Thread: Do your cats have individual "jobs"?

Do your cats have individual "jobs"?

Does anyone else have an official "food gatherer" among their cats?

From the first day we started to feed these strays that turned up in our garden, Daisy was always first to the food bowl. She was the runt of the litter and I always assumed that she had more growing to do than Sam, so was always hungrier. Either that, or she was just braver than the rest - not true as I now know.

These days though, Jessica (their mother) seems to regard Daisy as her meal ticket. I don't know whether she imagines that I won't feed them if Daisy is not there, but at every mealtime they all gather close by and Jessica bodily shoves Daisy towards whoever is in the kitchen near their food. Sometimes I think she is going to break Daisy's jaw with the headbutts she gives her.

Jessica has clearly decided that it is Daisy's job to organise the meals. Do anyone else's cats have their own jobs?

Katie and Simba have their own jobs when it come to finding a mouse in the house. It's funny to watch this.... Katie is the oldest she is 9, her job is to chase the mouse into a corner and Simba the younger cat he's 7, his job is to kill the mouse. After all this it's Katie's turn to bring the mouse to me so I can dispose of it.

Peanut's job is to look cute and Tubby's job is to make sure the couch doesn't get cold. And if I do say so myself, they are both very good at their respective careers.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Well, I'm glad some other kitties work to earn their keep as well.

AC007, your cats work as a team? Very impressive. Our cats sometimes do that as well, but really Samantha is The Boss! It is her job to chase other cats out of the garden etc. I'm afraid one of her many nicknames is "the mouse murderer", although now that she is almost 9, she doesn't seem to be quite as relentless as she once was.

T&P's Mom, I'm glad you don't practice age discrimination among your workforce. You rightly realise that the more mature kitty has a wealth of experience to offer any household.

Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
    T&P's Mom, I'm glad you don't practice age discrimination among your workforce. You rightly realise that the more mature kitty has a wealth of experience to offer any household.
    Not only that but there is no such thing as social security benefits for kitties, so even though they're old, they still need to earn their keep.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Sunny's job is to be my little alarm clock so that I don't oversleep. He's also the aerobic instructor for my other furkids and my clown.

Storm's job is to be the boss cat and he makes sure that all of his brothers know this. He's also my official chief greeter when I come home from work.

Cirrus's job is to make sure that I'm not lonely in the bathroom. He's my bathroom boy. He's also the bird alerter for his brothers.

Sky's job is to also try to make sure that I haven't overslept. It's also to watch t.v. with me and to be the social director of the household. He thinks he's a dog.

Of course the kids have jobs, no slacking aloud in my house!

Jack's job is to make sure the fish don't get out of the fishtank and to keep an accurate count of them. Since he is a big fella it is nice that he can do his job from the floor and not the lid.

Smudge's job is to research ways to grow a thumb and to tattle on the other cats. You can't trust Smudge though, he'll make up lies to get the other cats in trouble.

Fido's job is to make sure I get to bed in a timely manner. He also is the official chicken and seafood inspector (quality control you know, he'd hate for us to eat something bad).

Uwe's job is to entertain the hubby and keep us laughing. He also alerts us to any birds that land in the yard. Gotta watch those birds! They could get into the house and peck out someone's eyes.

Jari's job is to see to it that I brush my teeth in the morning RIGHT AWAY! She takes her job very seriously. She'll run to the bathroom and back to me over and over until I brush my teeth. I think she was a dental hygienist in her previous life.

Aww, krazyabout kats, I'm glad none of those adorable boys of yours are slacking! I hope Sky is back to work now after his sick leave!

Hi, Jari's Mama. Clearly your cats take their jobs very seriously! How well they all perform their roles. Do you have five cats? They all sound adorable.

You will have to be prepared here for people asking you for pictures of your furbabies. Do you have any pictures you can post for us? Welcome to Pet Talk! It's always lovely to see new people.

Josie's full time job occupation is a Spider Wrangler. She also gathers rubber bands and other assorted office supplies in her spare time.
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

Near Seattle in the beautiful Pacific Northwest

Yes, very diverse jobs in the tribe.

Tiger's job is to make sure we know where all the toys are and if not, he'll bring one. He was also in charge of the dog.
    William is the bedtime officer. If I'm up past 9PM, he starts bothering me to turn off that computer and get to bed so he can snuggle up and tuck me in!
    Percy is in charge of house security and window opening and closing. In the mornings, he accompanies me while I go around and open all the windows, jumps up on the shelf and makes sure it's open wide enough for bird veiwing. At night, he helps check doors and windows to make sure they are closed and locked.
    Pippin' job is to make sure the deck is secure. He's the only one allowed out on the deck (we fenced it in so he can't go over the side) and he goes out in the morning and does his promenade.
    Norm is the Friskies Treats rep. He reminds us at around 7 pm that we've not given treats yet.

William, Percy, Tiger and Pippin all take part in the important job of making sure we don't float away during naps. That requires 2 maybe 3 cats strategically placed on top of the chest or neck, midsection and legs.
    Tiger, Percy, Antoinette, Scooter,Norbert,Willy, Pippin
    www.tribeof7.com