Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tigs at the night time emergency vets

Poor Tigs

Our vet has kept Tigs in as expected. He said the emergency vet rang him very concerned that he couldn't shift the blockage.

So our vet will have another go and if that fails he will operate and try and clear the blockage from the inside.

I'm to ring them at 2pm for the results.

Please think about Tigs

Keeping everything crossed for Tigs!! Poor baby. That came out of the blue did it not? Good thing you got him to the vet quickly.

I keep all the fingers and paws crossed for cutie Tigs. I would be VERY worried but on the basis of some years Pet Talk I ahve the impression there can something be done about it (Fister's plumbing surgery was one of the first major problems I came into in detail- and how find is he now since then).

All the best for Tigs and you

They managed to force the blockage back into his bladder by cathered him. Tigs is also on antibiotic and a special diet.

Hopefully the stone will now disolve but if it doesn't he might get blocked up again in the next few days, so we'll keep a careful eye on him.

Tigs will be coming home tomorrow, if everything is going well

-----------------------------------
    I'm a bit confused about WHY Tigs got sick.

The Nice Man Vet said :-

:We were lucky to spot his problem so early most owners miss it until things get serious

:He asked about water & food. He said water fountains were great way of encouraging a cat to drink and we had the cats on a low mineral bland ID diet. He was very happy about our cats diet.

:He said that we were unlucky to have two cats prone to building up crystals and that in cases like ours where the cats have an excellent home life, it is unclear why such a young cat would get this. (George had a mild attack 2 years ago)

The Nasty Lady Vet said :-
    (who said why bother treating Bramble for her poo problems as it would be cheaper to get another kitten !!!!)

: She supposed we didn't leave it too late as the blood tests were clear (No, Your vet partner said we were good to spot it so early)

:Tigs is fat (No, well within his range according to vet partner)

:Tigs is inactive (Wow that lady is wrong, as Tigs flys around the living room using walls and the cat tree as his own personal death wheel track EVERYDAY.)

:Tigs is highly stressed and upset (Doh, He is at the vets where people have been poking him with needle, I would be stressed too. But at home he is laid back and friends with all the other cats.)

:Tigs is not allowed access to enough water (two water fountains and a massive water bowl in the kitchen more than enough to drink)

:Tigs is being fed a poor diet (No Tigs is fed the highest quality diet which your vet partner, Nice Vet Man recommend)

In conclusion she wants to make sure he is actually watchd carefully so they are keeping him in....WTF. We are so good at knowing our cats, that we got Tigs to the emergency room before his physical signs even looked worrying. The emergency vet kept him in based on my gut feeling and description of squating NOT because of physical symptoms. Tigs only showed signs of illness over night as he became iller. I would say we keep pretty close eye on our cat !!!!

I really dislike this lady. She makes sneer comments about the number of cats we have and that we waste money on strays.

Well, it is our money to waste dear.

If it wasn't for the three nice men vets, we would never go there again.

So we are either really good owners acording to the three men vets or rubbish according to the nasty lady vets
    Last edited by PayItForward; 06-25-2004 at 06:37 AM.

Oh Poor Tigs! At least you got him in in time.

Yes, Fister has been through it too - and Boots. I would have suggested a catheter to start with and the diet which dissolve the crystals, but your vet (or some of them!) know this of course. I'm sure you know that he's not allowed to eat even a tiny bit of other food.

Will he get antibiotics also?

Fister was flushed through 3 or 4 times with intervals of 3-6 months, but he kept blocking up, and in the end we decided on the operation. He's been fine since. I'm so glad that he can now have treats!

We'll keep our paws and fingers crossed that all goes well!

If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to PM me.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Poor Tigs. I sure hope the blockage dissolves on its own and he doesn't end up needing sir jury.

I can't believe 3 nice vets put up with the nasty vet. Why would they do that to their practice? Anyway you can request that she NOT see any of your kitties? Just say something like it's a personality conflict or something. She doesn't sound like she should be in the business anyway. What vet would recommend that it would be cheaper to get a new kitten rather than treat the one you have? Sheesh.

Positive thoughts and prayers going out for Tigs.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Thanks Randi,

The vet said we can feed all our cats the same food, though Tigs will have to miss his treat of wet meat. I hope he doesn't need an operation but if he does/he does.

Thanks Debbie,

I know she is a heartless woman I usually ask for one of the other vets but as today was an emergency we had to take who was there.

I happened to see nice man when I took Tigs down and they gave him to the mean lady for treatment.

First: SO Glad Tigs is out of danger and getting treatment!

Boots went through THREE plug-ups before we
    elected the Sir Jury - so I got pretty "good" at
    *spotting* the early signs of a blockage.
    You'll neet to keep a sharp eye on him!

As for this >>>

Originally posted by PayItForward

... I know she is a heartless woman
    I usually ask for one of the other vets but
    as today was an emergency we had to take who was there.

I happened to see nice man when I took Tigs down and
    they gave him to the mean lady for treatment.
    I would strongly suggest that you arrange a conference with
    Nice Man Vet to discuss this ugly situation!

The Three NICE Guys might not know just how BADLY Nasty Gurl Vet
    treats their *Customers* AND the Customers' FurKids!

And you - as a PAYING *Customer* - certainly have the right to
    request - no, Demand - that YOUR FurKids be treated by a
    Caring and Professional Vet.

BEST WISHES & Prayers for Tigs' Speedy Recovery!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Prayers continuing for for Tigs and my 4 cats have all their paws crossed too. Luke had troble with UTI when he was younger. My vet said for some reason neutered males are prone to getting it. He's 11 now and not had a problem in years. We are hoping Tigs has good luck too!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prayers for little Tigs, and fingers and paws crossed, too.

{{{hugs}}} to you for putting up with mvw (mean vet woman*) under a really stressful time.

* After those comments, I'm not calling her a lady. Hmmmp!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Oh my!

This nasty vet syndrome happened to me a few years ago at my vets. they hired a new woman who came in the room with culture jar and tweezers and was all ready to start pulling fur out of my siamese, Tuva. I quickly told her there is no reason to do a culture. "I want to check for ringworm". I said, he's been pulling his fur out for years, there's no ringworm, I've dealt with ringworm epidemic in my house- this is not it. she gave him a quick once over and ended the visit. Next time I went back, I said something about this woman to the owner, my regular vet, Dr. Kat Ternes. She quickly told me that vet is no longer there. I gave her the details about her attitude and assumption that Tuva had ringworm without even looking at him. She, as a professional, didn't respond directly to my complaint but inferred that many others had complained, hence her being gone. It can't hurt to tell your vet what you experienced! there may be many others out there that have said something and yours may tip the barrell and get her out of there! At minimum, ask who you are scheduled to see, and if it's her, ask for a different time for a different vet. Good luck to your boy in the meantime- lots of love being sent his way from me and all pettalkers! Hang in there!
    pixie

Oh my!

This nasty vet syndrome happened to me a few years ago at my vets. they hired a new woman who came in the room with culture jar and tweezers and was all ready to start pulling fur out of my siamese, Tuva. I quickly told her there is no reason to do a culture. "I want to check for ringworm". I said, he's been pulling his fur out for years, there's no ringworm, I've dealt with ringworm epidemic in my house- this is not it. she gave him a quick once over and ended the visit. Next time I went back, I said something about this woman to the owner, my regular vet, Dr. Kat Ternes. She quickly told me that vet is no longer there. I gave her the details about her attitude and assumption that Tuva had ringworm without even looking at him. She, as a professional, didn't respond directly to my complaint but inferred that many others had complained, hence her being gone. It can't hurt to tell your vet what you experienced! there may be many others out there that have said something and yours may tip the barrell and get her out of there! At minimum, ask who you are scheduled to see, and if it's her, ask for a different time for a different vet. Good luck to your boy in the meantime- lots of love being sent his way from me and all pettalkers! Hang in there!
    pixie

sorry everyone!

when the post didn't show up, i clicked on submit again so now there are 2! sorry!
    pixie

Poor baby Tigs!!! Poor baby Bramble! I didn't know either of them were ill. Please give them kisses and headbumpies.

First, we have to get deposits from clients leaving their animals as well. Suprisingly, it does happens. We've had people call AFTER the surgeries have been done to say they can't afford it and that they wont be picking up for or paying for their pet. Isn't that horrible? We just became the happy owners of a tortoise that had been almost eaten by the family's dog.

At work we have one MEANIE vet too. People that don't want to see him have NO DR. *NAME* on their charts. He happens to be half-owner, so people kind of have to choose if they want to keep doing business with us. Its sad, because a lot of good people have left us because of him. I've even had people approach me in public when I'm wearing my scrubs.

I was wondering why your furries are on I/D? I ask because that is what our vets usually prescribe for diarrhea/bowel problems and is temporary. With all the vets I took Micah to, they all didn't want him on it very long either, unless it greatly helped his IBD. Have you considered having them on Science Diet Maintaince? Check this link out: http://www.hillspet.com/owner/owner_...ption_diet.jsp

I'm not questioning you or your vet in a bad way, just wondering why they are all supposed to be on it.

I sure hope Tigs can avoid the surgery. Poor baby!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I'm so sorry that Tigs has a blockage problem. This is also what my Cirrus had and he wasn't quite 2 years old yet. Since he's semi feral,very easily stressed by going to the vet, and extremely hard to medicate, my vet and I decided that surgery would be his best option because he'd most likely become blocked again. Now he's on the Hills Prescription C/D diet and is doing very well.

Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please keep us updated.