Thread: Mosquito Repellent...

Mosquito Repellent...

Is human mosquito repellent safe for dogs?

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

If you use something like Avon's Skin so Soft, citrenella or another one of the natural repellants it is. I've used Skin So Soft on my dogs. Ones that contain DEET--like OFF or Muskol--aren't safe for animals. They can ingest the chemicals.

I use a horse repellant on my dogs. I have a spray one and one that looks like a roll-on deodorant. I just put it on their noses and faces. Be careful to avoid their eyes no matter what you use.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Thank you. I am off to do the tedious task of convincing my mom that OFF is not safe...

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Originally posted by MariaM
    Thank you. I am off to do the tedious task of convincing my mom that OFF is not safe...
    I'm sure your mom can remember when DEET was sprayed to control mosquitos. It wiped out thousands of birds--made the shells of their eggs too soft for the chicks to survive. It did major environmental damage to all sorts of plants and animals. It has been linked to cancer in humans. Maybe remind her of that--surely she won't want Major licking something that could be dangerous.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

No, she wouldn't. But do you know of any websites that say "Human Mosquito Repellent, not safe for dogs" or something to that effect, because my mom has a hard time listening to me...as with the rest of my family...

Any links would be appreciated.Thanks

Here you go:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP..._WestNile.html

Type Deet + Dogs into Goggle and you'll find lots of info
    --John Irving

The APCC does not recommend the use of mosquito control products that contain DEET. Dogs and cats are extremely sensitive to DEET and may develop neurological problems if a product formulated with DEET is applied to them.
    http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...Prevention.php
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Thank you!!