Thread: sewing machines ......please help

sewing machines ......please help

okay my sewing machine is making me so mad!! everytime you start sewing it does fine for a little while then the bottom thread breaks! please if you know whats wrong and how to fix it please let me know .... thanks in advance
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

Hard to do long distance troubleshooting But here are a few ideas that ucan often be the cause -

Sounds like a tension problem - too much tension in the bobbin and not enough in the spool - try tightening the spool tension just a bit - sew on some paper and check the top and bottom to see if the stitches are even on top and bottom and adjust until they are.

If that does not work - try replacing the bobbin with another one and using new thread on the new bobbin - making sure it comes from the same spool of thread. Sometimes bobbins get separated and fit too tightly in the holder. While you are at it, take a brush and clean out any lint from under the bobbin that might be affecting the tension - it's amazing what you may pull out of there!!

These are the two things that cause me bottom thread breakage the most often - hope this helps!!

I am not sure what type of machine you have but there could be a couple of problems:
    1) there is a tiny piece of loose thread stuck in the bottom which is causing the problem.

2) your tension on the bottom thread maybe incorrect for the tension on the top or what you are trying to do

3) you may need to get your machine serviced (especially if it is an older machine).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Cheryl

thanks! I am off to see what I can do
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

I was going to say exactly what Debbie said CCG - just to add - make sure the thread on the spool is wound on evenly - this drove me to distraction once and I nearly chucked the machine out of the window - I'd tried everything, so I read the booklet (!) - and that was one of the tips - so I wound another spool - viola, no more problem!!

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

I sometimes have the problem too. Most often its the tension, but I've also found that the wrong needle size can do throw things off too. Grrr. I HATE machine sewing but do it because I love cats - the only sewing I do is to make blankets for the shelter kitties. I made a few and they've requested more. I was ready to toss the machine through the window (like lynnestankard ), but hey, who can refuse to make more when the kitties love them so much?