Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shedding....grrr

shedding....grrr

my dogs are shedding so bad!!! I don't know what to do about it and my dad hates them shedding!! so I guess what I am asking is there ANYTHING I can do to make not so bad??? If not is there a cleaner that picks it up real well??? I really don't know what to do I am vaccuming twice everyday ..... please if you have any avdice it would be greatly welcomed .... thanks in advance
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

I just finished brushing my two out really well tonight.. Simba is shedding horribly.

I have no advice though, sorry.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Do you brush them regularly? If so, that should help with them shedding in parts, instead of all at once.

My two went through their 'big shed' a few weeks ago. You gotta love that nifty undercoat rake. But, I know what you mean, having two long-haired dogs myself. We were vacumming everyday!

Some shampoos also help decrease the shedding.

Dogs shed, it's a fact.

Found this link for you. Hope it helps somewhat:

http://petplace.netscape.com/article...asp?artID=2460

Duct tape works really well

Kaedyn started shedding a couple weeks ago. It was HORRIBLE! When I was too lazy to comb him, I stuck the vaccum on him instead. Thank GOD Kai didn't shed as well! Gosh..he probably has twice as much undercoat as Kaedyn..But other than combing as much as you can, I don't think there's much you can do.
    Last edited by binka_nugget; 06-18-2004 at 02:08 AM.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Just keep brushing and brushing and vaccuming and vaccuming. It ususally only lasts two to three weeks, at least with my Mandy.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

thanks everyone .... they do get brushed regurlly..... It just seems like there is hair everywhere!! I think it is going to become a monster and eat me.....lol....... I guess I will keep brushing and and Vaccuming I think I might have to go looking for some shampoo to lessen it ..... agian thanks everyone
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

Winston Churchill

shedding

I have a Blue Chowchow. Grady "Cole"

You can imagine how he must shed this time of year. My girlfriend and I sit down and brush him very well for about 30 min. every three days. We also use a product called miracle coat which is like a conditioner. You may want to try it to help the hair stay healthy. Brush before the spray. We have white carpet with little to no hair on.

Mable
    Quick to praise, slow to anger!

thanks Mable!!! and welcome to pt!! your dog is Gorgous!!!!!!!!! and I think I will havew to try that stuff
    KayKay

Winston Churchill

Mable, yu have a beautiful dog!

I have a husky mix so you can imagine the clumps that come out of him. he sheds just about year round but this time of year it is horrible. Count your blessings LOL
    Anyways even any old shampoo will help loosen some of the hair, it just happens naturally between the wetness & scrubbing. I have tried a few different shampoos & sprays that are supposed to help but they really don't & the ones that do help only help a little & they need to be used often. I found that it is not really worth the time or money.

Brushing daily & vacuuming works the best. Oh & the right tools (brushes combs) help tremendously. If you are unsure of what tools may be better for your dog, just ask a groomer they will tell you. Good luck
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Just wanted to comment that if you have a dog with lots of undercoat clumps make sure you brush them all out BEFORE the bath. If you bath them with all those clumps in usually it ends up becomming matted and even harder to get out.

If you have some money to invest and a dog with lots of undercoat a high pressure dryer is a life-saver!

Needless to say my girls are both shedding terribly right now. I have to brush them everyday and still there is hair everywhere so I know just how your dad feels
    All I can say is keep brushing and keep vacuming!

Welcome to PT Mable your Grady Cole is stunning...looks so much like my RB Keisha I would love to see some more pictures and hear all about him!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Just wanted to comment that if you have a dog with lots of undercoat clumps make sure you brush them all out BEFORE the bath. If you bath them with all those clumps in usually it ends up becomming matted and even harder to get out.

If you have some money to invest and a dog with lots of undercoat a high pressure dryer is a life-saver!
    Thanks for adding that, gosh I can't believe I forgot to mention to brush good before the bath.

That is the main reason why nanook has not had his bath yet, I like to get a really good brushing every day for a couple/few days before his bath. Glad to say that as long as the weather co-operates he will be getting a bath this weekend!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Dana, is going through the shedding right now too. I am vacumming up whole dogs! Been thinking about making me another dog with the hair!

Absolute brushing is in her future!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

TRAYI52, you have a ferret! What a cutie, we need to see more of her.

Yeap, I do need to get more pictures of that girl, as I do need to get more of Dana, Buffy, Gaucho, and Charlie.

Why are all my critters so camera shy, of couse Baby just loves the camera. So she trys to steal it!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!