Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Let's see ... the authors of the last three books I really enjoyed were Erik Larson (In the Garden of Beasts), John Grisham (re-read The Rainmaker), and Malcolm Gladwell (Blink). I've never read Patricia Cornwell's books though I know she is very popular. I'm not into romance novels or sci-fi. If it's fiction I'd like a happy ending. I'll try to stop at the library soon.
    Another Insane Devotion by Peter Trachtenberg - fiction, well written and has a kitty pivotal character!
    I've Been Frosted

Some of the best books I've read in the last few years are Stieg Larsson's three books - check them out! I also liked Maeve Binchy's "Italian Teacher" (not sure the title is quite correct)

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I read "The Shell Seekers" - and I watch the PBS series "Doc Martin" which takes place in Cornwall. Randi, I've read a couple of Maeve Binchy's books and really liked them! I read "The Hiding Place" in high school.

When I went to the bookstore to pick up this quality measurement book, they had a table with a sign: Books Everyone Should Read. There were classics on it - The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, and the diary of Anne Frank. There were also a couple I have not read - "Night" by Elie Wiesel and Khaled Hossaini's (sp?) "One Thousand Splendid Suns"- I think that's the title. My sister-in-law teaches middle school language arts and "Night" is one of the books she has taught. I re-read The Great Gatsby when the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio came out. Didn't get it in high school, didn't get it in college and I still don't completely get it. Will try to get to the library soon. During summer (through September) the library is open Sundays from 11 AM until 3:30 PM- wish they would do it all year round!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Just finished 12 Years a Slave -excellent.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I am back and forth reading "Bleating Hearts: The Hidden World of Animal Suffering" and also "A Street Cat Named Bob". When Bleating Hearts brings me to tears I read some of Bob to cheer me up.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Just finished "Perfect" by Don Larsen. His account of the Perfect Game he pitched in the 1956 World Series. I saw that game on TV, and have read another book about it. This was really interesting - he went inning by inning and he's finally realizing what is going on - only no one will talk to him about it.

Now I'm reading another sports book - about the history of the NHL.

7. iBOY by Kevin Brooks

yeah weird stupid like title an i prolly never would of picked it up if a friend hadnt of told me its good an so far it is pretty interesting. i rather suck at explaining things though so i wont even bother LOL

"The Girls of Atomic City" - it's about the development of the Manhattan Project site in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and some of the women who worked there during World War II. the task that was being performed there was enrichment of uranium for the atomic bomb. The plants were built but there was also an entire community to support the employees and families - complete with housing, food service, health care, recreation, transportation, schools and shopping. The employees only knew their individual job roles - no one except the very highest military and civilian leaders actually knew what was going on there. It was only after the bombs were dropped that they learned what they had spent the past two years doing. It also goes on to talk about what happened to the site, the workers and the community after the war ended. It was a gated, tightly controlled, heavily guarded site.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678