Thread: should I put chewie on a diet?

should I put chewie on a diet?

well here is the thing ever since I got her spayed she has gained 10 and a half pounds is this normal should I be concerned ?.... I have not changed how much I feed her should I ?? ....she is doing all her normal attivitys(sp? sorry can't spell well tonight ) any suggestions and advice would be great thanks in advance
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

I am not sure whether gaining weight is normal or not. But I have heard that spaying will affect the hormone and could very well affect the weight. Call your vet and ask for advise is my best bet.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

It is kind of normal and yes you should change how much she eats. A 10 pound weight gain is a lot of weight for any size dog, and I believe Chewie is a smallish one?

Spaying affects the hormones which in turn slows down a dog's metabolism. They don't need as many calories as they once did.
    How much are you feeding her right now? How much does she weigh, and what do you feel would be her perfect weight?

*Thanks Ashley*

yes she is a smallish dog so Iam shocked she gained this much well she wieghed 21.1 pounds when I took her to the vet to get spayed and now she wieghs 31.5 pounds ...... I measured her food this morning to make sure what I was going to put was the right measurements.. and this is how much I feed her1 1/3 kibble and 5.3 oz.....of wet food
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

Winston Churchill

Okay. My 25 pound fairly active female sheltie gets 3/4 cup per day, no wet. My 26 pound very very active male sheltie gets 1 cup per day.

I would cut her food back to 1 cup per day and see if that helps. If she is not losing weight after about a month then cut it back to 3/4. If she is still acting hungry you can mix in some green beans or canned pumpkin to act as a filler.

Good luck with getting the weight off her

*Thanks Ashley*

thanks I will cut it back to a cup and get her to play more ...
    KayKay

Winston Churchill