Thread: Trimming the nails!

Trimming the nails!

My rabbit absolutely hates getting her nails trimmed. I do them myself because it is way to expensive at the vets. Right now I wrap her up in a towel and cradle her in my arms. Then I just uncover the foot I do. She jerks alot and it takes a long time. Any suggestions???
    ~*Heather*~

I trim my cats' nails when they're asleep and relaxed - and I have to move fast!! I usually only get one or two paws done before they run away. Do you have someone who could help you hold her while you do it? Talking in a soothing voice, saying the bunny's name quietly, and giving treats afterwards always helps. Good luck!

I agree with lizzie that having someone help you hold her is a good idea. My bunny only weighs 2.5 lbs and he is a handful! I've learned to make him comfortable on one of his blankies then kind of rest my wrist on him so he's laying down then do the paw on the side opposite of him, reaching over him. He seems to be really good about it when I go about it this way.
    Jessica

Thank you so much Kay for this great Sig!!

its weird i know...

i have ferrets(2) not bunnies...

but i recently learnd a trick from a friend.

"the mommy scruff"
    yes its a little odd but it works everytime!=)

1.i take my ferret by the scruff of the neck.
    2.place it in my moulth,holding wit my lips,not teeth!(durring shedding season,brush prior to trimming)
    3.lift your head up, and hold the foot/hand you want to trim.
    4.begin t cut.

it takes about half a minute to trim aLL 20 toes each.
    it doess NOT hurt them, and is safer cause they don't wriggle!

hope this helps!!!! ; )
    alex + teencie + latte

NEVER, ever hold a rabbit by the scruff of its neck...that is just asking for a broken neck or back!!!!!!!!!!!

We use the bunny taco trick, the towel has to be tight around the body and the animal held firmly....if necessary get someone to hold while you clip.
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

Thanks

Thanks so much for you replies. I have found the taco trick to work very well.
    ~*Heather*~

My dog is Just like that
    she will yelp if you even bring out the clippers
    .:|KrIsTiN|:.

yeah

Getting someone to hold her is a VERY good idea! I have 9 rabbits right now(the babies are too young to get their nails trimmed) I have 3 adults, I always get someone to hold them....holding the rabbit on it's back and rubbing it's nose is a good technique, this is called hypnotizing, the rabbit is in some sort of trance. Usually after a while the rabbit will get used to it, give her a treat after your done also! Sometimes vets don't do good jobs, I took my Spicey to the vet for a check-up and she trimmed her nails for me and showed me how(even though I already knew!) and she made her bleed, not very professional! If the rabbit bleeds just dab the nail with toilet paper, no harm done.

My best way to hold them is not by the scruff of the neck....I find that cruel!!!!(maybe not for ferrets but rabbits definitly!) I hold the rabbit in my lap sort of halfway sitting up, one hand sorta under the front legs and one under the bum, that way I can kiss my rabbits on the head to reasure them as well!
    Here is a picture of how I hold my rabbits:
    Attached Images Attached Images