Thread: Protecting my dog while on walks

Protecting my dog while on walks

Does anyone have any tips on how to protect my dog from other dogs while taking walks? This morning, we witnessed a neighbor's dog slip out of his yard and go after a leashed dog that was passing by with his owner. Fortunately, the loose dog's owner caught him before any harm was done.

Seeing it just reminded me that I have no protection for myself or my dog should we be attacked out in public. I know there is such a thing as dog mace but that might be too extreme? Is there anything else I could do, carry a stick, a chain in my pocket (that I could then swing around?). Any tips or advice appreciated!

Thanks.

I've heard of a lot of people carrying pepper spray with them. I don't think anything is too extreme if it means saving your dog from danger. I've heard of some other people carrying small water guns too (the dollar store types). I'm not sure how effective that would be if a determined dog was going after your dog..

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

The thing with mace or pepper spray is that you could inadvertantly spray your own dog, or the wind could even blow it in your eyes.

One thing I've heard of is a citronella spray called direct stop. It comes in a small canister, like pepper spray but it's the same stuff that is in the citronella collars. Most dogs don't like it.

Direct Stop

I also know some people that carry a big stick with them. I like to carry my leather leash with me, doubled up a few times. I hit a dog with it once when it charged my dogs and it worked.

*Thanks Ashley*

Lightbulb

make sure that you have some kind of metal stick or anything to protect your self with.

Actually,
    Last Year one of the reasons we moved was because I could not walk my dogs (20 ft.) out of my front door...all of my Yee Haw neighbors thought it cool to leave their dogs out loose in their front yards or garages....Even Though thay ALL had Beautifully FENCED Yards.....There was a German Shepard across the street from me....she would come ALL the way up to my front windows...and God Forbid,I should take my dogs out and not know she was there....she would hide around the side of my house and then attack Delilah as we walked down my driveway....The owner thought it cute....Till I gave Sabrina a VERY Swift,Sharp kick in the ribs....there was a Beagle,a Rottie,a poodle,several mixes,and 2 Pit Bulls that Actually Jumped out their Front window to get at My Dogs....once again....a good swift kick in their teeth stopped them...Sorry to say that but,I talked to the owners,I called police 4 Times..especially on the Pits....The Owners Did NOTHING......
    A bad Dog is Dangerous...both to My Dogs and Myself....I tried Nice,I tried Firm,I tried Legal...People in this area are known to be Thick....
    I Love ALL Animals...I've been around them all of my life...But I would never subject the public to Dangerous Animals...

This was a Huge Thorn in my side....where we live now....Every house has dogs...in beautifully kept fenced yards...with shade,shelter,water,food....all that they need....
    and all their owners take them for nice leisurely walks...its' nice to live back in civilization
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

As much as I hate raising a hand to any dog, I know that if any dog came at my pups while they were on the leash I'd probably do what delidog did.... a swift kick to the teeth, ribs, wherever I can reach.

People who refuse to do anything about agressive dogs really tick me off! I see it at the dog park all the time. A handful of dogs pick fights all the time and the owners do nothing. I had to fight off *2* HUGE pits who were going after Chloe and Charlie. I wailed on them! The owners yelled at ME for whacking their dogs even tho they were attacking MY dogs and ME because I was down at their level trying to get my dogs away.

If you live in a neighborhood with agressive dogs, I'd definitely recommend bringing some sort of protection... sprays, a stick, a folded over leash...

Good luck!
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant