Thread: My Yorkie ate a chicken bone.

My Yorkie ate a chicken bone.

I'm very worried. My (big boy) 11 pound yorkie got in to the garbage and ate the bone from the chicken breast. He seems to be ok but I'm keeping an eye on him. Should he be taken to the vet? How long do I have to wait before I know for sure he's ok? Any help or info is appreciated. Thanks, Lori

How big of a bone do you think he swallowed?

Is he acting normal? Drinking and eating normal? If he's acting normal, I'd just keep an eye on him. If he becomes lethargic, doesn't drink or eat properly or doesn't seem to be passing stools like usual, I'd take him to the vet.

Of course, you can't be too safe so a vet check may be in order if you'd prefer.

When Kai ate a bone, I took him to the vet. Just told me to keep an eye on him.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

It was the bone that's left from the breast portion of the chicken. This happened about 8 hours ago and so far he seems fine. It's 3:15 am here and I'm afraid to go to bed in case something happens. I'll call the vet later when the office is open. Thanks for the info. Lori
    Last edited by nemosmom; 06-29-2004 at 05:58 AM.

We just had a lengthy thread about this the other day. My Lab Star (60 lbs) ate an entire chicken carcass...the WHOLE thing a week or two ago! I called the vet and he said that in most cases, the dog will do a good job grinding up the bones, so puncturing the GI tract is less of a worry than blockage. Watch for vomiting or constipation. In that case, do call the vet asap. And for a few days, a bland diet of chicken or boiled, ground beef and rice will help settle her stomach. It's been a while now, so hopefully, all will be well!!! Check back with us! Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

So far so good. He seems to be fine. He is eating, drinking, playing and taking care of other business just fine. Chewing up the bones was one of the things I was worried about the most because he just gobbles things up so fast. Litter mentality, I guess. Thanks so much for replying. It is a comfort to know that other people have gone through this and that their pets are ok. If anything comes up we will see the vet and I'll be back here, more for comfort and reassurance than anything. I'm glad I found this site. It's great.

Cheers,
    Lori

Great to hear back from you Lori! I'm so happy to hear that your sweetie Big Boy is doing well. I know so well, the anguish and fear you were feeling! But it's been over 8 hrs. now, so paws crossed, he'll be just fine Do let us know how things are going tomorrow. Hopefully you'll both get a good night's sleep {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

My lab constantly breaks into my garbage, in fact, my kitchen cupboards presently have a bungy cord strung across them (rather tightly, I might add) but still when I came home from work, the garbage was everywhere. He too once ate a complete chicken carcass and was no worse for wear. I am sure (and I hope) that your pup is just fine.
    Not to make a joke of this by any means, but as I look back on my two dogs lives (they are both nine), they have eaten (and drank!) some very funny and nerve-wracking things! This could be a great new thread!

Steve

Hey Steve,

Just want to let everyone know that Nemo is fine. I was worried because he's so small. If it had been one of my big dogs I wouldn't have worried about it to much. Keda, my Queensland Shepard mix, ate the sponge off the kitchen sink once. Now, I knew that was not good. I called the vet and he said to make her drink hydrogen peroxide which he said would make her throw-up. Well, it worked and she is fine. She is one of those dogs that just gobbles things up without even thinking about it, just like the little one. They just can't get that food fast enough!! My other girl Tally, a Chow mix, takes forever to eat anything. It's like she's waiting for permission or something. So, so different from the others. And I love them, I love them all!!!!!
    Thanks to everyone who responded and for all the moral support and information. Cheers to all,

Lori, Keda, Tally and Nemo

Thanks so much for the update I'm so happy that the little Nemo is a-ok! Like some of the others, being a Lab mom keeps me on my toes when it comes to keepingthe trash and other goodies under lock and out of sight. My Star can hear the trash compactor being opened quietly from upstairs, sound asleep! My friend's Lab once at 2-3 corn cobs out of the trash while she was at work! Total blockage and surgery...but thankfully he pulled through! It's tough work being a mom Hugs to Nemo!

Yes Labs can be something! My female shephard cross has never eaten anything "bad" but my lab has had some good ones: He once ate a whole, solid easter bunny (vet trip!), the previously mentioned chicken carcass, a stick - unintentionally rammed it down his throat while running (big, bad vet trip including after-hours emergency surgury), and one time while I was having a party a girl did not pay enough attention and he drank a whole BIG glass of straight Baja Rosa, 'nother after hours vet trip in a cab no less as no one at the party was in any shape to drive. There are others but those are the "highlights". It's a darn good thing he's so cute! I always threaten to make him get a job to help pay for his vet bills!

Steve

Oh Steve, I know I shouldn't laugh, but the image of cab full of tipsy partyers, including a Lab, pulling up at the vet's is too much And the cab driver's reaction! Labs do not like to be ignored My RB Lab Jingles had a 2 day bout of non stop diapoopies and upchucking. The vet took an abdominal xray...results: "mulitple foreign objects," including sand, pebbles, sticks, shells and a small bird skull! Thankfully everything passed and no surgery was required!

Yes, it was not so funny at the time, but looking back it is absolutely hilarious. A few friends came with me. The vet had a good laugh at us and at the situation. The cab driver on the way home from the vet was fantastic, the cab driver on the way to the vet's however was none too impressed! I (in my stupour) told him that he was my seeing eye dog and since I was drunk, I had to get him drunk too as it was no good to me to be weaving while the dog was walking straight!

Steve

This is too much. I have tears streaming down my face. Steve, that story is so funny. Maybe Keda's other half is Lab. She does have that face. Oh boy, thanks for the great laugh.

Lori