Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for Ya'll from the South

for Ya'll from the South

"Southernness"

Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissy fit and a conniption fit, and that you don’t “HAVE” them, you “PITCH” them.

Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess."

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of “yonder.”

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long “directly” is -- as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who’s got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor’s trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin!

Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between “right near” and “a right fer piece.” They also know that “just down the road” can be 1 mile or 20.

Only a Southerner, both knows and understands, the difference between a redneck, a good ol’ boy, and po’ white trash.

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

A Southerner knows that “fixin” can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines. We don't do “queues,” we do “lines”; and when we're “in line,” we talk to everybody!

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they’re related, even if only by marriage.

Southerners never refer to one person as “ya’ll.”

Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

Southerners know that Coke refers to all carbonated beverages.

Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.

When you hear someone say, “Well, I caught myself lookin’,” you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner!

Only true Southerners say “sweet tea” and “sweet milk.” Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. “Sweet milk” means you don't want buttermilk.

And a true Southerner knows you don’t scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say, “Bless her heart” and go your own way.

The true Southerner also knows how to hunker down. Also how to tote someone to the store and when ya'all get there grab a buggy for the fixins.

To those of you who’re still a little embarrassed by your Southerness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart!

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!

And for those that are not from the South but have lived here for a long time, ya'll need a sign to hang on ya’lls front porch that reads “I aint from the South but I got here as fast as I could.”

Bless your hearts, ya'll have a blessed day

Im from Nevada, but I exhibit signs of "Southerness". I think us long term Nevadans experence a similar thing.

I was saying Y'all long before I spent any time in the south lol.

And YES I do know the difference between a Hissy fit and a conniption fit *thank you mom...*

I'm fixing to become a true Southerner, but I've only been down south for 15 years!

Mary

Re: for Ya'll from the South

Originally posted by sirrahbed
    "Southernness"

A Southerner knows that “fixin” can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

a few other southern phrases for You.

Becha..I will bet you

Aintcha..Aren't you going to

I speck I reckon......I guess

We'll See...........Go ask your mom and stop bugging me

I done et'.........I have already eaten Thank You

Set a Spell........Please have a seat and sit for a while

down the road a piece.......a long ways away

plumb tuckered out...I am very tired

Ah-hankerin...Wanting something real bad
    Last edited by sirrahned; 07-01-2004 at 03:26 PM.
    Dennis...Grandpa to Misha,Tyler & Annika

Heh.. I kind of have some of that in me.. eventhough I'm a Northern! But hey.. after listening to a lot of country music.. and I think I'd fit down in the South pretty easily.. when I move down to TN after college.. hehe..
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

This reminds me of something:

Courtesy of Jeff Foxworthy:

"Wigadiga"

You didn't bring a hankie, witcha diga ? (with you, did you?)

Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

I say "reckon" alot, too. When I first visited my brother in Maryland, I was truly shocked and disappointed to learn they didn't have sweet tea. They also put gravy on french fries. Gross! I related to a lot in that. And, I had potato salad for dinner(supper)

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Originally posted by CatMama78
    This reminds me of something:

Courtesy of Jeff Foxworthy:

"Wigadiga"

You didn't bring a hankie, witcha diga ? (with you, did you?)

LOL

Or..

With Ya Did Ya?

Did you bring your truck with you did you?

Haha..

From the Blue Collar Comedy Tour DVD! Man I LOVE that DVD. It is hilarious..
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

*shudder* it's all so quaint and..... indicitive of the south. .. I think I need to run to Starbucks

(though it won't be long before Starbucks conquers the entire world... even the little hick towns in the south!!)
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they’re related, even if only by marriage.

hehe Soo true, I can be anywhere and find someone I'm related to, not in the bad sense but just by marriage or long down the line. lol

I say yonder, ya'll, and reckon alot! lol

Ah-hankerin...Wanting something real bad
    also something I say alot. lol

buuuttttt....

And a true Southerner knows you don’t scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say, “Bless her heart” and go your own way.

Definatley not something I do, I can't help but at least fuss alittle.... lol
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

Originally posted by CountryWolf07
    LOL

Or..

With Ya Did Ya?

Did you bring your truck with you did you?

Haha..

From the Blue Collar Comedy Tour DVD! Man I LOVE that DVD. It is hilarious..
    YES!!! It was on Comedy Central this past weekend!! Those guys are great!! My favorite though was "Sopisticated people have retirement plans, Rednecks Play the Lottery"!!! Lol, That's me
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

ROFLMAO, I know all these!! I love red eye gravy, fact is I can make some real good red eye gravy, and it is just yummy on good ole country Ham!!

I like fried taters and gravy too! I was raised up on frieds taters and gravy!! Yummy!

I love these Debbie, they are all so funny! I am pure southern, I passed the test!!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Forgot to mention the red eye gravy! I know all about that, too. I just don't care for it or country ham. Too salty. Guess that's why I didn't mention them. I grew up knowing all about that stuff. We also have some gravy that's my favorite. It's called Indian gravy. Don't ask me how it got it's name. But you fry sausage and make gravy like always except you use meal instead of flour. Now I'm wanting some! Haven't had it in years. And, my favorite thing to put over it is chilli sauce. Anyone heard of that?

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

Originally posted by Sirrahsim
    *shudder* it's all so quaint and..... indicitive of the south. .. I think I need to run to Starbucks

Well Missy, I'd sure like to see you turn your nose up at some sweet tea and fried okra!!! You have LOTS of southern in you. like it or not

This is too funny! Along with my potato salad, I had fried okra! No lie. We went to the farmer's market today and got a bunch of stuff.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06