Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wont bring the ball back.

Lightbulb wont bring the ball back.

Guys i need help with fetch please. If he knew how to play fetch it would ALOT better for both of us. I own a 13 week lab. Hes beautiful. He can chase, and chase well might i say. But he doesnt bring it back. He just plots on the floor and chews it. I thought retrievers have it in them to retrieve. Guess not. Did anyone else have this problem? Also does anyone know how to make him come back? And advice would be great. Thanks guys
    Labman

got on really quick to reply cos I've had the same problem with Gonzo... he still sometimes stops to chew the ball or goes to get the ball then plays "catch me if ya can" with me. ;P its all fun.

with your labbie, try tossing the ball, wait until he picks it up and turns toward you, then yell in a super excited voice "bring, [doggies name]!".. then run the other way. when he brings the ball to you, and he will, praise him and make a big deal out of it. Also, dont remove the ball from your pups mouth immediately when he brings it.. just wait for him to drop it, then grab the ball and repeat. Its not really "programed" into any dog to retrieve, you've still got to teach your pup what you want from him. be especially lenient about fetching with a 13 week-old. its totally fine for them to want to just play around at that age ^.^ have fun with your pup!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I may have to try that with Anna and Arthur. Anna chases the ball, then gets distracted. Arthur just looks at the ball, then at me, then at the ball and sighs. I'm getting great at fetch tho, lemme tell ya!
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Re: wont bring the ball back.

Originally posted by Labman

... But he doesnt bring it back.

He just plops on the floor and chews it.

Been there; done that!

Mine are Con Artists ~
    "Wanna play *FETCH*??"
    WAG! WAG! WAG! = SURE, Dad - *TOSS* IT!

Couple of "short" *tosses* - they *Fetch* & *Return*

*Wind Up* and give it a 100 foot LONG *toss* =
    "Dat's purdy FAR, Dad - YOU go *Fetch It!"

GRRRRR!

I got tired of that!
    We now have a "modified FETCHING" Tenny Ball ~
    Tenny Ball with two holes punched into it -
    and a 100 foot Heavy Cord tied to it!

After the second or third refusal to "Fetch"...
    I just *reel in* my Tenny Ball and it's Game Over!

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

It's funny, because some dogs "get it," and some dogs just don't. Gracie, our beloved (slightly retarded we think) 3/4 Great Dane 1/4 Lab my family got when I was in high school just did not understand fetch. She didn't even understand that she could catch FOOD thrown to her. We finally gave up, after being afraid somebody'd arrest us for dog abuse for throwing bits of hot dog to her and watching them bounce off her face! Once it hit the ground, if we pointed to it, she'd suddenly discover it and eat it. She never was interested in catching or chasing a ball, so fetch wasn't even remotely possible!

He's young, so being a retreiver just means he probably likes to carry stuff around in his mouth. The "bringing that something back to you" is definitely a learned behavior!

Wont NOT stop bringing!

I have the opposite problem,, My dobie girl wont stop bringing me things,, esp her Kong Balls,,, she will plop it in my lap and her face is in mine until I either laugh and push her away or get up and fill it,,, Ahhh,,, maybe therein lies the problem,, I am a softie and cant NOT fill the kong with her fav snack,,, Cheez Wiz!!!

Hmm,, perhaps it is *I* need the training eh??

When I try to play fetch with my dog Brownie it seems like he really wants to get it. So i throw it and he goes over and sniffs it. If he does not want to chew on it or tear it up he just leaves it there or puts it in his mouth and brings it somewhere different then drops it. He is a very gentle dog and loves to be petted and loves to eat but we need to train him anyway. He also is afraid of water except the water he drinks.
    Dogs

My dog likes fetch, but after she fetches it 5 or 6 times she just stops!
    .:|KrIsTiN|:.

My toller/border-collie mix never stops bringing her toys to me, once I was playing with her for an hour and then I told her that's enough and she stopped but you could tell that she still wanted to play. the good thing about playing with her is that she will bring things back to you after you throw them, she's always done this though even when she was 6 weeks!

For all those ppl. that have dogs that bring things back to u is a thing to cherish. My dog doesnt bring it back, i wish he would. Does anyone know an actual method that teaches him to bring it back?
    Labman

Smile

have you tried calling him in a really happy excited voice when he goes to pick up the ball, my dog's obedience instructor said that doing that sometimes works!

Hey, I was thinking about posting the SAME thing labman. My dog will fetch sticks..usualyl once or twice, but won't go for a ball (unless its plastic, which he then won't bring back) or a knotted sock. Something people have done is have 2 toys. They throw one, and when the dog runs after it, you suddenly 'discover'the other one and start making a big fuss out of it. Hopefully they come back with the ball, drop it and want the other one. Never worked with Major, but it might with your puppy.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Welll.... according to Dr S Coren,,, if you throw the object and then the dog doesnt bring it back,, perhaps crossing your arms,, and look off to the sky or anywheres but at your dog.... this method is supposed to be helpful after some practice... its like the dog wants YOU to play with him,, not him play with you... get it??

Give it a whirl..... who knows!

ahahahaha yes, ive tried that also. My dont just doesnt care that chase him for it. Ive waited almost 7 mins and he didnt bring it back. Hes a puppy so i will give him a couple more months. I was talking to a couple dog owners and one em had a lab. She said her dog started to fetch at around 6 - 7 months with no training.
    Labman

Neither if mine fetch either! Buddy just looks at you with a puzzled look on his face, and Sierra will run after it, like she's going to get it, then just runs right past it!!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome