Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PETCO Being Sued

PETCO Being Sued

Anyone beleave any of this??? Our Petco is the cleanest Pet store I've ever been in to. Plus all of there pets seem to be well taken care of and I've never found a sick animal in there tanks.

(It is a PETA website)

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/2373/

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Peta's insane. Of ALL the pet stores in our area, Petco is by FAR the best. The animals are always all very healthy, the stores clean, and the employees knowledgable. I love Petco, just love it. The Petsmart in my area, on the otherhand, has the most sickly looking animals on the planet. I guess it depends on each individual store, but still. I am SO not cutting up my Petco P.A.L.S. card and sending it to them!

PETA IS insane.

I'm not sure if I believe it. It could be possible, but, Amy (wolf_q) works there and i'm not sure she'd work at such a place if it was like that.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I've heard a ton of stuff about Petco mistreating their animals. I actually believe it because I don't see why I'd hear about it from all different sources if it was made up.

Looks can be deceiving. You never know what is going on behind the scenes.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

That could be true Aly.

I've never been to Petco, but I heard it's a good clean place. PETA, can sometimes go overboard with things.

Now, If you wanna talk a dirty petstore. yeesh, we have this petstore uptown called "PET ROUND UP" and everything on that list fits it. Its drives me insane why it isn't closed down. its a really dirty place, and the animals have to live in smoke. (sorry to get off topic)

This is just one store too that they are sueing, correct?

Perhaps there were problems at THAT particular PetCo...the one in East Lansing...I've never seen any of the stuff they listed.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

It was in the news here that Petco settled out of court, without admitting guilt, for both animal mistreatment and over charging customers.

Here's a link to the whole article: http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/mo...45/detail.html

"SAN DIEGO -- Petco Animal Supplies, Inc., the nation's No. 2 pet supply chain, will pay more than $900,000 to settle two lawsuits that accused the company of mistreating animals and overcharging customers."
    Oreo and Molly

I work at Petco, and while our store is clean I have seen MANY that are not. I cannot tell you how bad the animals in one Whittier Petco are kept. I have seen rats with intestines hanging out and have recieved no treatment. They are constantly fighting and wounding eachother and many are just left to die in the cage. The ferrets are just filthy etc. But the thing to remember is there are good petshops and bad petshops and each store is different. Our animals are very well taken care of, and I know for a fact they recieve vet care as before I worked at Petco I worked at Santa Clara Animal Clinic, and they would always bring their sick animals to us. They also adopt our their "non-adoptables" to various rescue groups instead of disposing of them or euthanizing them. I always hated Petco until I came here to Oregon and actually saw one that took care of their animals.

I peronsally think it depends on each individual store. I worked at Petco a few years ago and all of our animals were well taken care of. The only thing I didn't like about it was that they bought ferrets from Marshall Farms. However the last few times I've gone to that petco I haven't seen any ferrets so they must have stopped purchasing them.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I've been hearing this story for years about Petco. I've never seen any bad things in Petco - not even one dead fish and goodness knows how fast a goldfish can die!

For years I went to PetSmart because of this story but when we moved, there's not a Petsmart within an hour's drive. no thabnks, Petco's ten minutes away!

and over charging customers.

I do know that there is a significant price difference between Petco and Petsmart. I have compared prices of the exact same items at each store and Petco is usually on average $2+ over Petsmart prices.
    Alyson

Originally posted by aly
    I do know that there is a significant price difference between Petco and Petsmart. I have compared prices of the exact same items at each store and Petco is usually on average $2+ over Petsmart prices.

That's why I shop at Wal-mart for toys.

Can't beat 88 cents a peice, for fair quality toys!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

They also adopt our their "non-adoptables" to various rescue groups instead of disposing of them or euthanizing them.
    The one I used to work at did that as well. I remember one time someone returned a hamster that was missing one eye, they said it was like that when they brought it home. But we know that we didn't sell it like that. We glady took it back, and kept him in his own space and played with him everyday. Then we ended up giving him to one of our regualr customers who worked with special needs children. The kids loved him because he was a special needs hamster just like they were special needs kids.

I agree with Aly that the prices are a little more expensive which is why I rarely shop there, but I do think that in the end it balances out since you get every 10th bag of food for free.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Hmmm, I agree that it's going to vary form store to store, and depending on who the manager is and what their sensitivity and compassion is for animals. I shop at both Petco and PetsMart and while it always hurts me to see a kitty in his or her cage waiting for adoption, they have never looked abused. I've always wondered what happens when the kitty is not adopted, how these stores deal with it.......
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

Originally posted by Uabassoon

I agree with Aly that the prices are a little more expensive which is why I rarely shop there, but I do think that in the end it balances out since you get every 10th bag of food for free.
    You get every 10th bag free at Petsmart too
    Alyson