Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Originally posted by RobiLee
    Everyone's books sound interesting. I'll have to check some of them out.

Except for yours, Kay Ann! Those novels you read....very boring!

Robin
    Oh, but I promise they're not!! I look forward to them.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'm reading about 5 different books on dogs and then I have a big pile to read.

I have read The Outsiders, when I was in grade 4 I read it. We all got a book for Christmas (the 4 kids) and I read my brothers'. I highly recommend The Rats of NIMH and A Little Princess. Both are extremely good. I also recommend The Dog Listener by Jan Fennel. Also, I heard Nicholas Sparks was a really good writer.
    Last edited by MariaM; 06-05-2004 at 11:46 AM.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Oh and ALL the Heartland books by Lauren Brooke are EXCELLENT. They are all about horses, and even though I'm a dog person, I LOVE them!

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Originally posted by MariaM
    Also, I heard Nicholas Sparks was a really good writer.
    Oh gosh, he's GREAT! I was amazed at how well A Walk to Remember turned out. I thought it'd be a cheesy teeny type of story but it was wonderful! There's another one by him that I'd like to read.. if only I could remember the name..

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

The Notebook and Message in a Bottle are the other two books by Nicholas Sparks, in addition to A Walk To Remember. He may have even written another since then, but those are the three I know about.

I enjoy reading and have read many of the books that you guys mention. I am not currently reading anything, though. I've decided to do the Harry Potter series next, I think. We have vacation in a couple of weeks, so I will start then, probably.

Amy, I read the DaVinci Code earlier this year. Scott did too. We both enjoyed it very much. He is now getting ready to read one of the books that was written about the DaVinci Code. Can't remember the name right now. It's one that discusses more in depth from a theological aspect about why it is not true (I think that's what it is about ).

Nice thread, Robin. Thanks for starting it.

I only read books from Agatha Christie so I don't have much variety, LOL.

Right now I'm reading "The ABC Murders" but haven't finished it because I'm in exams now and stuff. I can't wait to get back to it though, it was so amazing.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I'm a voracious reader and have read all types of novels, but most often like good fantasy (not the dime novel type), and historical fiction. Some of my favorite historical fiction type novels have been by Stephen Lawhead. He wrote an interpretation on Arthurian legend that was very good (The Pendragon Cycle), very realistic and the characters fascinating. I also really enjoyed Byzantium by him, about a monk who goes on an expedition in ancient times to present a holy book to the Emperor in Byzantium. It takes place in early Christiandom years, starting out in Ireland. Their ship gets blown off course and later they are beset by Vikings. An excerpt from the book cover says: "Thus begins an expedition by sea and over land, as Aidan becomes, by turns, a warrior and a sailor, a slave and a spy, a Viking and a Saracen, and finally, a man." It was a very enjoyable book.

A couple of my favorite fantasy authors are George R. R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire), and Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy). I've also read all of James Clavell's books beginning with Shogun (1600s Japan). I've read Stephen King, Dean Koontz, John Grisham... many many more. I have boxes and boxes of books
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by NoahsMommy
    I'm currently reading Marian Keyes' Rachel's Holidday. Its my third book by her and I love her writing. Its totally girl reading...not too intense, funny and totally real! I love it!

OHHH I enjoyed that book (and all the others by Marian Keyes).. They are real GIRLIE books!!!

Other good "holiday"books are anything by Penny Vincenzi, and the "Shopaholic"series by Sophia Kinsella (feels like she is writing about me LOL) - have you read any of them???

I really loved the Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel, but the last one was a bit dissapointing.

Am just finishing "Summer Sisters" by Judy Blume - I didn't realise she wrote "grown ups books" !!!

Also just started "First Break All The Rules" - I try to have one "business" book going at the same time as all the "girlie" ones.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I am reading All-American Girl. It is a very good book and I would recomend it to anyone!

~Maggie~
    DESTINY
    "Destiny is a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice: it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
    WINSTON CHURCHILL

I love reading! I have been reading books since I was in the third grade. That was the only source of entertainment I had, no TV, so I read everything I could get my hands on.

I went from adventures to romance novels, and then those started scaring the crap out of me. I now love reading, books about disasters, science fiction, and horror stories! Not nearly as scary as the romance novels. I like Dean Koontz, Stephen King, and some others, I can't remember.

I am reading one now that is called "Final Impact", by Yvonne Navarro, I really like it. I read it a few years ago, and thought I would read it again.

Anyway, the scarier, the better!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I read Santa Paws books too. (I remember going to the library in 2nd grade and seeing it had a dog on the front, I automatically took it out) They are about a dog named Santa Paws who is a german shepherd/border collie mix I believe. He is a hero dog lol. Very smart. In one book he gets kidnapped, one he saves his family during a plane crash and more lol.

Nicholas Sparks has quite a few books. One is called The Guardian and its about a great dane. I am going to try and read it but I recommend it to you, it sounds really good and the author is too.

Logan, you will LOVE Harry Potter, it is absolutely AMAZING. I read the fourth book (636 pages) in two days, and when I got my fifth book last June, I read it within a few days as well (around 754 pages I think)

They are some of the best books I've read, and if you read them more than once (which I'm sure you will once you get into them) you pick up on a LOT of stuff you didn't notice the first/second/third tiime you read them. Lol. If that makes any sense.

But even now, when I read them over, I pick up on things. Man I just can't explain how much I love them! I have read the first book(224 pages) 4 or 5 times, the second book (252 pages) 3 times, the third book (317 pages) 3 times, the fourth book 2 times, the fifth book 2 times. I know alot of people have even read them more times than that, because they are so good.
    Last edited by MariaM; 06-05-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Seabiscuit Good book. A lot better then the movie (although I'm not done yet...)

Also Chicken Soup for the Horse Lovers Soul...

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I finished The Da Vinci Code last week and I must be the only person on Earth who thought it was over-rated and badly written

I'm taking a full time uni load this semester so I'm currently reading Pericles' Funeral Oration for my news and politics unit (I don't know how the two connect, but I guess that's my job to find out )
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Originally posted by Logan
    The Notebook and Message in a Bottle are the other two books by Nicholas Sparks, in addition to A Walk To Remember.
    "Message in a bottle" was awesome! I started to read "The Notebook" but couldn't get into it, so I quit.

I love Maeve Binchy. My favorite book is "Tara Road" I just got so involved with the characters lives that I never wanted the book to end.

I used to be an avid reader, but lately I can't seem to get back into it. I'll pick up a book and only read a few pages before I feel bored . Maybe some of the mentioned will spark my interest again! Some of the better books I've read are the Wally Lamb books and Song of Solomon.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan