Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate dogs!!! [long]

Originally posted by stacwase
    I don't really mind cleaning it up, but wouldn't that make them harder to housebreak? Wouldn't that be telling them it's OK to o in the house?
    Yeah, I was suggesting the gate or pen to go along with the paper training though. Otherwise it won't help them much.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I don't really mind cleaning it up, but wouldn't that make them harder to housebreak? Wouldn't that be telling them it's OK to o in the house?
    i don't know. maybe try to put those pee pads on half of it and leave the other half for toys.that'll atlease get them used to going in a certain spot.then work on putting the pee pads outside when you take them out to "go potty" that will get them used to going outside.

hope that helps.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

You all are the greatest. Thanks so much just for talking to me! I'm starting to calm down now - not so close to tears.

KBlaix - it's encouraging that you trained your 6-year-old chihuahua so easily.

I think the playpen with pee pads on one end idea might work. I think we'll try that. Not for all the time - just for when I can't watch them closely and I don't want to keep them in their crate.

Today I've got their leashes fastened to my belt loops. I'm bringing them everywhere with me, and they're not at all happy about that. In fact I think they might be very mad at me! It's the only way I can keep a close enough eye on them right now, without confining them to their crate.

They've "helped" me clean the carpet on the stairs, and spray rug freshener on it. Then they "helped" me vacuum the hallway. They're really scared of the vacuum cleaner. Now they're sleeping on the bed (where I'm typing).

In a while they're going to help me clean the basement floor and take out the garbage and vacuum the living room and dust.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

OK. I don't hate dogs anymore. hehe

We all made it through the day, and I got some cleaning done. I'm going to feed them and snuggle them now.

Originally posted by stacwase
    They're truly the sweetest little things, but she never housetrained them!!
    I can't even imagine having a dog and not housetraining it! Wow! I'm sorry that you have to be the one to housetrain them. (They're so cute though! ^_^) What Aly said is all very helpful - I hope everything works out!

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

I am sorry to hear about your mother.
    Tony and Chloe are adorable.
    Hopefully you will have them house-trained soon.

----<---<--<{(@

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I have a rescued chihuahua Peanut who came from a deplorable situation. She was living with an alcoholic man in a rooming house where dogs weren't allowed, and he kept her crated while he (wonder of wonders) went to work. He'd walk her in the A.M, crate her, come home from work, take her out again, and then procede to get blotto! When I took her in she was an older girl, unspayed and all the fur was missing from her head, and lower body....and she REEKED of human urine. Poor little thing was very underweight, but has so much love to give despite all the crap she's gone through. It took multiple baths to rid her of the stench, and months before her long hair grew back. I think she's a cross of chi/yorkie but the guy insisted she was pure longhaired chihuahua. She was roughly 6-8 years old when I took her in and totally not housebroken. Bless her little heart she tries, but has the tendency to pee on the carpet, yet poop on the tiles. I wish it were the other way around. I've had her for four years now, and she's still very stubborn about going out when it's cold or rainy. I can leave her in the yard for an hour, and she'll come in and piddle on the rug a few minutes later. I invested in a carpet cleaner, and it stays plugged in all the time lately! Big mistake buying a new living room carpet that is green! I know dogs are mostly color blind, but it's getting ridiculous. It's not easy trying to housebreak dogs who are set in their ways. Good luck...and if you come across the magic secret...please share!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

I'm sorry you are going through a bad time. I feel your pian, with 7 dogs 13 cats etc etc etc, I too sometime say I hate pets, even thought it is 100% false. I love all my babies. But do you know how long it's been sense I had a vaction with my husband. We have to travel seperate as one need to stay home and feed and care for pets. And now with a dog with cancer, one that has gone blind and another with a heart problem, I'm lucky I get a day away.

Anyway back to the subject at hand.

I had a few hard house breakers over the years and when all else didn't work I went to the paper training. In the back laundry room I put up a child gate, covered the floor with paper and went to bed. After time went by I slowly removed some of the paper till only right at the back door had paper. Yes they thought the back door was the bathroom and if I didn't catch them going back there fast enough they would go right there, but it was still better then the whole house being a batheroom.

Sorry I can't be of much more help to you, but to say paper is easier to clean then rugs, if nothing else works. And you need a good night sleep, so don't feel bad gating them off somewhere with paper and go to sleep. The morning clean up might not be fun, but at least you'll be rested to deal with it.

Do they still sell that pee training drops? Thats what I use to put on the paper, but it's been so long now that I don't know if they still sell it? Oh well just wondering .

Good luck to you.

Wow, Queen Scoopalot and Foxgal!! You made me feel much better. When I compare my situation to yours, I feel guilty for even complaining!

My heart just breaks for poor Peanut, locked in her crate constantly like that. It's no wonder she has problems!

Last night was DH's night to take the dogs out, and my night to sleep. When they started whining to be let out, he didn't take them. He says they have to learn to hold it through the night. When he got up at about 7:00 am he brought the whole crate out with him and opened the door! He was afraid if he took them out before they were outside, they'd "leak". They made it without an accidenet.

I think he's right. I'll do it that way, too, from now on.

I was going to suggest exactly what your husband ended up doing. I think it is easier for everyone, even if they do soil the crate.

Good luck!! And I hope your mom will be better soon. I guess in those roughest moments, you just have to remind yourself how much you are helping her.

Logan

PROGRESS! that word sounds good to you right now i bet.lol

glad to hear things are better.next you won't want to give them back.hehe
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I have 3 chihuahuas and I keep them in a small area next to the kitchen when we don't have the time to be with them. I use a baby gate so that they can see me when I am in the kitchen so they don't feel alone.
    I find that chi's, especially until they are very well trained do not do well when they have the run of the house. It gives them too many options to go potty and they really don't see the difference from grass and carpet.
    The chihuahuas may also miss your mother. Chi's get very attached to one family member as it is and these have been uprooted and have no idea what is going on. Be patient and CONSISTANT.
    Remember to only feed them at certain times of the day and then put the food up. It is hard to potty train them when they have to go almost every time they eat and the food is left out. Put their water dish up after 8 or 9 at night.
    they are creature of habit so just keep it consistant and they will catch on.
    God bless them, they are adorable.
    My three

MHMama - It sure doesn't seem like there are many chihuahua owners on here, does it?

I've noticed how strongly they bond to one person. By the time I was able to pick them up, they had been away from my mom for a couple of weeks. They were at my sisters's but they didn't have a lot of contact with her because she was at the hospital with Mom all the time.

The bonded with me almost immediately - whining whenever I'd leave their sight and wanting to be with me constantly.

Tony was just skin and bones - and he was so unbelievably nervous all the time. He's gained so much weight now, and he's no longer a scaredy-cat. He's a little terrorist, actually. If he was a big dog, he'd be dangerous!

They're jealous too. They try to attack Max when he comes near me.

I'll get on more of a routine with feeding, like you suggested. Maybe that will help.

Good news, though!!!! We've gone almost 2 days without an accident!!

Where doggies "Go"

Dogs will NOT go to the bathroom where they lie. That means after they learn they will be in their crate or a certain area they should stop relieving themselves there.
    I have 4 dogs now myself and a cat. The newest adoptie isn't very well trained yet. I work during the day but allow the dogs to go in and out of the house as they please. I have a fenced yard. When I get home I give them a quick welcome and then go about my business. If I kept loving on them I would NEVER get anything done!!!
    If I pass them in the hallway I will give them a good petting. I compensate where I need to. If I am working in the fenced area outside I include them. I try to coordinate my chores so I can spend the most time with them in that area. They respect that I can't pet them all the time. When I am ready to love or play with them they know it. Otherwise they can play with eachother.
    Remember dogs don't know what time is. So just giving them 2 minutes of love will seem like forever to them!
    You need to continue to do what you do and the dogs can take care of themselves. Ya need to co-exist together to get things to work out.
    Ps. My dogs eat my cat's poop! The benefit is I don't have to clean the litter box as much!!!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

stacwase
    You will do fine. Chihuahuas give so much love and devotion when given the chance. I hope they do well with your sister but please tell her to give them a chance. They are probably so frightened right now.
    If you need any help, let me know. I can't do much but I am here.