Thread: Cat's w/ BAD attitude

Cat's w/ BAD attitude

My mom has 4 cats, all females, spayed, and indoor only. She has one that all of the sudden has started attacking one of the others. They have all lived together for 6 years. The vet suggested, which I'm not sure about, hitting the one with the attitude with a newspaper and then putting her in a room by herself for an hour. Please help, I'm not sure this the way to handle this!!!!!
    Tiffany

I would just spray her with water everytime she goes to fight.

I agree, forget the newspaper. Get a squirt bottle and spray her, then give her a time out in the bathroom or in a room by herself. Hopefully it's just a phase and she'll get over it quickly.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

First, I would make sure she is healthy, and if there is just one cat in particular she is picking on, if that kitty is healthy too.

Then, I would investigate just what the sudden change is all about...there is probably something different.

i agree with all above!

someone may smell different to her all of a sudden or she is uncomfortable/in pain, (my siamese pulls his fur out when his gums hurt- who'd know- it took many years to figure this out!), and forget the swatting with newspaper. She is already upset and hitting her will make her more upset. Use spray because it doesn't hurt then reassure her that she's not in trouble but if is relentless in her pursuit, put her somewhere to cool off till she's over the inclination to attack. Did the vet fully check her out?
    pixie

I'm more shocked that there is a vet out there actually SUGGESTING hitting a cat with anything, even a newspaper.

Anyone who understands or has come to understand cats knows this just flat out doesn't work--it only makes them more aggressive.

They associate you with the pain of the swat - I agree with others, the water spray is a more humane and much more effective approach. Spritz, then say NO in a loud voice every time the bad behavior occurs...they do eventually get it

If you are aggressive with a cat, trust me, they will return the favor, and not in a nice way.

If this is new behavior, perhaps all kitties need a good medical checkup...often a change in health will change behavior. Although based on what you said, GO TO A DIFFERENT VET for the checkups (my opinion)
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

I don't think Tiffany13 is around anymore- she never responded to this thread she started back in June! Hopefully, her mother did not take the vets advice about using a newspaper to punish the cat- frankly, that sounds awful behind the times to me! Wonder what else this vet does or doesn't do that is outdated!