Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marius and heart murmur

Marius and heart murmur

I had my husband bring Sergei in for his annual vaccines this afternoon, and I had him bring Marius along because one of his softpaw caps hadn't come off yet and his nail was way overgrown. I figured since Sergei was going in for vaccines anyway, we could have them trim that one overgrown nail for us. I'm ok with cutting Marius' nails usually, but since it was so long I was paranoid about cutting into the quick.
    Anyway, I guess the doctor found a heart murmur when he examined Marius. Does anyone have any experience with this or know what that means? My husband left me a message here at work, and said that they were running a blood test, and also recommended some other test that is going to run around $350! I called him back, and I was on the verge of tears because Marius is my baby and I don't want anything to happen to him. Aaron said he was waiting for a call black regarding the blood test, and they had given him some medicine to take home. I told Aaron to just go ahead with whatever test it is that they suggested, so when the doc calls back, he will Ok it.
    Now, I'm just worried. Call me a sap, but I'm on the verge of tears about something that I hope is not serious.

Any thoughts??

Hear murmurs

Try not to worry I know it's easier said than done.
    My Jersey(RB) had a heart murmur. I had to give him half a St Joseph asprin every day. He died at 12 but I think it was due to his overall not so good health (bronchitis, asthma, allergies). They did a catscan (Ironic I know!) and $900 later they told me it was a heart murmur.
    I believe someone else here adopted a kitty with a heart murmur as well. Let me see if I can find the link.
    It depends on how sever it is but I think that most of the time kitties do just fine with murmurs. I know sometimes they grow out of them. How old is Marius?
    Extra skritches for him tonight...he's had a hard day!
    Claudia

previous post

Oh, Karen! My heart goes out to you and your boy. Here's hoping and praying for good results.

{{hugs}} to ya'll,
    zip

Thank you Claudia and Zip! I sure hope it's not too serious! Thanks for finding that thread. I read through it, so perhaps Marius has something similar? I just hope it doesn't lead into that congestive heart failure. I don't think I could handle losing Marius so soon. I think he's around 7 - 8 years old. It's really hard to say for sure, since he was a "street kitty".

I will update as soon as I find out the results when I get home tonight. All prayers are welcome!

Poor Marius! I am not sure, but, I think most heart murmurs are benign. AND, I think they can come and go. Here is hoping that Marius's is 'no big deal'. Prayers on the way.

I hope that Marius doesn't have any serious problem with his heart murmur.
    Like Cataholic said, many heart murmurs turn out to be mild.
    I sent you a PM about Marius.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about Marius. All fingers and paws crossed there that it's nothing serious. Please keep us posted and give those furbabies kissies from me.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Karen, I'm so sorry to hear that Marius has a heart murmur. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please keep us updated and take care.

Keeping Marius and Mommy in my thoughts and prayers!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

{{{Karen, Aaron, and all the little furkids, esp. Marius}}}

I know nothing about heart murmurs in cats, but a relative had one and with medicine lead a normal life. Fingers and paws crossed here that you can get more news applicable to your situation and that it's good. I know your precious chug-baby has meant so much to you in trying times.

Please keep us informed.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Poor Marius....Poor you. {{{HUGS}}}

What you need to do is ask the vet what GRADE murmur did he hear? I am not an expert but 1, 2 or even 3 should not give you any reason to be concerned. It is something you monitor to make sure it does not get worse. 4 or 5 could mean bad news.

Willow has grade 3 heart murmur but he is fine. We have not done any extra test and he doesn't need medication or anything. We just monitor it to make sure it does not get worse.

I'm so sorry to hear that Marius has a heart murmur. I don't know anything about it, but I do hope it's a mild case and he can live a normal life with medication.

Hugs to you and kisses to Marius!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

The test is probably an echocardiogram, or a heart ultrasound. Heart murmurs are actually really common; they happen when the little valves in the heart don't close just so. An echo could determine how bad it is. Good luck with your Marius kitty!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Positive thoughts and prayers on the way for your precious Marius and (((((HUGS))))) to you for support.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010