Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White chicks...Black chicks???

White chicks...Black chicks???

The movie 'White Chicks' is out now and getting thumbs up for its comedy about two black cops portraying two rich white girls...(shades of Paris and Nicole). I plan on renting it when it comes out on DVD, I like the Wayans brothers.
    I was asked by a co worker how I thought it would go over if a movie were made about two white cops who impersonate 'Black Chicks'. I had to admit that I think it would cause a huge racial backlash. Say they were two black sorority sisters and not some stereotypical version of black girls...would it be well received?
    Maybe it wouldn't cause a stir...but I see the race card being played way too much these days and I think it would be over scrutinzed. What do you think?

Funny you should bring this up because that was my first thought when I heard about this movie. How if people were dressing up as any other race, this movie would be considered so racist!
    Comments to myself!

Maybe prejudice is a better word. And I'm not saying it bothers me. I think it's silly! But all I'm saying is if the movie had been some person dressing up and imitating another race (be it Asian, African American, Hispanic - whatever race) and been called 'Fill in the Blank' Chicks, there would have been an uproar!
    Last edited by CatMama78; 07-07-2004 at 04:56 PM.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

i think it would be ok to do a "black chicks" movie. but only IF they didn't do it in the getto and make the black people seem all poor and unemployed. plus i don't htink "white chicks" is racist because the emphasis (sp?) is more on that they're dumb blondes than actual white people. but i haven't actually seen the movie yet, i'm waiting for it to come out on DVD

I saw the movie and I thought it was HALARIOUS! People were starring at me and my friends because we were laughing so hard.

I don't think it was racist

Originally posted by Amber
    I saw the movie and I thought it was HALARIOUS! People were starring at me and my friends because we were laughing so hard.

I don't think it was racist
    I don't think anyone does think it is racist....however if it were turned around and the chicks were black rather than white, I think some would say it was.

I think alot of ignorant people would see it as racist if it were turned the other way. I'm personally sick of racial issues. We all bleed red, does it really matter our skin tone?

I can think of so many times where people have mad fun of white people, and everyone's just laughed it off.. but if it were switched around and turned into a joke against blacks, hispanics ect... everyone would blow up and make it into a racial comment... in reality it would be, but it's perfectly fine to say it against white people.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I want to see it, too. Looks so funny! I am so sick of the double standard on racial issues. If the situation had been reversed, the ACLU and no telling whom else would be involved so quickly that we wouldn't even get to see the movie before it was pulled from public viewing. And that is totally wrong.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Originally posted by Kfamr

I can think of so many times where people have mad fun of white people, and everyone's just laughed it off.. but if it were switched around and turned into a joke against blacks, hispanics ect... everyone would blow up and make it into a racial comment... in reality it would be, but it's perfectly fine to say it against white people.
    it's socially acceptable to make fun of white people, because, they have never been discriminated against, they've never been slaves, or treated like dirt because of their skin color. and so there's no history to make it racist, and people see it as, they got what they had coming. i'm not saying that makes it right...that's just how it is.

Racism is about power. Not just about race. Blacks, as a group, are not in a position of power over whites. When a black person makes fun of a white person there is no history in the background of slavery, murder, lynching or Jim Crow.

Racism is not black in white, there are many shades of grey.

10. Interesting that no one sees the issue of women in this. How many movies -- comedies -- are there about men dressing up as women? Tony Curtis and Jack Lemon (can't remember the name of it...Some Like It Hot?) Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire, just to name a few. Comedies about women dressing as men? I can think of a tragedy movie -- but no comedies.

I don't know...what do you think?

Personally, I think anyone who would think it racist is just silly. After all, as a white person I think we're just asking to be made fun of when we put people like Paris and Nicole on tv. If there's blondes out there who are offended by the "dumb blonde" image portrayed, tell them to complain to the tv execs who came up with the Simple Life and all the other shows with "dumb blonde" characters.... reality or not.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Interesting that no one sees the issue of women in this. How many movies -- comedies -- are there about men dressing up as women? Tony Curtis and Jack Lemon (can't remember the name of it...Some Like It Hot?) Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire, just to name a few. Comedies about women dressing as men? I can think of a tragedy movie -- but no comedies.

I don't know...what do you think?
    well i think it's kinda similar to the black-white racists thing, but also that because men are so macho-macho, it's funny when you see a guy in a skirt. but since women have been fighting to have the same rights as men and wear the same clothes as them and do the things they do for so long, it's not really even funny anymore. just like girls can't really dress up as boys for halloween unless they wear a tux or something, but all guys have to do is put on a little make up and a skirt.

hmmm...

I don't think the movie was meant to be racist, but I am annoyed with the double standards involved. Somehow it's okay for black people to make all kinds of fun and jokes at the expense of white people. ( Or any other race really) But when white people do the same, it's racist. The term "reverse racism" is absurd, because racism is racism regardless of which race it comes from.
    The same with women/men, gay/straight, whatever. Wherever discrimination is involved, there always seems to be this horrible double standard where the discriminated get away with all kinds of things as long as they are doing it to the percieved "discriminators". *Thinks of BET's comedy show- every joke is about how stupid white people are.*

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those...

Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by WistfulPassage
    I don't think the movie was meant to be racist, but I am annoyed with the double standards involved. Somehow it's okay for black people to make all kinds of fun and jokes at the expense of white people. ( Or any other race really) But when white people do the same, it's racist. The term "reverse racism" is absurd, because racism is racism regardless of which race it comes from.
    The same with women/men, gay/straight, whatever. Wherever discrimination is involved, there always seems to be this horrible double standard where the discriminated get away with all kinds of things as long as they are doing it to the percieved "discriminators". *Thinks of BET's comedy show- every joke is about how stupid white people are.*

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those...
    racism isn't just about one race hating another race. it's about one race having the power to hate and discriminate against another race, not only on the palyground where the white kid is making fun of the black kid, but in real life, in jobs, communities...everywhere. and white people have never had to feel that, they've always been the ones to discriminate against every other race there is in the world at some time or another in history. so they don't know what realy racism is. they just don't like being at the wrong end of a white person joke...JMO

white people have never had to feel that, they've always been the ones to discriminate against every other race there is in the world at some time or another in history. so they don't know what realy racism is.
    Actually, this isn't completely true. I just don't think we realise that we are being discrimintated against. A couple of examples: In this country, you have a better chance of getting into college and getting a scholarship if you are a minority... NOT if you're white. There are more funds out there for minorities, than there are for us. Mind you, I couldn't care less, but it is a fact.

Also, we may not feel the discrimination here, but I can tell you just about anyone who goes overseas will feel it at one time or another. Even in Hawaii. Because Hawaii's history with the white man is still fairly recent, there is still a LOT of resentment towards us. "Haoles" will get charged more for certain things than "kama'aina" (locals). White folks will get jumped just because they're white, and they're in the wrong part of town.

Overseas, because we have a habit of sticking our noses in where it doesn't belong there is a lot of dislike for the white person in general. Having lived overseas most of my life, I've experienced it. In Thailand, if you speak no Thai, you will be treated like crap and generally ripped off. However, if you take the time to learn the language and speak it PROPERLY you will be treated with more respect. If you are white, and walking by yourself the chances of you getting jumped are high in many parts of the world.

So really, the only white people who have never felt discrimination are the ones who have never left the US. I do agree with the idea that we have a very poor sense of humour. Unless it's OUR joke.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant