Thread: Aggresion towards strangers/children

Aggresion towards strangers/children

I have a Minature Dachshund thats about 8 months old. She seems very aggresive towards stragers and small children. She has never bitten but I fear its a behavior I need to stop. If she sees a child, she goes wild. Barking like crazy at them. Sometimes my girlfriends children have friends over and she will bark at them and when they turn their back she will run up behind them towards their heels almost like she is ready to bite them. Its all funny to them but I fear she could do damage wit a good bite. I try and call her down, and she knows I don't like it, and she will stop. But next time, she does it again. The dog listens very well to me and always comes when I call but this one thing seems to be the problem at hand now. Any easy solutions?

Mable

Picture of my Dachshund
    Quick to praise, slow to anger!

Socialization

Seems Doxie is seeing any visitor as an intruder or threat upon her territory. Kids are always confusing for young dogs due to their spontaneous nature, along with the noise.

You might want to keep the puppy on a leash until she stops barking and calms down. In another words get past the first 5 minutes in a controlled manner.

Also to consider is socialization outside of her own territory with people. That might take her out of a territorial defensive mode.

great points

Thanks for your reply. I agree socialization is key and we certainly tried a couple weeks ago taking her to the beach. Of coarse she got attention from people but she didn't think much of it. Anyone that got close got barked at, or if they were comming towards us but not close. All children would gain her attention quickly. She is a funny dog about this. Like I said earlier, she listens very well to me as I have always been very strict with a deep loud stern voice. I feel maybe the way I bark at her when I correct her may be a problem. Maybe I should soften up some when I correct her. Any thought on this?

Mable
    Quick to praise, slow to anger!

She is a cutie!
    I would enroll her into a reputable obedience class. That should help you out tons.
    Good luck
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Talking Thank you for posting this thread ....

as I, too, have a problem .. it appears my sweet little girl (Maltese) has a problem where if another dog comes up to me; she turns into Cujo ..

I'm working on it, and have a slight window of opportunity every Monday night; because we work at a dog training club; but can't see any regularity in her behaviour ..

Can someone help me as to understanding what's going on .. because I know once I understand -- I'll be able to succeed, because she's as smart as a whip .. and I'm thinking this is just a jealousy thing .. she's never "bit", but just sounds horrible ..

Can someone help .. ??? Does anyone else have a jealousy problem where their dogs feel they have to "keep you all to themselves??" ..

Thank you ....

Sally (and the little Princess - with a split personality )