View Poll Results: What brand of computer do you use?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gateway

4 10.26%
  • Dell

10 25.64%
  • eMachines (Circuit City)

2 5.13%
  • Compaq (Circuit City)

3 7.69%
  • HP

3 7.69%
  • Sony

1 2.56%
  • IBM

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

16 41.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer question

I really have NO idea ;x
    My brother has built all of our computers, from our very first one to the one we have now.

I've been trying to get him to give me his NoteBook PC since he just got a new laptop.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Mine's a custom built too. I did my research via Computer User magazine, ZD Net, CNet and my computer classes at school and had a local shop put it together for me to my specs. I LOVE it - very upgradeable and (knock on wood) no problems in almost 2 years. Much cheaper than the ready-builts and I got exactly what I wanted and can add to it whenever I want, however I want. I guess it's a Burger King PC - have it your way?

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I used to work with computers and I finally decided to replace my dead Dell with a toshiba laptop that does everything but make me breakfast!

I'll never own another Dell as long as I live! Compaqs tend to be rather cheap. Oddly enough Emachines are pretty decent computers and less expensive than some of the other brands because they don't load the computer up with a bunch of crap you don't need, ie. 400 free internet trials, etc. HP is pretty decent for the money, and with Sony you pay for the name.

In laptops, Toshibas are top of the line, followed by IBM and Sony. HPs are middle of the road and Compaqs are bottom of the barrel.

My next desktop I'm going to build myself so I can be ahead of the game and build an awesome graphics/gaming/multi media machine!

A word of advice, get any extended warranty offered! trust me! I've seen so many die after the manufacturer's warranty has ended, and they can be expensive to fix. Also, if you live in an area subject to lightning, power outages/surges and spikes, most extended warranties will cover your computer if there's damage due to a power surge... manufacturers don't cover anything electrical like that.

Good luck!
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Originally posted by heinz57_79
    Oddly enough Emachines are pretty decent computers and less expensive than some of the other brands because they don't load the computer up with a bunch of crap you don't need, ie. 400 free internet trials, etc.
    I agree. My last PC was an E-Machine and it was a very nice PC for the price. Lasted a good long time too.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

I have an eMachine computer now. Works pretty well... although I've had a TERRIBLE problem with popups (I probably have like 20 viruses ) I think I've finally gotten it under control... phew!
    It's a good computer though.. I have 100GB of free space

I have had Gateway since I started working here 12 years ago so I'm on my 4th one now and the only one I had problems with was two computers ago, and everything was replaced under warranty about a month before the 3 year warranty expired.

I've found Gateway tech service to be some of the best around. When I bought my laptop I debated between Gateway and Dell. Gateway eventually won out because I got a better/"bigger" computer and better service for less money.

I don't custom build, but there are certain "options" I wanted that Dell didn't allow unless I bumped up to the next higher system, and that had a lot of stuff I didn't want so I would have ended up paying more for something I didn't really want.

In my opinion, I have almost totally top of the line laptop so it wasn't cheap by any means, but it will last me for quite a few years. I've had it for 1 1/2 years now and it still beats a lot of systems that are being sold today, so it's not outdated by any means.....yet.

I really can't say enough good about Gateway, but I do believe that Dell and Compaq make excellent systems also. The only thing I would recommend is to make sure it's the kind of system that can have pieces removed and added at will so you can update later if you choose. Some of the ones from Circuit City or Best Buy CANNOT be upgraded, or they can, but it's very troublesome - I would not recommend one of those even though they are cheap.....and even though Gateway bought e-machines.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oops, forgot, one of the computer "experts" at Best Buy once told me that he would recommend the AMD processors over the Intel Celeron. He said they are a better processor and they are faster than the Celerons. So if you can't get or don't want an actual Pentium, get the AMD instead of the Intel Celeron.

Disclaimer - I am only quoting what the guy told me. I, personally have only had Pentiums so I have no experience whatsoever with either Celeron or AMD.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

My boyfriend built mine at home and all the ones here at work. He makes them to order and they are a really good deal. ANYONE THAT NEEDS A COMPUTER CAN CONTACT ME AND I'LL HAVE HIM CALL YOU.
    lol, I put that big so more people could see it
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Oops, forgot, one of the computer "experts" at Best Buy once told me that he would recommend the AMD processors over the Intel Celeron. He said they are a better processor and they are faster than the Celerons. So if you can't get or don't want an actual Pentium, get the AMD instead of the Intel Celeron.

Disclaimer - I am only quoting what the guy told me. I, personally have only had Pentiums so I have no experience whatsoever with either Celeron or AMD.
    For once, the guys at best buy was well partially correct. The REASON AMD processors are "faster" is AMD motherboards generally have a faster bus speed than the Intel boards, even the pentums. (so Ive noticed shopping around) Bus speed in lay terms *This what I know, if there is a computer expert here that can correct me please do* is the speed that the board can transmit info from the processor to the ram and the other stuff in the computer and back again. It doesnt matter how fast the processor goes if the poor board can't go that fast! The Celeron makes a good laptop processor Ive noticed *although it runs awfully hot*
    AMD chipsets run cooler than the Intel chipsets which is a concern us desert rats have to deal with *computers HATE heat*. Also you can't mess with an Intell as much as you can an AMD. *I like to fiddle lol* I HAVE heard though that the AMD processors stink in laptop/moble aplications so if you are looking to go into a laptop I think Intel is better there.
    Has anyone had a computer with the Intel Centrino? PM me! I haven't heard too much about it and Id like to know how it performs in real life.
    PS IMO *disclamer this IS just an opinion* the Intel chipset is overrated and overpriced. But since they advertise and AMD doesn't, Intel is more popular and is in a lot more computers.

Originally posted by BCBlondie
    I have an eMachine computer now. Works pretty well... although I've had a TERRIBLE problem with popups
    Go to http://www.panicware.com and download, install and use their FREE popupstopper. I won't surf without it!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here

My husband builds ours as well, so I have no idea what it is, probably bits of this and bits of that., but I have heard Compaqu and IBM to be very reliable.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Well...uh...Dell, Dell and IBM. I wouldn't recommend *our* IBM which is an E94. Personally, I love it, 19 inch monitor, and black, but lately it has been screwing up. Of course, that could be because of my brother....Ok I'd say its good but not great. The Dell's, my brother and mother's, are pretty good, but not great. Better than the IBM though. I don't know lol, hard to put a label on it as to wether its good or bad. I say, just get a Dell lol.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Originally posted by RedHedd
    Go to http://www.panicware.com and download, install and use their FREE popupstopper. I won't surf without it!
    I agree! I have not had ONE SINGLE popup since I downloaded it!!! I used to have like 8-10 open at a time!!!

the poor man's internet

I am pretty computer illiterate, so I am using a WEB TV! I have MSN service, and it's good and cheap. I had to buy a new one and it cost me $106.95, Icluding the wireless keyboard. That's why I call it the "poor man's internet"

Our old computer [which we still have, and will become mine] was a Gateway. It was always having problems.

The new one that we got recentely, which is the one I'm on now, is a Dell. We've been pretty happy so far!