Thread: Licking metal objects

Question Licking metal objects

My nine year old chow/cocker mix has taken up licking on metal objects. I can get her to stop momentarily, but she will get back to it. Her favorite is the metal decorations on my coffee table. She has licked what ever protection was on them and they are now getting rusty. I've checked all my books and cannot find any information on this subject. Does anybody have answers? Thank you!

Maybe she wants salt? My rabbit will lick the wood in the doorways of our old house but could be diverted with a plate with salt on it. She hasn't done so since Logan sent little round salt licks that she apparently likes better than the one in her cage, which she has never bothered with.

I wonder if a trip to the vet is in order? Maybe she's got something wrong that makes her want salt - or iron? This is a wild stab in the dark, I have no medcical background whatsoever ...

Is she otherwise eating and drinking normally?

P.S. Welcome to Pet Talk!

Thank you for your quick reply. I also thought she might be wanting more salt, but I was afraid that giving her salt was not a good idea. She drinks and eats normally, in fact, she behaves normally except for licking metal. I'm going to try giving her extra salt and see if that helps.

I am not sure if I have ever heard of this kind of obsession,,, but wow,, it sure is a neat one,,, Ummm,,,, perhaps she just likes the feel of the metal on her tongue? Maybe a chat with a vet and or a animal behaviourist is order??

Welcome ot Pet talk!!