Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

I agree with all the Harry Potter fans, they are GREAT books. I really don't believe they're geared strictly for younger readers. Myself, my parents who are in their 50's, and many other people I know have read and loved all the books In fact I'm going over to my parent's house today so we can all go see the new HP movie in the theater together. I'm so excited

Anywho, I'm currently reading 'Macbeth' by W. Shakespeare. I'm really enjoying it. I have read quite a few of Shakespeare's other pieces, but never one of the tragedies. Or... is 'Romeo & Juliet' one of the tragedies? I can never remember I've read it multiple times.

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

The power of suggestion works! I went to the library today and picked up three books I requested after hearing about them here "When the Wind Blows", "Circus Fire" and "A Walk to Remember"!! Now, which to read first??

I read too much True Crime stuff, I admit. It makes me paranoid. Maybe I SHOULD read Hary Potter or something lol

I just finished reading "Sixpence House" by Paul Collins and I absolutely loved it!

Here's a write up on it from Amazon.com:

A bibliophile's pilgrimage to where book lovers go when they die-Hay-on-Wye.

Paul Collins and his family abandoned the hills of San Francisco to move to the Welsh countryside-to move, in fact, to the little cobblestone village of Hay-on-Wye, the 'Town of Books' that boasts fifteen hundred inhabitants-and forty bookstores. Antiquarian bookstores, no less.

Hay's newest citizens accordingly take up residence in a sixteenth-century apartment over a bookstore, meeting the village's large population of misfits and bibliomaniacs by working for world-class eccentric Richard Booth-the self-declared King of Hay, owner of the local castle, and proprietor of the world's largest and most chaotic used book warren. A useless clerk, Paul delights in shifting dusty stacks of books around and sifting them for ancient gems like Robinson Crusoe in Words of One Syllable, Confessions of an Author's Wife, and I Was Hitler's Maid. He also duly fulfills his new duty as a citizen by simultaneously applying to be a Peer in the House of Lords and attempting to buy Sixpence House, a beautiful and neglected old tumbledown pub for sale in the town's center.

Taking readers into a secluded sanctuary for book lovers, and guiding us through the creation of his own book, Sixpence House becomes a meditation on what books means to us, and how their meaning can still resonate long after they have been abandoned by their public. Even as he's writing, the knowledge of where his work will eventually end up-rubbing bindings with the rest of the books that time forgot-is a curious kind of comfort.

R.B. - Bailey (pit bull/lab mix) (08/?/2002 to 02/02/2005) and Guinness (chow/sheperd mix)

i have been trying to finish the davinci code......my son insisted that i read it and brought over his copy for me......really having trouble getting into it, keep putting it down to read something else......i will finish it eventually as i always finish anything i read, but i just, so far, cant see in the book what so many other people rave about.....maybe when i get further into it my opinion will change....

It took me awhile to really get started too Lilly, but now I am going much quicker. I should finish it by the end fo the week, and itis really growing on me.

I'm bumping up this old thread because I need book suggestions. I am reading a book for work on measuring quality in health care. Not a page turner, but I need to get more familiar with some of the most common methods and what they are used to measure. I started reading "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain, but I couldn't get into it. I think my brain is stuck on health care quality! My mom's book club is reading "The Aviator's Wife" which is about Anne Morrow Lindbergh. So ... reading enthusiasts, thank you in advance for any recommendations!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I pick up freebie books in a special room at our local recycling depot.

I am just about done The Diary of Virginia Woolf; there are several more volumes.

Daniel Silva came to fame recently with his book The English Girl, but there were books before that - all with the same characters, one of whom becomes his wife. These are spy thrillers but are written very descriptively, yet in a straightforward manner. I find each book a real page-turner.

Here's a list of his books: http://danielsilvabooks.com/the-books/
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I'm bumping up this old thread because I need book suggestions. I am reading a book for work on measuring quality in health care. Not a page turner, but I need to get more familiar with some of the most common methods and what they are used to measure. I started reading "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain, but I couldn't get into it. I think my brain is stuck on health care quality! My mom's book club is reading "The Aviator's Wife" which is about Anne Morrow Lindbergh. So ... reading enthusiasts, thank you in advance for any recommendations!
    What genre(s) do you like most?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    What genre(s) do you like most?
    Let's see ... the authors of the last three books I really enjoyed were Erik Larson (In the Garden of Beasts), John Grisham (re-read The Rainmaker), and Malcolm Gladwell (Blink). I've never read Patricia Cornwell's books though I know she is very popular. I'm not into romance novels or sci-fi. If it's fiction I'd like a happy ending. I'll try to stop at the library soon.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries
    I am currently reading Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook... Anthony Bourdain

Blog Entries
    Quickly 3 more that I enjoyed were, The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom. Warrior Princess, Kristin Beck.

Blog Entries
    And if you have a very strong constitution, God Must be Sleeping, Gregg Tyler Milligan.

Blog Entries
    Just must add The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher, and I Know This Much Is True, Wally Lamb.

Blog Entries
    I swear I shall quit after this, The Prince of Tides, by Pat Conroy and The House of the Spirits, by Isabel Allende are such beautiful novels.