Thread: eating and chewing

Unhappy eating and chewing

I just got a jack russell mix puppy he is 12 months old from a dog pound about 1 month ago. my ? is he really isnt eating all that great should he be eating 2 or 3 times a day,I also want to if he still should be chewing in everything he sees.
    christy sinclair

He might chew alot of things because he hasn't really had a chance to be in a house/family environment so he needs to learn, and as far as the eating goes if you just got him he probably won't eat for a couple of days because he is trying to get used to his new living conditons. I wouldn't worry about it too much give him a few days and he'll probably start eating.

Welcome to pet talk by the way, I hope you enjoy being here. I have 4 dogs.

What do you mean by "he really isnt eating all that great should he be eating 2 or 3 times a day"?

Do you mean, he's not eating 2/3 times a day but eating once? Or.. not eating at all?

As for chewing, even if he absolutely must chew something, it should never be everything he sees. Provide alternatives for him to chew on and make it clear that he isn't allowed to chew on your things.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

If he's 12 months old, twice a day feedings should be sufficient. Maybe one meal larger than the other. If he gets a lot of treats, he won't be hungry at mealtime.

Provide toys that he can chew on (like a kong or cow hoof) when you see him chewing on something he shouldn't. Don't give him anything like an old shoe--he won't know the difference between an old one and a good one.

And welcome to PetTalk.

Mary