Thread: Bath Time!!!

Bath Time!!!

My cat used to have ringworm when I first brought her home. I bath her constantly like every 2 or 3 days and put Lamisil oitment. Kitana is okay with taking bath constantly because she really likes water.

Now, she's all clean and healthy so I bath her every 7 days. However, I do not know if it is healthy to give cat shower every week.

What do you recomended?

I would almost think that once a week would be a bit much, but if Kitana has no problem with it, and her skin isn't getting all dried out - why not? The dry skin would be my only concern.

Glad she got rid of the ringworm.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Once a week is too much because it dries out their skin. My groomer told me that a cat should only have a bath when necessary, perhaps twice a year. Cats do an amazing job of keeping themselves clean so giving them a bath is not needed. Some older kitties need help keeping their back-ends clean but younger, healthy kitties should be able to do the job themselves.

Where's Jen? She's a groomer and give some great advice.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Originally posted by slick
    ..... perhaps twice a year. Cats do an amazing job of keeping themselves clean so giving them a bath is not needed. Some older kitties need help keeping their back-ends clean but younger, healthy kitties should be able to do the job themselves.
    I tend to agree with Slick here!

The only "wash" Fister gets is when he's deposited in the box, then sometimes I take a wet cotton make-up pad and wipe his behind.
    Last edited by Randi; 07-01-2004 at 01:41 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I second that. A healthy cat doesn't need a bath. You may have noticed how nice they smell, even when not bathed

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Originally posted by Barbara
    I second that. A healthy cat doesn't need a bath. You may have noticed how nice they smell, even when not bathed
    .... and that's why we have cat huffing!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Originally posted by RedHedd
    .... and that's why we have cat huffing!
    HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Where is rpcathouse? I know show cats get bathed more frequently. They probably have super mild shampoo which won't dry out their skin.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Finally I decided to give Kitana a bath once a month but how can you tell if your cat skin/fur is dried so you can lessen the frequent bath?

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    If the kitty's fur/skin is dry you might notice kitty "dandruff" or the fur will feel coarse to the touch. Adding flax oil or other omega oils to the food (or look for a food that has flax or omega oils already in it) will improve your kitty's coat. Also frequent grooming - brushing and that wonderful tool that PT meowmies rave about, the shedding blade, will help remove dead hair so you shouldn't have to bathe your cat too frequently. HTH

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Hello Everyone,
    Sorry I have been away so long!! Computer problems, work and kittens. It has been crazy around here. Work and kittens I can deal with but a gumped up computer is really bad.
    Ok on bathing kitties. One thing I can recommend is a very good quility shampoo such as Oatmeal base Cat shampoo. It is very gentle to skin and fur. But the main thing is to rinse, rinse, and rinse again and when you think you are done is rinse some more. For a very dirty greasy cat I would recommend Filthy Animal Shampoo by Kelco. After shampooing and all the rinses I delute white vinegar and use that as a final rinse and then rinse again till the smell is gone. Oh! I have used baby shampoo on very young kittens because it is very gentle also.
    Unless you are showing I would not bath a cat more than 2 - 3 times a year unless it is a very nasty greasy coat. The moisture and oils are needed for a healthy coat. You don't want to strip the coat and damage the fur.
    We won't even go into a show bath everyone would think I am crazy! I guess I am. It is nice to be back and see someone ask about me.
    Well, I am going to go and read more and catch up on what I have been missing and do a little posting of my own.

P.S. I don't know if I posted it or not but Chino had a cancerous tumor on his skull that had to be removed and it was and he is doing fine. I keep praying that it will not return.

See Ya,
    Stella
    Tiny Paws (!?!) ready to walk in and on your heart. They will dig a hole and plant themselves there and grow like weeds wrapping themselves around your heart and soul.