Thread: Kitty Quirks?

Kitty Quirks?

I have lived with cats for several years, and it never ceases to amaze me how each one has his own funny little habits that make each cat unique.

Here are a couple:

Elvis-
    I keep the litterbox under the bathroom sink, which has really, really ugly chrome legs (unfortunately, apartment fixtures are often disturbingly unsightly, but what can you do?).
    Anyway, every time Elvis finishes his business in the litterbox, he has to tap his little paws against the chrome legs of the sink. I think he does this to get the litter off his paws, but it makes a loud TING TING TING sound that can be heard from anywhere in the apartment, so you always know when Elvis has finished his bathroom business.
    My former roommate used to look at him when he came out of the bathroom and go, "TING TING TING TING!!!!" LOL, he would just look at her as if she were crazy!

JD-
    This little one has recently developed the very strange habit of nibbling my elbow to get my attention. For example, if I'm lounging on the couch watching TV or something, and he wants attention, he will begin nibbling on my elbow. It doesn't hurt at all; it actually kind of tickles, and it always cracks me up when he does it. Anyone else have an elbow-nibbler?

What are your cats' funny little quirks?

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

HA,,,

Your ting ting story cracked me up.
    Both my boys dig to china in the litter box. I have to go in and say what good boys they are but they are finished to get them out. Makes me nuts and a pain to scoop with a beach in the whole bathroom.!!
    They will also go to another room an cry a pitiful meow in the middle of the night. Like they are in trouble. Being the insominac/light sleeper that I am, I always have to get up to make sure everything is okay. Inevitable it's 3:15 and everything is fine but I know the ONE time I don't get up I'll live to regret it.
    Claudia

Thelmalu...I'm so glad you're back!! I love hearing about Elvis and JD!!

Phoebe and Micah are my little lover biters. If they want attention, they do the same thing. Phoebe bites the inside of my elbow, Micah bites my HEAD!! Silly fuzzies!

That's too cute about Elvis.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Both my boys dig to china in the litter box.
    My guys do the same! Isn't it hilarious? (well, not so hilarious when you have to clean it up ) What are they doing in there? JD gets so much litter outside of the box, and I'm like, heeey buddy what are ya doing in there????

NoahsMommy, thanks! Glad to be back!
    They really are silly little guys. Micah bites your head??
    LOL, hilarious!

Pick Up Sticks

or perhaps he is spelling out messages in code....

The E's each have a stick with feathers at the end. Every night while I'm sleeping Eddie brings them upstairs and lays them on the floor beside my bed. Sometimes the sticks are crossed, or side by side, or even with a distance between them.

Every day I take them back downstairs and put them in a different location, different room.

Doesn't matter. They will reappear during the night!

Sometimes the sticks are crossed, or side by side, or even with a distance between them.
    Sounds like a scene from that Mel Gibson movie, "Signs". Did you see that? I think you have "Kitty Signs", LOL!

JD is such a little thief! You cannot leave your jewelry lying around, because it will disappear! I always tell any overnight guests where they can stow their jewelry away from curious kitty paws. Elvis coudn't care less, but I have put jewelry down and seen JD snatch it up quicky and run for the hills with it, so now I'm all the wiser.

I often give Yertle the Turtle fruits, veggies and assorted greens to eat, because he absolutely adores them. One night, I woke up to find a half-eaten lettuce leaf in the bed beside me.
    I'm pretty JD was the culprit, since he is my little thief. Did he think I would get hungry during the night??

This is the first time I've logged on in ages ... and I was so pleased to see posts from thelmalu99, NoahsMommy and Edwina's Secretary. Nice to see you're all still around and trading tales about your wonderful furbabies.

My cats, Thelma and Weezie, certainly have their quirks. Their sleeping on my head like kitty earmuffs has always been ... well, interesting. And Weezie's obsession with rubberbands and plastic bags. And Thelma's irresistable urge to bite delicately into ripe banana peel (but not eat the banana inside.)

I think my favorite quirk is Thelma's fondness for drinking my bath water while I'm in the bath. She looks just like a lioness, lapping from a pond in the wild.
    Last edited by catwoman; 07-09-2004 at 11:15 AM.

Evening All!
    What great cat stories!!
    Every night Clayton wakes me up.... he is like a human child that would tug on Momma's sleev.. as if to say Momma momma you awake? Clayton takes his paw and taps me on the arm or face.. Mommmmmma wake.. Mommmmma you sleep? He also has two "toy baskets" He is so precious.. he takes the toy of choice out of the basket with is paws....

SHadow.. momma's princess is just one big quirk. but if you have a tortie.. I don't have to say anything else. She is our Princess.

Blessings,

Mommacat.. Deb

cat behavior

Thelma:

I like the pictures of your cats. We own two domestics and a Siamese. The interesting thing the Siamese does is when I hold him, he wraps his paws around my arm.

Have a nice day.

Miss Tobina

When I come in from work, or even just from errands, Don Juan will greet me at the door and flop down for petting and tummy rubs. If I don't give him his "lovies" right away ("Hey, it's hot out, let me put the milk away first!") he'll meow at me until I get on the floor with him and pet him.

I also got in the habit of brushing Don Juan when I get home from work. Now, even if I've been home all day, he'll come over around 6-7 p.m. and meow until I get out the groomer for his brushing!

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Kitty Quirks

Hello to everyone!

I’m not sure if these behaviours are actually “quirks” or not but I thought I’d share my cat’s behaviours with you, and let you decide.

My cat’s name is Pooka and he’s a seven year old neutered male I rescued from the kitty slammer in my town.

He loves to play ‘fetch’ and will return plush kitty-toy “balls” when I throw them. He likes any kind of ‘action’ toy and loves it when anyone will play with him.

He’s addicted to catnip and the cream filling in donuts. He likes shrimp and peanut butter and has been known to much down on a variety of “strange” human foods! One of his favorites is angel food cake. I don’t feed him these kinds of things but his exuberance for a wide variety of human foods strikes me as somewhat peculiar.

He opens the patio doors and any door that ‘slides’, in addition when I first brought him home I had to “child-proof” my apartment to keep him from getting into the kitchen cupboards (both uppers and lowers)!

He’s grown quite affectionate over the six+ years he’s shared my apartment with me. As a very tiny baby he suckled my ear-lobes while I tried to get to sleep!

There’s lots more curious “wrinkles when it comes to Pooka, but I’m wondering if these behaviours are “quirks” or just the behavior of ‘extrovert’ cats or if he’s really “strange”.

Peace and Respect

Wilson

awwwww he sound slike a love bug!!!!

Aren't our fur children so precious? We have all been so blest to have our fur children in our lives. Thos eof us that have rescued our babies from our local shelters (ours is so great), I Know that we were snet to them and they chose us.

Blessings,
    Momma cat... Deb.

Pumpkin...... I love you sweet angel boy 4/21/03

Shadow and Clayton's Momma.

Bam Bam and Blessy love the litter box. In fact, when I wasn't home one day, they decided to open a fresh new bag, without meowmie's permission. Look at the evidence. Let's hope they don't teach this to Skippy.

So Innocent..... LOL

Joanne Smith - kitty lovah

make BIG mess!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb