Thread: Betty's Eye

Betty's Eye

I really don't know what's wrong with it, but I guess she's probably blind in her eye. Yeah, yeah... "it's just a fish" But I was rather depressed when seeing it. I'll attach a picture.

There's probably nothing I can do for her. Poor fishy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Awww, poor little Betty. Do you think that she is completely blind or partly?

You may want to keep the room well-lit, she may be able to see better. Otis is partly-blind, and it is much harder for him to see when it is dark.

Awww! poor thing.

Did it just all of a sudden happen? The only reason I ask is in the picture it's hard to tell, but there is something called bug eye or pop eye and in that case he needs med's in his water. You might want to give it a try, just to be on the safe side. If you do, don't forget to take your filter out or the med's are usless.

My dad said he noticed it getting white yesterday....
    My parents may be leaving to Michigan tomorrow, so i'm not sure about getting meds.. plus with these guys with the filter off they wouldn't be able to see AT ALL.

It looks like the eye is completely missing. Would it grow back?

I have a feeling my Pleco did it. He's so mean to those two and I have no idea what to do about it. He's always nudging them.

My other oscar is changing colors. She was completely green, but now she's turning almost a dark green/black like the other. Is this normal?

-rx bandits

I would get Betty into a hospital tank alone. That way if it is an illness she won't spread it. Then treat her with medication from the pet store or pet supply store. Someone there should be able to help you figure out which type of medication. A hospital tank is also a good idea because it will most likely be smaller than the regular tank and you will need less medication to treat Betty. Another plus is that you can keep the filter on in the regular tank.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Poor Baby

Poor Betty! Diego Joe feels her pain. Diego Joe himself is blind in one eye. The vet said there is nothign we can do about Diego's eye. I hope they can fix Betty's! I give Betty my fishy love -hugz- Autumn & Diego Joe

Rainbow Bridge Baby>>

Originally posted by Kfamr
    My dad said he noticed it getting white yesterday....
    My parents may be leaving to Michigan tomorrow, so i'm not sure about getting meds.. plus with these guys with the filter off they wouldn't be able to see AT ALL.

It looks like the eye is completely missing. Would it grow back?

I have a feeling my Pleco did it. He's so mean to those two and I have no idea what to do about it. He's always nudging them.

My other oscar is changing colors. She was completely green, but now she's turning almost a dark green/black like the other. Is this normal?
    I didn't mean turn the filter off, just take the filter out, the charcol, effects the med's the filter can still run. You can never have a filter in your pump and the med's work to there full, if there is any charcoal in it.

If it happend that fast, Yeah I'd say he needs med's. It could be that your Pleco did it or that he's sick, what ever way he will need the med's to heal. I've lost a fish to this before, because I waited to long to get the med's in the tank. If you do get them, just look on the back of the package and most will show you a picture of what it treats. You'll see a picture of the poped eye and thats the one you need. I don't trust some of the guys at pet smart etc., to give you good info. There's been cases, I've been in the chain pet stores and they ask me for advice on how to care for some fish.

As a Oscar gets older he's color will change some. The fins will get darker around the edge, their color will darken up some. A really big change, fast is not normal and could be a sign of a problem.

It might be hard to see in this picture but if you can, you can see the tip of his fins have darken and around his head has darken some. He use to be really white there. Thats noraml changes for him in his old age. Now his starting to darken up a little on his body too. Just to give you an idea on what's a normal change is like.

If the eye is gone, Don't count on it growing back, sorry.

Did I happen to tell you I have a thing for Fish. LOL So I might just be a worry wart, when it comes to all this.

We went to pet supermarket today. We were very hesitant about going there, because generally when we do we get complete crap service or some ditsy person who knows absolutely NOTHING. We were lucky this time, and got a guy who knew pretty much alot. He helped us. The first bottle I picked up and looked at was what we needed. We got it and we're treating the whole take as it looks like whatever Betty has, Loucille the other Oscar is getting it as well. He also tested our water, which after the med are through, we're going to go back and have it tested again. He said the water was almost like keeping 5 gold fish in there, which is really bad for 2 oscars and a pleco.

We thanked him for everything, and we said that we hoped next time we come in that he's in there. He said if not, to ask for these 2 other people, as they'd probably be as good as him if not, better. He pretty much agreed with what we had thought of service in there before.

Anyways, I have to treat the tank for 7 days, which is how long my parents will be gone.

Keep my little fishies in your thoughts.

-rx bandits

aww poor fishy...IŽll keep Betty in my thoughts Hope it will be OK

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Oh good, I'm gald you found someone good. Thats my biggest problem with chain pet stores, there hire idiots. I hate it every time I go in ours and hear them telling someone, something total wrong, just to make a sale.

A tank with water like having 5 goldfish in it, not good, no wonder they got sick. Your ammonia levels was to high. Please tell me he told you to do a small water change to get it down some. Also I don't know if pet supermarket sells it but there these rocks called amio-rocks, they sell them for gold fish tanks. Get a bag and put a few in your tank, wash them first of course. They really do help keep the levels down. Most pet stores wont tell you about them, sense they are for goldfish, but we been using them for years in our tanks. It works great. The old man who breeds fish for pet stores told us about using them. Every one of our tanks has about 5 or 6 in it and we never had a problem with ammonia.

I have my fingers crossed that your fishys make a full recovery.

Sorry to hear about your Betty, Kay. I will keep her in my thoughts.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Prayers coming out to Betty! I sure hope the treatment works.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.