Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What sort of small dog would suit this requirement?

What sort of small dog would suit this requirement?

I'm starting some research into small dog breeds for a friend. Here is what she is looking for.

Easy going personality, tends to get on with cats, dogs and other humans
    Prefer non shedding dog
    Not demanding or highly strung
    Highly trainable for obedience
    Small cute dog that fits easily into one of those dog carry bags

I'm a cat person myself, but I thought it would be fun looking into this as I loved learning about cat breeds. Also, I always thought that one day I might have a little dog myself. Hubby likes big dogs, but small dogs seem so much more transportable and seem to be easier to maintain (There is less of them). I'll start to look around the internet but any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks
    Sky... aka Yasmin

POODLE! You are describing a poodle to a "T" but of course I am somewhat biased! They come in a very small size (toy) or a little larger (miniature) or the largest size (standard). The toys are any size up to 10" at the shoulder, minis are 11"-15" at the shoulder and the standards are anything over 15". They come in many colors too, so there is a color for everyone's taste. Everything else that you describe is found in this wonderful breed. They are little smarties and they don't shed and have no 'doggy odor.' They are devoted companions and easily trained. The downside is that they do require extensive grooming and it is not optional. If they aren't kept groomed it can be disastrous. Mine get bathed every 3 weeks and they get a complete clipping/grooming every 6 weeks. I know there are several other small dogs that would be good for what you are looking for, but I just had to 'plug' my favorite.

i was thinking the same thing, but my second was cocker. although you might have some problems in the carry on bag department.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

If you dont have alotta time to excersize him , then yes a poodle is good. But if you want a really obedient, smart, very friendly dog, BUT very active dog, get a duck tolling retriever. They barely fit into the small category but there beautiful. If you dont know what it is. Have you ever seen a show called Good Dog! ? That guys orange and white dog is a duck tolling retriever. His name is Dancer
    Labman

Originally posted by Labman
    If you dont have alotta time to excersize him , then yes a poodle is good. But if you want a really obedient, smart, very friendly dog, BUT very active dog, get a duck tolling retriever. They barely fit into the small category but there beautiful. If you dont know what it is. Have you ever seen a show called Good Dog! ? That guys orange and white dog is a duck tolling retriever. His name is Dancer
    You watch Good Dog as well? Where do you live? I thought they only aired it in this area.

I was going to suggest a poodle as well. I've recently started looking into them. They're very smart dogs, I'd love to go to obedience trials with one one day.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Schnauzers are good. Your friend would prolly want a mini schnauzer.

They are great dogs that get along with dogs and cats. They are non-shedders, no doggy odor, extremely smart. I'm pretty sure they can go into a bag, but not sure about that one. They are also really friendly, and are good house watchers.

Maybe a poodle would be better if she wanted it to be in a bag, but schnauzers are great!

If your friend wants a mellow dog who gets along with everybody, then perhaps she would like to get an adult dog from a rescue. They can tell her what the dog's personality is like. It's more of an individual thing than a breed thing. There are high-strung and mellow individuals of each breed.

I've met lots of mellow shelties. I have one. He gets along with everybody and rarely barks (unlike the stereotypical Sheltie, who barks incessantly). That's what I mean about individuals of the same breed being different.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Miniature Pinschers are small and really cute. So are chilwauwus. I know thats not spelled right. Sorry!

Go hear for a cute pic of a min. pinscher puppy!
    http://www.harrminpins.com/Pup%204.jpg

Her is an adult min pin:
    http://www.dogtimes.com.br/imagens/d...rs-bruttan.jpg
    ~*Heather*~

Min pins can be quite high strung.

And both chihuahuas and min pins can shed quite a bit.

My first thought when I read the requirements was a toy poodle from a good breeder or a rescue that utilizes foster homes.
    My reasoning for this is that toy poodles are one of the most popular puppymill bred dogs IMO. So if you want a stable temperment you will have to go through a good breeder who breeds mentally sound dogs, or through a foster home that evaluates the dog's temperment.

Like others have mentioned the only downfall to poodles is their grooming requirements, but if they are kept in a shorter more practical cut they wouldn't need to visit the groomer as often.

Here is a link to the AKC poodle standard

http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/poodle.cfm

And a link to the Poodle Club of America

http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/

Good luck in your friend's search.

Oh and one side note.... although they would fit into a little carry bag, they do have legs and can walk.........

*Thanks Ashley*

Dog breed

Short-haired miniature dachshunds are great small dogs. They are super cute. They get along well with humans and other animals. They hardy shed. They are small enough to fit into one of those bags, but let them walk. They would enjoy it more. If you carry your dog all the time it could get very spoiled and chubby! They are so gentle and sweet. My grandpa owns two a black one and a brown one!

Here are some pics of min. dachshunds!
    http://www.customgems.com/dachshunds..._dachshund.jpg

http://www.leetroy.com/TL.2.JPG

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...93043470uRCezA

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...49105497cqoEha

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...48897606QJyYAO
    ~*Heather*~

I think maybe a Bichon Frise or a Maltese would be good for these requirements, even though it would be hard to find a type of dog that meets all of these and is very obedient. Most of the toys and terriers can be a little high-strung and hard-headed. Definitly get one from a really good breeder or a rescue group. It pays well to pay that extra bit of money for a good dog.
    Go to :
    www.canidae.com for the best dog and cat foods ever made!!! It did wonders on my pet.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I think the poodle seems to suit best, and grooming requirements are not a problem. I don't know much about poodles and tend to get oput off by photos of them looking rather strange after weird grooming, but photo's you provded here looked lovely. They sound like lovely dogs and very suitable. I'll show my friend these posts.

To those who made me laugh by recommending letting the dog walk, don't worry, my friend will love to walk the dog. The reason she wants one that will fit into a bag is for ease of transport, not to be carried instead of using the four legs provided with.
    I was also looking at pugs. They seem to be adorable dogs. Of course they are too big for a bag, but I never knew how adorable they were. Thanks for all your photos too - all the dogs are so gorgeous and obviosuly have wonderful loving homes. I'll also suggest giving an adult dog a home.

Thanks again!
    Sky... aka Yasmin

Originally posted by Sky
    I was also looking at pugs. They seem to be adorable dogs.
    I love pugs too! Aren't they so cute? They have silly little personalities too! If I had lots of room and was younger I would have a houseful of poodles and pugs! LOL!

I vote for Poodles too!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Originally posted by Labman

that would be none other then Dr Stanley coren. He resides in Vancouver BC Canada!!!

He is a smart man that one!!!