Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog food questions...

Dog food questions...

Jasper ran out of food, so I need to ask a couple questions...

Is adult food fine for him?(He's 10 months old), also what are the pros/cons or differences of putting a dog on adult food, or keeping a dog on puppy food?

Also, I wanted to keep him on Wellness, since I like how it doesn't have corn, boxers aren't good..at all, with corn, but Im not babysitting anymore, and also paying alot soon for my school course in September.

So I need to ask which of these cheaper foods are better, ingredient/quality wise...

-Purina One
    Ingredients:
    Lamb, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, oat meal, fish meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal, natural flavors, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, brewers dried yeast, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

-Pedigree(Not sure about this one, but my RB lab lived his whole life on this, and was so shiny and healthy, and Jasper was also on this when we first got him, and he loved it)
    Ingredients:
    GROUND YELLOW CORN( Ack! First ingredient ), CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, RICE, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, SOURCE OF VITAMIN E), NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, WHEAT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, WHEAT FLOUR, CARAMEL COLOR, WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL, CALCIUM CARBONATE, TAURINE*, VITAMINS (DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], CHOLINE CHLORIDE,L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A ACETATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), MARIGOLD MEAL (SOURCE OF LUTEIN*), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

-Alpo(Not sure about this one either)
    Ingredients:
    Ground yellow corn(Ack..first again), beef and bone meal, soybean meal, beef tallow preserved with BHA, animal digest, chicken by-product meal, salt, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, added color (red 40), manganese sulfate, niacin, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, brewers dried yeast, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, natural flavor, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Suggestions/Opinions..anything?

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Personally, I'd go with something that has Lamb as the first ingredient. Simply because you don't want tons of fillers and hardly any meat. Anything by-product I would stay away from, only because who knows what they're throwing in there. I think you should go with either the Purina or the Pedigree. I've seen dogs on Alpo have MAJOR gas problems, icky poops and stuff like that. But, honestly, go with what you can afford. We've all been there. As long as they get food, it's ok. No one will think any less of you for going with cheap food for once. Goodness knows I've had to get Ol Roy once or twice because I just couldn't afford the good stuff. I was living on top ramen, and I knew my dogs had to eat.

So just get what you can!
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Another thing, soon after I got Charlie my gf and I broke up and I coudln't afford to buy both the adult food and the puppy food, so he went on to adult food. Personally, I don't think he's any worse for wear. In fact, I know a lot of people don't like to feed their puppies puppy food because it can cause other problems. So I wouldn't worry about that either.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Thanks, I think Im going to go with the Purina One.

Im glad nobody will think less of me, I just hope that this switch doesn't make his skin problem worse!

I would live on bread and butter if I had to, so Jasper could eat

BTW-I *LOVE* your new signature, did you change Roxxy's name? I think Anna & Arthur sounds so cute!!!

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Yep, we did change her name.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...threadid=53360
    We thought it sounded better.

Jasper's skin would be my only concern with going to a different food, but unfortunately you gotta do what you gotta do. Like I said, you're doing what you can. You're not starving him, and we all know how much you love him. And the fact that you're trying to do it all pretty much by yourself is commendable. I know a lot of adults who wouldn't care as much. If you start babysitting again or anything, you could always just stock up on the better food. I've done that a few times too. And I don't think there's a single person on PT who wouldn't gladly go without so their animals had what they needed. It's what makes us who we are.
    -- Immanuel Kant

btw, did you get my pm about the best friends thing?
    -- Immanuel Kant

Originally posted by DogLover9501
    Im glad nobody will think less of me
    No way! I agree out of those 3 choices that Purina One would probably be best ingredient wise. I am also not sure how Pro Plan compares in price but my collies were on that when my finances were tighter, the turkey and barley formula, and they did well with it. On the other hand I don't know that Pro Plan is available at the grocery store and I think Purina ONE usually is.

As others in the other dog food thread have stated, what is important is that he is fed and loved.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I'd go with Purina One.

There shouldn't be a problem with you switching him to an adult formula right now. Some people (especially those with larger breeds) feed adult formula instead of puppy because there is less stress on the bones. Puppy formulas make them grow at a rapid rate. The adult formulas allow them to grow at a steady rate.

Don't worry about what type of food you feed, so long as you're actually feeding him! We've been going through some money troubles recently and I've had to mix in some sample dog food packs with their regular dog food just so it'll last longer.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I would defiantly go with Purina O.N.E. Nutrition wise you will get your moneys worth best with O.N.E. I'm not a fan of pedigree, as you can see there is no actual meat in it, just fillers.

As for feeding a 10mo. old adult food instead of puppy food, I don't see any problem with that. He's finished growing by now, at least the majority of it. He's such a cutie.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Of those three, definitely Purina One!

Hey, we gotta do what we gotta do when buying food for our pets. As others have said, I don't care what you feed him, as long as he's not hungry.

Just an FYI- you may end up spending as much or nearly as much on the cheaper foods that are full of fillers as you would on the more expensive foods. Dogs have to eat more of the food to feel satisfied, so it can end up costing almost as much as the higher priced foods sometimes.

Thanks everyone!

I also heard that the puppy food makes them grow up too fast.

Well, we just got back, and I got him the Purina One Lamb & Rice Formula, he loves it, he is actually eating it by itself(before to get him tp eat the fish and potato stuff we had to mix in a little soft food with it).

Micki-I was wondering that! I was thinking well if I buy him some food that doesn't satisfy him..nutrition-wise, he'll need more of it. But with the Wellness, I was paying $70 a sack, this way its about $40 or so...I think, and the biggest sack lasts him about 2-3 months(well the Wellness did) so this stuff will probably last 1 month and a half-2 months, So even though is doesn't last as long, we can spend the gas money we would have spent on the Wellness, to get Purina more often(Only one pet store here carries Wellness, and so we would drive about an hour or so to get it)

Ack--sorry for rambling

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Originally posted by DogLover9501
    Micki-I was wondering that! I was thinking well if I buy him some food that doesn't satisfy him..nutrition-wise, he'll need more of it. But with the Wellness, I was paying $70 a sack, this way its about $40 or so...I think, and the biggest sack lasts him about 2-3 months(well the Wellness did) so this stuff will probably last 1 month and a half-2 months, So even though is doesn't last as long, we can spend the gas money we would have spent on the Wellness, to get Purina more often(Only one pet store here carries Wellness, and so we would drive about an hour or so to get it)

Ack--sorry for rambling
    $70 a sack?!?!?! I think I pay 42 for the 30# bag here! And after 8, I get one free. We have a cool specialty store in Plano that I shop at.

Originally posted by micki76
    $70 a sack?!?!?! I think I pay 42 for the 30# bag here! And after 8, I get one free. We have a cool specialty store in Plano that I shop at.
    Yep, I was paying $65.99 for the biggest sack!!

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Hi Doglover!

I order Wellness across the internet and get a 30lb bag for $40.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I would not go with any of those dog foods, ESPECIALLY anything made by purina. They put preservatives in their food called ethoxquin and proplene glycol that can cause very bad damage to their liver and kidneys. I would recommend a food such as innova, canidae, or nature's variety. Canidae is probably the best, and they have an all life stages formula. Take a look at their website. Just don't buy anything from a store; you can't find a good dog food like that.

visit:
    www.canidae.com

www.naturesvariety.com

www.naturapet.com
    (innova)
    Go to :
    www.canidae.com for the best dog and cat foods ever made!!! It did wonders on my pet.