Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Handsome Siamese Eli...who has cerebellar hypoplasia

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

My Handsome Siamese Eli...who has cerebellar hypoplasia

This is my very handsome, smart blue-point siamese Eli who was born with a pretty severe case of cerebellar hypoplasia, but gets around very well. He's a very messy eater, and walks like a drunken sailor, but otherwise he's a loving sweet boy!

I like to lounge around...until the next meal!

Eyeballing the dreaded stairs...who's coming upstairs to see me?

My meowmie has to watch herself at night! My claws are like daggers, and when I get on the bed....she gets impaled by me...heeee, heee, hee!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

What exactly is cerebellar hypoplasia? Is it something to do with balance (you mentioned it in your thread)? Eli is very beautiful. I love his coloring!
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

Originally posted by aki
    What exactly is cerebellar hypoplasia? Is it something to do with balance (you mentioned it in your thread)? Eli is very beautiful. I love his coloring!
    It is caused by the mother cat contracting panleukopenia while pregnant. If the cat survives the virus, her developing kittens are often affected to varying degrees with brain damage. It affects the portion of the brain (the cerebellum) which is responsible for balance. Eli's littermates were all CH to a degree, but poor Eli was hit the hardest. It can be avoided if people were more responsible about vaccinating their pets ( FVRCP, altering, and not abandoning them) but I don't see it happening too soon. *sigh*
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

Re: My Handsome Siamese Eli...who has cerebellar hypoplasia

Originally posted by QueenScoopalot

I like to lounge around...until the next meal!

Me too, LOL!!!!

You have given Eli such a good home . He is extra handsome. I love his black nosey and the shape of his mouth/jaw area.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

He is sooo beautiful! I love the last pic, he looks exactly like what you typed.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

VERY special hugs and kisses to Eli from me! You know how I feel about special kitties by now, so make it a VERY special hug and kiss!! Maybe someday, him and Amy can get together and swap handicap stories.. One thing he has going for him, he is VERY handsome, his coat looks so sleek and velvety and those dreamy eyes
    ****SWOON ****

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

There is a little baby named Isis in Siamese Rescue now.
    She has CH.

Is the only way you get CH from Panleuk?

Her two brothers have eye issues, one had his little eye removed today.
    But I know he'll be fine, and Isis will be too.

Here's her info.

PERSONAL INFO
    Name:Â_Â_Isis
    Center:Â_VA
    ID:Â_VA2693
    Loc:Â_Â_South Carolina
    Sex:Â_female
    Declawed:Â_no

Not kids under 6

Foster:Â_Spear
    ISIS
    Well my eyes seem to have cleared up but now they have found out that I have a condition with a long name, Cerebellar Hypoplasia. The name is bigger than I am. This means I am special and will need a special home and adopter. I have a congenital condition which affects my motor skills and my contol of motion. Everyone says that I will learn to compensate for my disabilities and live a happy life. I know this is possible because foster mom says so and because I don't know that I am different. I love to play like my brothers. I just can't do all that they do right now. Give me time though. I can already cuddle well. Foster: Cindy, Updated 7/1/04.

You are a good person to adopt a Special needs kitty. He is adorable
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

T&P Yup...the caption fits Eli to a T
    Laura...I'll give Eli a kiss on his velveteen pussywillow head for you!
    Rose..This is the only way a kitten can contract ch is from the mom cat, but there's been a few cases where very young kittens can come down with panleuk. aka distemper, and if they survive the virus, they may be affected. I have rescued quite a few feral born ch kittens, and managed to adopt out a few, but tend to have an extra soft spot for the special needs ones, and hog them for myself! Isis sounds gorgeous! I hope a special home comes through for her. I've been a member of the ch kitty club for years now, and it's a great source for support, and info as well. They are at [email protected], but people have to sign up. I've posted the link for the site too[email protected] I have quite a few stories of my special kitties there. Click ch kitty club link, then members, then there's 2 columns..one is ch kitties, and at the top it says jump to kitties with other disabilities....yup more there.
    Author Unknown ~*~

Eli is so fantastically gorgeous!!! I love his coloring and his fur looks like velvet. I am also so much in awe that there are people so willing to open their heart and homes to special kitties with special needs. Makes me feel really good I guess that is why I love it here so much!! How about planting a kiss for me right between Eli's eyes and up justa little - right there..yes.*SMOOCH*

Deb...this kiss will be delivered if Eli can stop that bobbing long enough! My handsome bobble-head boy! He has a mean streak which thankfully doesn't come up often. One cat I rescued years back was torured by Eli. I had to put her food and litterpan away from him (he can't jump, but climbs) as he'd sit and wait for her and then WHAM...tryed to kill her! Luckily the cat got a home. Eli generally gets along fine with newcomers, but for some reason hated this poor cat! Kissies coming up Eli...my handsome pussywillow bud!
    Author Unknown ~*~

re: virus

jan- not everyone knows what panlukepenia is! Say distemper instead!!! People are told to get distemper vaccines which cover the panluk- whatever virus- the important thing is to get the distemper vaccine and booster on time (is my understanding).
    pixie

Queen,

I already gave that yahoo link over to our yahoo, there the foster mama of Isis has already expressed interest in it.

Curious, the Mom cat is in rescue too. Doesn't seem to have had distemper. And the two brothers are o.k., except eye problems, after they all had URI.

I appreciate any education I can get.

BTW, Eli is so adorable. My Snowy is a big blue boy too. I just love them.

Originally posted by rosethecopycat
    Queen,

I already gave that yahoo link over to our yahoo, there the foster mama of Isis has already expressed interest in it.

Curious, the Mom cat is in rescue too. Doesn't seem to have had distemper. And the two brothers are o.k., except eye problems, after they all had URI.

I appreciate any education I can get.

BTW, Eli is so adorable. My Snowy is a big blue boy too. I just love them.
    Rose, I'm not too sure that's the right link for Yahoo groups
    Community email addresses:
    Post message: [email protected]
    Subscribe: [email protected]
    Unsubscribe: [email protected]
    List owner: [email protected]

Shortcut URL to this page:
    http://www.onelist.com/community/chkittyclub
    This is from the digest that I get daily. It has the address to sign up, and it's a very active group!! There's a lot of info on the ch kitty club website as well. Google search 'cerebellar hypoplasia' and it's one of the first sites to pop up! I have five of these special kitties...almost all were born as ferals. They have a lot of spunk!
    Author Unknown ~*~

contracting ch

Jan- and others- I had a pregnant stray who had 4 healthy kittens that at age 5 weeks suddenly began to weaken and loose balance, all in various degrees. I believe the exercises prescribed did help some (loose towel ramp to make them climp up and down to strengthen muscles) but their ch was from mother who, I was told, likely had distemper AT SOME POINT in her life (ie not contracted during pregnancy necessarily) and she survived it but it is dormant, so to speak in her system. (perhaps they develop antibodies that aren't transferred to fetuses?) Remember her- she's in Rockport now with her kids in a good home...
    pixie