Thread: Stress, travel plans, more stress.....

Stress, travel plans, more stress.....

Ok, you all know my husband is away. I talked to him last night which was nice, but now it looks like he may be gone until late August. This is not good.

Months ago, I booked a flight to see my family. I hate to travel. HATE IT!! I'd be quite happy to never leave the Yukon again. But my entire family lives in Saskatchewan. So to see them I have to fly a couple times a year. I'm supposed to be gone from July 19 to 30. Stuart and I had it all arranged that he would be home to take of the dogs and I would be back by August 1 so he wouldn't miss opening day of moose hunting season.

Now he won't be home. We've never left the animals with anyone, not even overnight! My sister has told my nieces that I am coming to visit. They are counting sleeps til I get there. I would change this trip if I could, but I can't break their little hearts like that. I wish she hadn't told them!! Plus I don't know when I could get two weeks off work again.

So my father-in-law is moving in to take care of the animals while I am gone. He's a nice enough man, but we don't get along particularly well. I know teenagers who are more mature than he is. He also comes from an era when farm dogs were allowed to roam at will. So I am leaving him with strict instructions to do only the most basic of things--feed them, give out medications. Don't walk them, don't move them from pens. Make *&%$ sure you close all the gates.

Some of my dogs would just run to the house if they got out. That's what they do for me, but lots of them won't even come to my husband who they know. They aren't going to come to a stranger. If one of my timid boys gets out, there is no way he'll be able to catch them. No way, it just won't happen.

I have a good friend who handles for a musher with a huge dog yard. I'm going to have her drop in every couple days and make sure things are still alright. I've talked to my vet and let him know in case anything happens.

Argh! I hate leaving, hate it, hate it, hate it!!! Just to make my day brighter--Kayleigh beat up Sirius last night. He doesn't have any wounds, but the poor old guy is so stiff today. My vet hasn't called me back yet. I just want some Metacam for him. Argh.......
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Hang in there! Sometimes it seems like it never rains, but it pours. I hope your FIL does what you tell him to and doesnt decide to get creative. On the upside, at least you'll get to see your family! Just try not to worry about things while you're there. Good luck!
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Re: Stress, travel plans, more stress.....

Originally posted by Glacier

... We've never left the animals with anyone,
    not even overnight!

My sister has told my nieces that I am coming to visit.
    ... but I can't break their little hearts like that.

Plus I don't know when I could get
    two weeks off work again.

... Kayleigh beat up Sirius last night.

Glacier ~

1) Tell Kayleigh to take a Chill Pill and take
    a Tyme Out in the underground den!

As for the Trip ~
    Maybe a nice chat with your Boss...
    "Explain" what Stuart is doing (Fighting WildFires) -
    and that it wasn't *planned*!
    Ask if he couldn't let you re-schedule your time off!

The Nieces?
    I'd bet that Sis can manage to break the news that you WILL be
    visiting - just not quite as soon as was planned.

You'll *enjoy* your vacation / family visit a LOT more if
    you're not worried about the FurKids!

Good Luck!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Phred,
    That was great advice.

Glacier,
    Let us know what you decide. YOU know you won't relax if you leave your darling fur-kids with your FIL.
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."