Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crow Rescue! Help please!!

Crow Rescue! Help please!!

Well, this morning we found a crow in our pool. The poor thing had been out there about five minutes before my girlfriend's mom finally went out to see what the dogs were barking at. As she hates crows, she called Bridgette and I out there and we got the crow out with the pool skimmer and set it on the ground nearby. At first it was in the shade, but it was shivering uncontrollably so I picked it up with a towel and moved it to the sun for a minute or so, covering its face so it wasn't fully exposed to the heat, then we moved it back to the shade. Then we noticed all the bees on the flowers there and finally decided to move it up to the deck where we could keep an eye on it.

The entire time the bird seemed in shock. It was breathing heavily at first, though its breathing evened out after a while, and it was shivering and shuddering. It made no attempt to peck at us whenever we moved it, and still hasn't though it's been out of the water for probably two hours and seems pretty much dried off. We've not only been able to pick it up with the towel, it's even gone so far as to let us touch it and pick it up barehanded, though it tries to spread its wings when picked up. It also made some halfhearted pecks at pieces of bread we put in front of it, though it's ignored a bowl of water. We had moved it down to underneath a covered area on the ground level and it was just standing around, after having preened its feathers a bit. It didn't react much whenever anyone got close to it, except to move away after a while if anyone petted it. But my girlfriend got up at some point and all of a sudden the bird freaked out.

It jumped, spread its wings, cawed for the first time since we found it, and it's neck kind of curved under and the white membrane covered its eyes. We thought it was dying, it looked very much like it was having a seizure. My girlfriend's sister said it was dying and asked us to just take it out front so they didn't have to watch, so we did...

And now the bird's just sitting there, looking just like it did before the seizure, not seeming to mind anyone's fingers on it or any presence around it. And we're not really sure what to do. It seems fine but it won't try to fly, and we have no idea what that little freak-out was over, unless it was just some sort of panic attack or something. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a chance this is someone's pet crow? I've never imagined a wild bird doing this, all the other small birds I've ever saved or handled after they got stunned would try to peck viciously. It's rather confusing O_o.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    It's possible the crow inhaled water while trying to get out of the pool. Or it's possibly affected with West Nile Virus and chances are it may not make it. Is there a vet you could bring it to, or nearby wildlife rehabilitaters? I'd put the bird in a box or cat carrier to keep it safe from nightime preditors and bring the bird to a rehabber ASAP. Covering the crow will keep it calmer too. Keep us posted....and hope the poor bird will be OK!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

As soon as I finished posting that, I went back outside to find my girlfriend had started picking the bird up and kinda letting it go a few inches off the ground so it started fluttering and trying to fly. We both did this a few times, and it actually sat on both our arms without pecking or hurting us in any way, it was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. Crows are SUCH beautiful birds, and now I'm certain of my previous desire to have a pet crow or raven as soon as I have the means. Anyway, on one of those pick-the-crow-up-and-toss-it's, the bird took off, made it across the street and disappeared across houses along the way. The most we can figure, from some things I found on the net, is that it had received a slight head injury, which would account for the two seizures it experienced and its docility I guess. But it flew, and we can only assume it was fine, we watched it until it disappeared over a neighbor's house. We're hoping it may come back again sometime, even if we won't recognize it it'd be nice. And I'm still in awe of how gentle it was, even right before it flew away, and the fact that it didn't try to hurt us at all, and just its sheer presence. I've always thought they were the most beautiful birds...

Good job rescueing the crow! I'm glad it was ok and was able to fly away!

-Chrissy

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

GOOD JOB
    .:|KrIsTiN|:.

pet rescue

I'm one of those people who cant turn my back on any animal and a few years ago, I also rescued a crow. I thought I'd help him get back on his feet and away he'd go. Um, I'm still waiting He can't fly, but he's doing fine. He's 'paper trained' and he eats cat food. They are , after all, omnivoirs. He has toast and jam in the morning and loves to play in his bowl of water. I've taught him to blow kisses (which he does whenever he wants something) He 'sings'. I can't tell you how special he has become!His name,BTW, is Cassidy because he hops a lot...... Forget it, you had to be there.

my Jeremy

I can"t tell you how happy it makes me to hear that not all people hate crows. I have had the pleasure of knowing the most amazing friend. His name is Jeremy and he is an 11 yr old crow who I found as a fresh hatchling sitting on a curb. He had fallen from his nest high up in an oak tree. He was all legs and beak . His eyes were still closed. He could neither stand nor walk. His family members were understandably frantic at his vulnrability. I literly had crows in my hair and on my back as I gathered him up and ran back to my house looking like a scene out of hitchcocks "the birds" movie .Jeremys family members continue to scold me to this day when ever they see me. I made a bed for Jeremy inside of a large yellow dog food dish using a torn up pink flannel sheet for bedding. I put a heating pad under the dish on low. He seemed as happy as can be. I fed him stage one baby food every hour or so during the daytime for the first few weeks . I also carried Jeremy around with me everywhere that I went , wraped in a small section of pink flannel sheet ( he looked like an old ugly pesent woman). We also went out into the garden daily and "walked around". You see jeremy would pitch a fit if he didnt have contact with me at all times...he actually pitched such a fit that he fainted. So my 5' 9" frame was bent over to the ground so Jeremy could hold onto my finger while he waddled around.He also had to have a piece of that pink flannel sheet draped over his little shoulders for security too.Are you picturing this? Later when he got older he was satisfied just holding onto my shoe lace.I also set up a "bird bath" for him on warm days and he would " spaz" after the bath in the sun...I think its a way of quickly raising body tempreture or drying enough to inable flight.He scared me to death the first time that he did this. He also began to talk, saying " ouch" , "what" , "kittie kittie", "no", "Uh-Oh", "AAAAAHHHHH" and much more.He loves to be scratched and aaawwwwed over. He makes sky scraper bug lockers out of his old cat food cans by placing a bug or treasure inside an old can, placing another can ontop of that to seal it and so on, and when hes done he places a small rock inside the top can to lock it in place.He has all kinds of uses for the cans ..he also loved to walk around with an empty can on his head and listen to his voice echo inside...or he would stand with his head bent down inside the can and talk to himself.He loved cherry tomatoes,goldfish crackers and boiled eggs. he built a nest for me every spring. He amazed me every day....such a gift.....Jeremy became very ill this morning...We fear for the worst. It seems he is passing.My heart is breaking.I can't imagin not having him in my life. So please ..anyone who read this and was touched..remember his name was Jeremy...and he was loved deeply. I need to go and be with him...it only seems right that I was the first face he saw when he was born..and I should be the last he sees when he passes.....
    Last edited by jakeskat; 09-21-2004 at 04:52 PM.

I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear about Jeremy. As an avid crow lover I can only imagine what you must be going through. I think, in you I have finally found someone who understands and I am glad to be the same for you. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that you did give Jeremy a good life while he was here and keep all the memories with you until you meet again. BTW, I will never forget Jeremy's name because by coincidence that is the name of my oldest grandson too. my thoughts will stay with you and if you ever want to just talk about Jeremy (after time makes it easier) I will be eager and happy to listen. I read your post to my mother because she understands too and she was very touched too. Please celebrate all the precious memories you have.I'm sure your little buddy would want it that way.

OUR LOVE JEREMY

THANK YOU NASALE FOR YOUR NOTE. JEREMY PASSED THAT NIGHT AT 6:45 PM IN MY ARMS. HE SEEMED TO BE WAITING FOR ME TO TELL HIM IT WAS OKAY TO GO. MY HUSBAND STOOD IN THE HALL AND CRIED AS JEREMY PASSED. I WRAPED JEREMY IN AN OLD TEE SHIRT OF MINE, AND WE BARRIED HIM THAT NIGHT . MY HUSBAND JERRY, IS GOING TO FASHION A STONE ONTOP OF THE GRAVE WITH JEREMYS NAME AND A FEW LOVING WORDS.
    YESTERDAY MORNING WAS VERY HARD....JEREMY AND I HAD A LITTLE THING WE WOULD DO... UPON WAKING I WOULD STAGGER TO THE DINNING ROOM WINDOW AND RAP SOFTLY ON THE GLASS TO SIGNAL JEREMY THAT I WAS AWAKE......JEREMY WOULD QUICKLY FLY TO THE DOOR OF HIS FLIGHT CAGE WHERE HE COULD SEE ME ..HE WOULD PUFF UP AND WITH WINGS TREMBLING HE WOULD YELL "WHAT, WHAT?" OR " OUCH, OUCH". I CAUGHT MYSELF BEFORE I ACTUALLY RAPPED ON THE WINDOW.
    SOME TIME WHEN I HAVE MORE TIME AND MY SORROW IS EASED ENOUGH WHERE I CAN TALK ABOUT JEREMY WITHOUT SOBBING...I WOULD LIKE TO LET YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE KNOW JUST HOW SMART, CHARMING AND FASINATING HE WAS.I WAS TRUELY BLESSED BY KNOWING HIM.
    PLEASE FORGIVE ALL THE MISPELLINGS. I NEVER WAS A GOOD SPELLER AND WITH OUT A SPELL CHECKER I AM TRUELY LOST.
    THANKS AGAIN NASALE FOR YOUR LOVING THOUGHTS AND KIND NOTE. I HOPE TO TALK TO YOU AGAIN.

Don't worry about the spelling. Its the last thing that matters I'm thinking of you! Later, my friend.

NASALE ,I SENT YOU A YAHOO I.M REQUEST FORM TO ADD YOU TO MY BUDDY LIST........THANKS AGAIN

NASALE...TELL ME MORE ABOUT CASSIDY..PLEASE.

Hi there! Ive had Cassidy for two years now. For whatever reason, he can't walk normally nor fly at all. His one leg appears to have been broken and he hops around on the joints of his legs. He is paper trained and has his own special corner in my room. He watches TV. He changes his volcalizations every now&then. For a while, he was making the same sound. It came out like "Whaaaaaa!" It sounds like he's asking me what I want very impatiently. He only did it after I called his name so, he picked it up (probably) from me. We had a show on TV that featured some very bad singers and he was singing along with it. He sang "Ow-ow -owwwww!" And held the last note for effect. I laughed until I almost wet myself! He 'gives kisses' (in his own way) It comes out sounding like a chucking noise.Whenever I ask him to gimmmee kiss he does, and then, I do it back, and he does it again & so on. He won't quit until I do. He gets mad at the cat if he bugs him and snarls at him. The cat thinks its a game and loves to get a reaction out of Cassidy. He doesn't like strangers and is very 'rude' to them. He has to have a taste of whatever I'm eating. He really likes chicken. Well, I guess thats it for now. I hope this gives you an insight into what he's like. I will ask my son to take a digital picture of him and help me post it. BTW, You can email me at [email protected] By for now, Write whenever you feel like it! TTFN!

er,um,ah, was it something I said????

I'm sorry...I am a slow writter and to complicate things both of our daughters were here this week...with meals , laundry, personal time and running them to school and back I was swamped...will e-mail you soon/ already have it half done.

I sent it off to you...a moment ago. If you dont get it please let me know.......You can reach me at [email protected][/EMAIL]
    Last edited by jakeskat; 09-22-2004 at 02:38 PM.