Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turtle in the yard

This is the third "turtle sighting" in our yard in three years. We live across the street from a creek, and I guess that is where these guys are coming from, along with the possums, snakes, etc. I live in a residential subdivision!

The first one was bigger than a frisbee, according to my neighbor, who found it in my backyard. I was away for the day, and she said my dogs, Honey and Lilly, were barking hysterically. Two of my neighbors came over to investigate, and there was a huge turtle trying to get past the fence in the backyard. She said my dogs were two afraid to touch it, but were having a stroke over it! They put it on a frisbee to carry it, and let it go outside of the fence. We'll never know how it got in to start with! The next ones were in the front yard, one last summer, and the one you saw in the picture. They were almost identical in looks and size. I'm going to check out that link you posted. Thanks!

Be careful about turtles that are the size of frizbees.

Seriously, it may be a snapping turtle. If large enough, they can crush through bone. And wouldn't hesitate to do it to someone carrying them. They also have very sharp claws as do most aquatic turtles. Best way to carry it is by it's long tail. Keep all extremities away from it's mouth. Their heads are very quick to bite.

You're so lucky to live in a place with Box Turtles. They are very friendly. They may be shy though, being in the wild. Find some worms for them(if it doesn't gross you out). ALso they love fruit and lettuce. They may make your house a regular stop for food.

ALso, if you take them out of their habitat, they will spend the rest of their lives looking for their home. They remember their territory, every nook and cranny and know where to find food. Many people make the mistake of relocating a wild turtle or putting them in their home as pets. Some die looking for their territory. They will walk and walk, sometimes not eating or being hit by cars. So be careful about that.

------------------

Igor Inc. (c)2001

Ben, your post reminds me of a turtle rescue my son and I accomplished when he was about 10-

It was right before one of his soccer games, and he had announced that our upstairs neighbor had found a turtle and put it in the creek at a park near our house. I started asking questions and found out that the turtle had been found in the vacant lot next door, and she had taken it blocks away and placed it in the water! We flew out of the house, as I explained to my son that not all turtles live in water, and if he was found in a field, that's where he needed to be! (How can people be so ingnorant?) We got to the park and started searching for where he had been dropped in the water. It had been raining heavily and the creek was swollen and rushing. I didn't think there was any hope, but my son wanted to keep looking. Luckily, he had his soccer cleats on (after all, we had been on the way to his game) so he was able to climb up and down the muddy banks. Just as we were about to give up, my son spotted him, clinging to a piece of wood close to the bank. We got him and returned him to his tree in the vacant lot where he had been found.

I don't know what kind of turtle he was, but he looked like Logan's. Now that I know he may have been missing his home as well as having almost drowned, I'm glad my son missed his game that day to rescue the little guy!

good job! I bet you made that turtle very happy.

He was probably scared stiff when that river began to swell.

Turtles come up on our patio all the time. When Boogie was younger, he tried playing with one. He never did it again. He learned to leave turtles alone. I'm just going to test this to see if I can post a pic of Boogs.

-Mary

Yep. Here's that mischevious feline! I'll post another one ASAP.
    -Mary

Well, it seems that the turtles like us! This morning, I hear all this whining and whimpering outside, and went to investigate. It is Honey and Lilly's turn. The box turtle I found is about a foot beyond our fence and they were digging like crazy to get to him. I couldn't get to him to move him out of their line of vision because he is settled in a very dense part of my neighbor's yard. He's just in his shell resting (or playing dead), and they are about to have a stroke. I don't know if he was in the yard, or just strolling by on the other side of the fence. Of course, Butter had to get in on the action to, and jumped the fence and just squatted and stared at the poor turtle. He doesn't sit still too long though, so he is back in the house, and Honey and Lilly are staring at the turtle, just waiting for him to make a move.
    Tried to do better with my pictures this time, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

About three days ago I had to make kitling drop a baby bird that was trying to learn to fly. It flew away, but was bleeding. I hope it made it.

poor little guy. I had an incident like that in my house. My cat caught one of my finches. He survived the ride he got around the apartment in Zezu's Jaws.

------------------

Igor Inc. (c)2001

Here's my Lilly going after Turtle #2. You can't see the turtle, but believe me, she was almost to him on the other side of the fence, until I crawled in the bushes and relocated him to the other side, out of sight!

And in this one, you can barely catch sight of the turtle in the bushes, right through the fence.

Looks like a box turtle.

I think I have a box turtle too.
    He is only the size of a half dollar and we found him in the swimming pool, remember?
    Do you think I should let him go? I did not know they were that serious about their territory/ homes. He is being kept in a big whiskey barrel. So far he is doing good, but mentally, I don't know? What do you experts think?

Only the size of a half dollar? He's a youngin'. I bet he doesn't have much memory of a territory yet. I think it may be illegal to capture him if he's under a certain length though.

Does he seem happy? Is He eating, basking? do you let him out to roam?

Send us a pic of him if you have one. So we can see what kind he is.

thanks,
    Ben

Check out the message boards at:
    www.turtletimes.com

those folks know a lot more than I do about turtles. plus it is the same message board set up as here so it is easy to use.

Rich brought a painted turtle home for me to see recently; it was venturing out into the road. I'm so glad we took it back to where it was trying to cross, and put it on the other side hopefully at its intended destination. I had read somewhere that if you encounter a turtle in the road, always put it safely on the other side in the same direction it was going. BUT first I had to observe it for awhile (because I love wildlife) so I put some water in a Rubbermaid tub with a basking rock. My elderly Lily cat was predictably unimpressed, and my young Meeshe cat was quite wary and cautious upon approaching - he wasn't quite sure what to make of this creature! Rich thought he had rescued a Box turtle, and told me if I put him in water he would surely drown. I didn't think he looked like a Box because his shell was not domed; it was rather flat, and he had long aquatic claws. I researched on the internet and determined him to indeed be a painted; he did enjoy staying underwater! All is well that ends well, and I hope he has found his home turf. I had no idea that turtles will long for their original territory forever; how sad that people don't realize this when they chose to make a pet out of a wild turle.

------------------
    Regards ~ AvaJoy
    =^.".^=