Thread: Need companion dog for old dog

Need companion dog for old dog

I have a 13 year old male American Staffy/English Bull Terrier Cross. He is beautiful. A few years ago we got a kelpie female to keep him company.

The male got a new lease on life and seemed 5 years younger. The kelpie however seems to need lots of space - no surprise really since they are working dogs. She chews things (everything) my couch, my magazines, the carpet, rugs, anything that doesn't move on its own. My mother is here visiting and has fallen in love with the kelpie. My mother lives at a place where there is lots of room to run and she has a kelpie of similar age herself. Every day her dogs gets walked over 10 kilometres to a water fall. Her lifestyle is very suitable for kelpies.

Problem. Kelpie will be much better off with my mother. But what about the old boy? I want him to enjoy his last years with us and not be lonely. He is a barker though we have tried citronella collars and the only thing that seems to shut him up is if we let him go in and out of the house as he pleases when we are not there (through a pet door) AND if I let him sleep in the bedroom ON MY BED.

OKOKOKOK he is spoilt and I have been a very bad doggy mom. I admit I am much better with cats. What should I do? I want to send the kelpie to the life she deserves. But I want the old dog to have company. I'd like to get a small dog (never had one and I think they are cute) but any new dog will learn bad barking habits off the older dog.

Is it possible to get a new little dog and train it well, and it will be good even though the older dog is not trained and barks too much? I will spend whatever it would take to make this work, but maybe I'm kidding myself that it will work out ok.

Your thoughts are welcome.....(be gentle with me)
    Last edited by Sky; 07-21-2004 at 05:36 AM.
    Sky... aka Yasmin

Please understand that I am approaching your question from my own experiences and those of my past dogs. This may not be translated to your situation nor that of your dogs.

First thing to note is that you have the well being of two dogs to think about, not just the older dog. I think you are right that the Kelpie might be better off with your mother who has the time and environment to give her the needed training and stimulation.

Your 13 your old male is approaching some very challenging years. Although you say that having the other dog around has envigorated him, advancing age may soon hamper his ability to relate to a younger dog. My Tizzie was about 12 when we got our Hannah as a puppy. She did a good job in helping to *raise Hannah* but after about a year, she slowed down considerably and couldn't keep up with the youngster. It made for a rather inappropriate relationship as Hannah would attempt to be mean to her. The onset of physical and mental disabilities due to Tizzie's advancing age offset any benefit another dog was able to play in her life.

How much time are you able to spend with your older dog? Won't the demands of raising another dog take away some of the quality time that you could devote to your older buddy? I really don't have an answer to your dilema, hopefully some of the others can bring more insight. Consider all aspects of pros and cons carefully before you make your decision.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Maybe you could foster a more mature dog to see how your older dog accepts it. Or consider adopting a more mature dog from a shelter? Not a rambunctious puppy. It does sound like your mom's place would be ideal for the Kelpie. Welcome to PetTalk by the way Have you pictures of your guys you could post?
    Laurie

Originally posted by lbaker
    Maybe you could foster a more mature dog to see how your older dog accepts it. Or consider adopting a more mature dog from a shelter? Not a rambunctious puppy. It does sound like your mom's place would be ideal for the Kelpie. Welcome to PetTalk by the way Have you pictures of your guys you could post?
    Laurie
    I agree,,, perhaps an older dog from a shelter might be a good idea.. I know here at the shelter in my home town,, you can bring your dog to meet the perspective adoptee... get them to meet and see how they get along and all...

Best of luck,, and oh,,, you can never spoil your baby too much,,

get another of the same breed try to get a dog the same age about it will be easirer for tehm to prolly settle in together
    Layka