Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside / Outside thread :)

In side only.

Skinny was a stray. Neighbors around us looked after him (he was approx almost yr when we took him into house in Sept) by leaving stuff out for him but never took interest to take him in as their own. He is inside only and loves it.

Thumper, we got her from PetSmart adoption, she came to us declawed so she has always been inside kitty.

RB Butterscotch was apartment complex (where we first lived before buying our house) stray (owner left him) and he was outside for almost 1 yr before we took him in to our house and hearts. He was inside only kitty.

Originally posted by Catsnclay
    My three are strictly indoor kitties........and love it. They sleep in our bed, so I do not want anything *strange* in bed with us, its bad enough that we sometimes have litter in there!

This world is too crazy for my babies to go out in it. Just last week in the news they were telling us of owners that found their cat - skinned - in there back yard And just a few miles away and a few days later someone found their 13 year old dog - skinned - in their back yard! WHAT is this world coming to?

I sure hope they find the person/persons that did this and........well I can't really type what I think of what should be done to them, hopefully you will understand.
    OMG!!! I hear this on the news sometimes in our area and I can't fathom why anyone would do this! Cats, dogs and other animals are truly inocent and mean no harm. They only become harsh after mistreatment from humans. These people will suffer someday, I truly believe that.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

My boys are strictly indoors. I let them onto the balcony until Pouncer decided to fall off. Now thats off limits until he can learn to stay put (or he grows too big to fit through the railing spokes - whichever comes first! ) Allen is allowed to come out onto the back porch whle I'm out with Nicki. Pouncer used ot try to come out, but ever since the storms this week, he's been terrified of the outdoors, which is just fine with me.

Both cats are happy and loving. I'm sure that given the choice that they'd happily come and go, but that choice isn't availabel since I live right next to a major street. Its easy to imagine 1,000 cars by my house on a SLOW day (how else could people get to the outlet mall a block away? )

This kind of thread has been thrashed before, and caused quite alot of ill-feeling last time, great to see this time around is different.

In New Zealand it is very rare to find inside only cats, I would estimate 90 percent are indoor/outdoors as mine are.

When i first came to PT I was amazed at how many were indoor cats only, it was very new and unheard of to me, and at first I thought it was kind of cruel.

I would have to say I have a very different opinion now, and if it were possible I would prefer to have indoor cats with a safe outdoor area, and if I ever shift this is one top priority.

Mine are indoor/outdoor, but are kept in all night, both cats rarely leave the property, I like payitforward, enjoy seeing them climb the trees, enjoying the outside especially in summer, but if i could have a safe outdoor area, which would achieve this I would be all for it, its in my future plans, and I have PT to thank for my complete turnaround in opinion.

In NZ we are fortunate we donot have wild coyotes or many predators, but yes there are still dangers., and we are known to be a very cat loving society, we have more cats per head of population than anywhere in the world I believe.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Mine are indoor only. If they ever go out, they are in a carrier. My apartment is on the second floor and the cats have no desire to go outside.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I am one of those who allows mine to go in and out. Thankfully, they choose to be "in" most of the time.

With Butter, there never was a thought of making him indoor only. He showed up at my house, one day, and I eventually let him inside. Turns out that he had been fed by a woman who made him stay outside all the time. He was with her about six months. Guess he got tired of it, or just cold, as it was very, very cold when he showed up at my house. When I saw him sleeping in the flowerbed, underneath the exhaust from my gas furnace to stay warm, my heart melted, and in he came. But, had I tried to limit him to the inside, he would have driven me to insanity, I'm sure. Even with a move to another part of town, he has adjusted beautifully, and at this moment, he is sleeping beside me in the other chair.

Mimi was intended to be an inside only cat. Then, I was pregnant and hubby had to clean the litter box. That's the time that it was determined that it was "ok" to let her outside. She has never looked back. We have lived in 7 homes during her lifetime, in 4 different cities. She has always adapted to each location just fine. Mimi will turn 15 on 6/18. She still goes outside just about every day, but more and more of the time, she prefers to stay inside.

The good thing about both of them is that even when they are outside, they hang out in the backyard and on the deck for the most part. And both of them come immediately when called, much different from the dogs who have minds of their own!

I would love , for The Found cats , to go outside , and would , but they tend to stray , and there are Bad Dogs , on the block! And moose The Magnificent , once got lost , for two months , and its not worth , the worry , that I had to go through , to let them out!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Here is the UK inside/outside cats are the norm (PayItForward will vouch for that ) but I keep Ebby indoors. There are just too many dangers around where I live, lots of loose dogs for example, and I am also bordered by some busy roads.

Indoor is my decision but I have to say that there are a number of cats in my area that live happily and safely as indoor/outdoor. Three that live just across the way, Holly, PussPuss and Bammy, keep very close to home and my new next door neighbours cat, Burton, seems to be doing the same.

Chris

You know, when I adopted Barliman, the rescue org. that I got him from was VERY adamant about all of their cats being inside-only. I expected lots of lectures about declawing, but didn't get a single one. There was a no-declaw clause in the contract, but that was it. But the inside thing? Whew! Talking to the lady on the phone: "Is Rizzo indoors only?" "Yes." "Will Sadiki be indoors only?" "Yes." "I see that you live in an apartment. When you buy a house, will you still keep them indoors only?" "Yes!" And then, when they called my references, the only two things they asked? "Do they take good care of their cat?" and "Do they keep him inside?" ! I found it a bit odd, myself. Does anyone know if that's a usual thing for a cat rescue? It seemed like their pet issue. If you'll pardon the expression.

The average life expectancy of an outdoor cat is three years.

Therefore all of my babies have been indoor cats only - even as a child, they were never allowed outside.

I would be so worried about them. Motorists, other animals, not to mention there are crazy people out there who for some reason find fun in hurting small, defenseless animals.

Nope. Mine are indoor only.
    Last edited by NKBurlington; 06-03-2004 at 11:08 AM.

My parents 4 cats are indoor/outdoor.

Reebok and Converse will be 10 years old this year. Scooter is about 6 years old and Onneka will be 3.

Of my two, Logan is strictly indoors. Zam is indoors 99.9% of the time. She likes to go out on a harness once in awhile.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Indoors only

My three kitties are indoor only. Shadow and Whisper were previously owned by another person and were allowed outside. When I was moving to Alabama, I had to have the three tested for heartworms and Whisper was antibody positive. I'm not sure if he actually ever had heartworms but he has been exposed at one time or another in his life, and his chances would have been lessened if he had never been allowed outside.

I've always lived in a busy neighborhood and would never want anything to happen to the kitties--cars, other people, other animals, etc. They are also front declawed (2 were not done by me, and I did have Callie done before I knew how horrible the procedure really was ) so they would be utterly defenseless outside anyway. Shadow and Whisper have managed to slip outside several times but I've always been able to shoo them back in the house. I don't know what I would do if anything ever happened to my babies!

For themselves and my own piece of mind, I could never let them out and 99% of the time they seem completely content being inside--unless of course they see another kitty or a bird.

Because we live in coyote/car "country"...our cats are indoor only, with the exception of Livvy, "indoor in her enclosure".

Its just too unsafe where I live. We are constantly hearing, "Oh, we don't have "kitty" anymore, she was coyote bait (instant embaressed smile after I glare at them), this is our new cat". Nice...

When we have a house, I'll let them out one at a time so I can watch them play. I know most of them would LOVE rolling around in the grass.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Originally posted by NKBurlington
    The average life expectancy of an outdoor cat is three years.
    This fact is very misleading. If you take into account all the strays & ferals & kittens who are let out by stupid people it might be right.

But for a cat over 6 months old and trained to the outside with inside access life expectancy is more like 15 to 18 years.

Originally posted by PayItForward
    This fact is very misleading. If you take into account all the strays & ferals & kittens who are let out by stupid people it might be right.

But for a cat over 6 months old and trained to the outside with inside access life expectancy is more like 15 to 18 years.
    You are correct. My husband's outdoor cat lived to be 22 years old and she travelled 'cross country with them as well.
    However, I still think the odds are better for an indoor only cat to live a long, healthy life.