer is that simple for you. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Logan

Eww.. I hate moths!

I have no advice though... Good luck.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits