Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Recipes - Soup!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    I also have a Creamy White Bean and Sausage soup that was out of this world. I made that for our Harvest Luncheon at school and it as a hit.
    This one sounds yummy to me!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Creamy White Bean and Sausage Soup

This soup gets better as it sits. By the 2nd day, the flavor of the Chorizo was all through it, and just yummy! If you don't like hot sausage, plain sausage can be used as well.

Creamy White Bean And Chorizo Soup
    Bon Appétit | February 2006

Since the beans need to soak overnight, be sure to begin one day ahead. Spicy Italian sausage is a good substitute for the chorizo. You can also use canned white beans to cut out the soaking time, which is what I did.

Makes 6 main-course servings.

1 pound dried cannellini or Great Northern beans (generous 2 cups)
    8 cups water
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    3 garlic cloves; 1 smashed, 2 chopped
    1 large fresh rosemary sprig
    1 bay leaf
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
    1 large carrot, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
    1 large celery stalk, coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
    2 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme, divided
    4 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
    1 pound fresh chorizo link sausages, casings removed
    1/4 cup whipping cream

Place beans in heavy large saucepan. Add enough water to pan to cover beans by 4 inches. Let beans soak overnight at room temperature. Drain and rinse beans; return to same saucepan. Add 8 cups water, 1 tablespoon oil, smashed garlic clove, rosemary, and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer until beans are just tender, 1 to 11/2 hours. Season to taste with salt. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool slightly, cover, and chill.)

Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid. Discard rosemary sprig and bay leaf. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are beginning to soften, about 10 minutes. Add chopped garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme; sauté 2 minutes. Add 2 cups reserved bean cooking liquid, 4 cups chicken broth, and beans. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Cool soup 10 minutes. Meanwhile, sauté chorizo in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up lumps with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Transfer chorizo to paper towels to drain. Using slotted spoon, remove 1 1/2 cups bean mixture from soup; reserve. Working in batches, puree remaining soup in blender until smooth. (OR, do what I did, and use an Immersion Blender, and puree right in the pot. Much less mess!!) Return puree to pot. Stir in reserved whole-bean mixture, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, chorizo, and cream. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill uncovered until cold. Cover and keep chilled.) Rewarm soup over medium heat, thinning with more broth if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Divide soup among bowls and serve.

This is a soup I may want to try soon - from COOKS.COM

CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP

2 tbsp. butter
    1/2 c. chopped carrots
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. chopped celery
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 lg. potato, diced
    6 c. chicken broth
    Bay leaf
    1/4 tsp. thyme
    1 head broccoli
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    Salt to taste
    2 c. half & half cream

In stock pot, melt butter and saute carrots, onions, celery, garlic and potato 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, bay leaf, and thyme. Cut off broccoli flowerets and add to pot. Peel stems, cut into chunks, add to pot. Lower heat and simmer 30 minutes until tender. Remove bay leaf. Puree mixture in food processor or blender. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in cream. Heat, do not boil.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    This is a soup I may want to try soon - from COOKS.COM

CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP

2 tbsp. butter
    1/2 c. chopped carrots
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. chopped celery
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 lg. potato, diced
    6 c. chicken broth
    Bay leaf
    1/4 tsp. thyme
    1 head broccoli
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    Salt to taste
    2 c. half & half cream

In stock pot, melt butter and saute carrots, onions, celery, garlic and potato 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, bay leaf, and thyme. Cut off broccoli flowerets and add to pot. Peel stems, cut into chunks, add to pot. Lower heat and simmer 30 minutes until tender. Remove bay leaf. Puree mixture in food processor or blender. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in cream. Heat, do not boil.
    Oh boy, another yummy soup! I love PT!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Lasagna Soup!
    Ingredients
    1 lb bulk Italian sausage
    2 cups onions, chopped
    1 cup carrot, diced
    2 cups mushrooms, sliced
    2 tablespoons garlic, minced
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
    1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 cup mafalda pasta or campenelle pasta
    2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
    1 cup provolone cheese or fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (for garnish)
    4 teaspoons thinly sliced fresh basil (for garnish)
    Directions
    1 Brown sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; saute 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, and saute another 3 minutes.
    2 Add broth, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. Drop in pasta and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted.
    3 Place 1/4 cup cheese into serving bowls and pour soup on top. Garnish with Parmesan and basil.

• I of course adapted it to my tastes.
    • I used Ground Pork AND Beef.
    • I used 6 cans of chicken broth
    • I used the LARGE can of DICED tomotoes.
    • I used dried basil mixed in the soup.
    • I used Natural Cheese Crumbles b/c I couldn't find provolone and this town didn't have Fresh Mozzeralla.
    • I used Piccolini® Mini Farfalle b/c I couldn't find the mafalda pasta or campenelle pasta in this town either.
    • I used maybe a half tsp of minced garlic.
    • No onion.
    • I used One large can of mushroom pieces and stems.
    • and I used Shredded Carrots - they cooked faster.
    • And FROZEN chopped spinach. -
    • I divided it up and took a bowl to my neighbors. When I was putting it in my bowls for the freezer - I thought it needed more juice to make it soupier so I added a LARGE can of CRUSHED tomatoes.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I just made a pot of soup this past weekend. I used Trader Joe's Mixed Bean soup mix. It's not really a soup mix, but it is a nice mix of soup beans. I sort-of followed the directions on the bag, except I left out the bell pepper because I hate them and the tomatoes because my soup pot just wasn't big enough to hold everything.

Next time I will get a bigger pot and add the tomatoes because it just seemed to lack something. Also because of that lack, I kept adding in different things - sage, thyme, red pepper flakes and last but not least some red curry - and ended up with a really good soup!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Twice this season I have made a big ole pot of 15 bean soup - it is also used with a dried assortment of beans and is made by Hurst HamBeen's. It comes in several flavors and I prefer the ham. Soak them in a crockpot overnight and then turn it on the next morning. I throw in raw onions, leftover ham or porkroast etc and a can of Rotel tomatos with green chilis. Sometimes I will add in some chili powder and cumin for a mexican-type taste. YUM!!! Wonderful with a pan of cornbread

I will dig out a few favorite recipes now that soup weather is here - I make it at least once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post

• I used One large can of mushroom pieces and stems.
    Did the mushrooms scream?

-------------

Split pea soup.

I take a bag of peas and either-soak overnight or do the quick cook method on the package.

1 bag of peas - 1 lb?
    Two carrots,
    Two cloves of garlic,
    2 celery stalks.
    Two med potatoes
    I chunk of salt pork, 1 ham steak (1 lb.) or two ham hocks

Cut the ham or salt pork into small chunks. set aside
    Chop all the veggies into small chunks.

Heat up a soup pot and add oil, crush the garlic - add to pot and cook for a minute. Add the veggies and meat, cook for about three to five minutes, add a gallon of water. Wait about 10 minutes and add peas - cook until tender.

To make a creamy soup - take half of the finished product, blend and return to pot. Serve with croutons on top.

I left out salt and other spices because you know what you like!

I've got white beans in the crock pot for the creamy white bean soup tonight.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Mulligatawny Soup

I'm making this later this week, since I have apples that need to be eaten.

Mulligatawny Soup

One onion, diced
    1/4 c. butter
    1 carrot, diced
    1 stalk celery, diced
    1 green pepper, sliced
    1 apple, peeled and cut into chunks
    1 c. cooked chicked, cut up
    1/3 c. flour
    1 tsp. curry powder
    1/8 tsp. mace
    2 whole cloves
    1 sprig fresh parsley
    2 c. chicken stock

Saute onion in butter in deep pot. Add carrots, celery, green pepper, apple and chicken. Stir in remaining ingredients gradually. SImmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot.

This is one of the yummiest soups I've ever had.

WTF? Stay outta my head.
    I swear to George....

I went to the store and bought three bags of beans/peas.

15 bean soup, white beans and split peas...

So where were you all while I was shopping?

I have lentils out the wazoo... well, not literally, lol, but you know what I mean.

I went to the arabic store and bought orange and green lentils, and didn't realize how few lentils you need to make soup. I now have a cereal box tupperware container with each of them in it.

I've made lentils so many different ways, I'm really getting tired of them!

Any other ideas for lentils???

No idea for lentils, but I've been meaning to make O'Charley's Loaded Potato Soup for weeks. I finally purchased the ingredients and realized that I'll be dog sitting at someone's house starting on Friday. I don't want to make it and let it just sit around. I guess I won't get my soup until next week sometime. I did make chili last weekend though!

ETA: Jenn, the picture in your signature is beautiful. I just took one that reminds me of it at the house where I'll be dog sitting. They always have the most beautiful driveway in the fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    ETA: Jenn, the picture in your signature is beautiful. I just took one that reminds me of it at the house where I'll be dog sitting. They always have the most beautiful driveway in the fall!
    I found it on Photobucket images, lol. Reminds me of where I grew up in the Poconos.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    I have lentils out the wazoo... well, not literally, lol, but you know what I mean.

Any other ideas for lentils???
    You may want to call your health care provider, I know nothing of Wazoos!

Are they similar to peas?

Recipes please?