Thread: Rant

Rant

My mother in law just moved out here from Missouri. She has a diabetic dog and her "choices" were to either put him to sleep or have us take him. She was afraid that anyone else who took him would not give him his shots.

We're in the middle of selling her house. She knows darn well that every single time that we show out house we're having to board our dogs. (Our dogs would bark and growl the whole time otherwise.) She knows darn well that we already have plenty of pets and a baby on the way. She knows darn well that none of my dogs can be near Speedy because they'd be to rough with Speedy. She knows darn well that this house is going to be sold before we move into our new house, so we are going to have to stay with someone temporarily or rent a place.

Yet, she knows I am an animal lover and guilted me into taking him because I'd never let an animal be put to sleep just because.

It just irks the hell out of me that she is such an irresponsible woman. My husband has bailed her out of so many things. When my husband was only 18, she guilted him into giving her his savings ($3,000) so that she could move back to Missouri. And now she's guilting us again so she can come back here.

We are just as inconvenienced having Speedy here as she would be to hide him at her new place. In my opinion, it's her pet and her problem. If she wanted to move out to California, she should have been prepared to do whatever she could to keep Speedy. Even if that means sneaking him into her new place.

Ok, I feel a little better now. Thanks for listening.

Thank you Wolfie!

I wonder if she couldn't have looked a little harder for a place that would accept a dog. A lot of places will accept a small dog or cat. Thanks Tonya for trying to help him. You're right...an animal is a commitment for life. It does sound as though she took adavantage of your big heart. But I'm sure Speedy is so grateful to you for taking him in. Poor little guy Seems it's always the animals that suffer in the end.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Just wondering... are you moving because of you nutty neighbor? and if so, has she done anything to scare away potential buyers?

Sorry your MIL is being so demanding and guilt-inducing!

Originally posted by catnapper
    Just wondering... are you moving because of you nutty neighbor? and if so, has she done anything to scare away potential buyers?

Sorry your MIL is being so demanding and guilt-inducing!
    Hahaha...my nutty neighbor is definitely a motivator to move. Speaking of, a month ago, our garage got broken into. I was standing in the street talking to the police officer, and the officer said "Who is that?" I looked up, and my neighbor was in my garage looking around, even moving things to see. I filled the officer in, and the officer got pissed. She hung her head out the window and goes "Mam, is there something I can do for you?" My neighbor said "No thank you, just looking!" The officer said "Well, there is nothing in there for you, so go back in your house!" Then the officer scolded me for not being more assertive towards my neighbor. lmao.

And, so far, she hasn't scared any buyers away, but I had to scold my husband for telling her about the problems the inspectors found with our house. I know darn well that she'll tell whoever buys the house what the problems were, how we fixed them, and that they should look closer to make sure we fixed them right.

Thank you Wolfie!

Nutty Neighbors really do add difficulty in selling ones house...

I'm glad you are helping Speedy out, it is pretty rotten of your MIL to give you a choice like that! I hate guilt trips myself...

I can sympathize somewhat Tonya. My grandma sounds a bit like your Mom. She jumps into things or does things without planning or doing what needs to be done, and then expects someone (usually my Mom) to pick up the slack. My grandma is not a real dog person but years ago when I was still a kid and had no dog of my own yet, she got a little toy poodle. Of course before she got a dog my Mom researched breeds and tried to help her find one that would fit her lifestyle, but of course she didn't listen. She wanted a small cute dog and that is what she got. Well sure enough he was "too hyper and too much trouble" and after a few months she wanted to get rid of him. I wanted him so bad but for various reasons at the time including financial, Mom said we couldn't keep him. But she was guilted into taking him to find a home for him since Grandma lived out in the boondocks at the time. He was a little ball of dynamite but Mom did end up finding a home for him eventually. Of course not before we had both become somewhat attached to him and so it broke our hearts when the day came.

Anyway, it is so hard when you have to deal with something like that in the family because you often feel you have no choice but to bail them out time and time again. I hope you are able to find a loving and dedicated home for Speedy. Poor little guy. I'm so glad you saved him from being PTS.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Does your neighbor have any relatives in South Georgia? She sounds just like our neighbor.