Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog going to the bathroom in my house!

Dog going to the bathroom in my house!

My pug , Zeus, will not stop going poop in my room when im asleep. and even when i shut him out of my room he does it in the living room. he does it in the daytime, too. what should i do?

You might have to try crate training,it usually works well because dogs do not like going to the bathroom where they sleep. You have to be strong too because your dog is probably going to wine and bark to get out but its they only way to help teach your dog how to hold it in.

ay yay yay
    we tried putting in his crate last night
    he pooped there, too

You need to take control. Has he been to the vet to rule out any medical problems?

If he pooped in the crate, it is too large. A dog will not normally defecate where it sleeps.

You need, as I said, to take responsibility. Retrain him like you would a puppy. Take him out after he eats, go for a walk or something if you are bored, but do not go back inside until he has done his business. When he does, praise him outlandishly.

Keep watch on him at all times. If he looks like he's about to go, immediately pick him up and bring him outside.

Does he get taken out right before you go to bed? Do that, do not go back inside until he has done his business, then no more treats or food until morning.

Control his food and treats carefully. Make strict routines of when he goes outside, and stick to them.

he is a puppy
    and also he's a little big for the crate himself

If he's a puppy, then follow what I already typed.

we do put him out every night before we go to sleep...

A couple more things

You say you put him out at night. Does he go? If not take him out a few times until he does. When he does try to associate whatever words you wish to the task. I've always used "puppy boo boo", and praise the dogs when they make one using those words. Then later when you take them out tell him to make a "puppy boo boo". I know it may sound crazy, but it works! Same for "puppy wee wee".

In addition to all the Karen has posted, one other thing you need to try- no food after 8 PM. Mine have been on free choice, and a couple of times they gobbled down a ton of food at 11 PM, and then couldn't hold it. Taking away all food after 8 PM solved the problem. If 8 PM doesn't work, then feed or limit food earlier. If nothing goes in, then nothing can come out.

Thumbs down

heee heee he does go
    he likes to trick us
    he goes about 3 times and then goes anyway. How dooooooeeeees he do it?

What methods have you tried of those that were suggested? And if he "goes" three times then has more to go in the house, don't just LET him out at 11, take him for a long walk - enough to both tire him out and drain the tank. If you're just letting him out, and you're not out there doing something interesting with him, he's obviously just doing enough to get the reward of going back inside.

well actually we watch him go.

That's not very interesting for him, is it? Walk! Because he's a pug, a long, tiring walk for him will be a shorter walk for you, but it's more interesting than just standing there! And when he "goes" outside, praise him to the heavens. Don't wory about looking foolish to others, your long-term relationship with this dog is at stake here.

first we tell him to do his buisiness and when he does we do praise him a lot.
    in fact one day he wouldn't go and then my GR went and i praised her, then he got the idea and went. thats the encouragement ive used ever since.

Actually Karen

some dogs like to perform and be watched.

flamepony you say he goes 3 times? Is that the puppy wee wee, or puppy boo boo? If the former you might be getting into some territorial marking. It's hard to empty out the wee wees, especially in summer when their water intake goes up. Crating is the best bet at night. If a puppy boo boo, then keep feeding him earlier. Karen has a good point about the long walks. Exercise should make the colon go and empty out. Followed by no food in, no food out.

well... usually it's one "puppy wee wee" and two "puppy boo boo"s.