Thread: tick preventitives...

tick preventitives...

does anyone know any tick preventitives that are pretty safe? Ticks tend to go to Happy, and she brings them into the house, but she has an EXTREMLY sensitive tummy, and the chemicals in most tick preventives make her very very sick.. so any ideas?
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Frontline can be used for ticks too. You have to use it monthly if it's for ticks. It won't hurt Happy's tummy because it isn't taken orally.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

hmmmm I checked out the frontline website, but I dont think that would work.. it says its not a repellent
    so ticks will still attach before they die.
    the biggest problem is that they DONT attach to Happy, they just hold on to her coat and hop off once they are in my house or yard, and attach to my other dogs and start running all over my house, I found one just above my bed a few days ago. would the stuff still kill them?
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

ooo thanks ash I will try that one! my mom will go for anything natural and it wont harm Happy
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

Originally posted by cali
    hmmmm I checked out the frontline website, but I dont think that would work.. it says its not a repellent
    Yeah, from what I hear them say at work none of them actually repell or as they put it "creat a bubble around your pet". lol Isn't that kinda funny... hehe Anywho, once they get on the dog it will kill them though.
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

I would go with bio-spot. it isn't taken orally and it repells all types of fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. It doesn't cost very much, either. Just stay away from anything for fleas/ticks taken orally because they can cause liver and kidney damage over time.
    Go to :
    www.canidae.com for the best dog and cat foods ever made!!! It did wonders on my pet.

Originally posted by cali
    hmmmm I checked out the frontline website, but I dont think that would work.. it says its not a repellent the biggest problem is that they DONT attach to Happy, they just hold on to her coat and hop off once they are in my house or yard, and attach to my other dogs and start running all over my house, I found one just above my bed a few days ago. would the stuff still kill them?
    Oh sorry, I didn't know that. We only use it for fleas. All I remember my vet saying is that if it was for ticks we should use it monthly.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Treating your house and yard are just about the only way to totally eradicate the ticks. And doing that, depending on how you choose to do it, could be risky to the health of your pets. I have resorted to chemical treatments of my yard in the past, but only when I knew that I could keep my cats and dogs out of there for at least 24 hours while the treatment worked and the grass and beds dried.

Frontline Plus is a great product, but like you said, it works when the ticks bite, which is a good thing, but if your animals are bringing in ticks, further action in treating your yard and home are probably necessary.

Good luck!

I'd heard Bio-Spot doesn't do a good job, is that true?
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

Yes, Bio Spot does do a great job because I use it on all my dogs and they have never had a problem with fleas or ticks. The only thing is that if you bathe them it automatically all comes off and you have to re-apply it.
    Go to :
    www.canidae.com for the best dog and cat foods ever made!!! It did wonders on my pet.

Oh cool
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*