Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wont bring the ball back.

Yeah, I had this same problem with my corgi.

All I did was just throw it a foot or two for a while, and when he turned around toward me I praised him a whole lot, then gave the command "drop it" and started throwing it further and further and he eventually learned how to fetch, but don't say anythig to them while they are walking back to you, not even a command, because it will distract them and they might put it down again. Also, he's really young and independent. Just be patient and he will get the idea sooner or later. After all, it is his instinct.

Good Luck!
    Go to :
    www.canidae.com for the best dog and cat foods ever made!!! It did wonders on my pet.

Samantha didn't bring the ball back the first couple times I tried to play fetch with her. I think it's because she was very young. I waited awhile before taking her out and attempting it again and it's like the instinct just kicked in and she brought it back to me. Of course, I praised her like crazy and now she won't stop bringing me stuff.

It could just be because your puppy is just that - a young pup. Give him time. If not, pick up a training book for puppies that includes games like fetch and other fun activities for you both.

Wink Wouldn't bring ball back

Hi there, I have an old girl, Tawny and when she was 8 weeks old, on her first night at her new home she retreived, we thought it was just a fluke. So when we saw the vet the next day we mentioned it and all she said was she better retreive, its natural. How small is the ball , make sure its not too small, just small enough for your furbaby to carry and don't let her/him keep it. Be sure to make it a big game and lots of fun. It will come.

Hmmm... So you want to teach your dog to fetch a BALL? Well...so did I. But I found out Major doesn't fetch balls. He runs after them and chews on them if they are plastic, or ignores a tennis ball.. He is not starting to retrieve. It could be an age thing, he is 7 months now. But...you also might want to try different toys. Major still won't fetch balls. But he will occasionally fetch sticks, and, if he is 'in the mood' he will fetch a knotted rope toy. That's basically how he learned to fetch..with that toy. I guess this is what I did. I threw it and threw it until he brought it back to me. (again, toy/age thing) Then he would lay down and start chewing, and I'd pet him for a couple minutes. I never offered food, because than he would be so distracted by it that he wouldn't even chase the rope the next time. I just petted him and let him chew it for a while. Then I threw it again and he would go get it, and bring it back to me(usually) Hope that helps somewhat!

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Hi labman!

I have a golden retriever who turned 1 on sunday and he still won't fetch. We have the same problem as you. We throw the ball and then he goes toget it and just lies down with it. The one thing that we tried that kind-of worked was when we went to the beach and took him we would throw a stick in the water and he has no choice but to swim and bring it back. Then you reward him. Whether it be with an excited voice or a treat. Although when we come home he won't fetch then. He's still really young, you can't expect too much from him- wait till he's a little older. Good luck and keep me posted!

~ Highschool rox ur socks!! Highschool is so amazing and I love it. Hi to everyone on Pet Talk, I know I have not been on for a while, I'm just busy. All of you here that I know rock! Keep up being friendly, posting on Pet Talk and havin fun. Buddy sends kisses. ~

HAHA!! just laughing from reading all the posts...my Sammie fetched at first but then after Maggie came along, she didn't anymore. Maggie, being the lab, will fetch balls non-stop BUT not frisbees. I didn't have to train her at all...lucky me!!! When she wants to play, she'll get her ball and give it to me. She'll even forget to stop for a drink cause she's having so much fun!!!

Good luck with your fetching!!!
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA