Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any cocker spaniel lovers out there? (long)

cocker spaniel

I have had cockers all my life. They are trustable with everything from gerbils, birds, bunnies, cats, and other dogs if socialized with them. They can get up and go at any time, but they also like to lay on the couch. I have never had any temperment problems with my dogs, no nipping like some people have. It depends on how they are socialized. They are easy to train and like doing tricks. Eye and ear problems are constant in most cockers but are not hard to take care of, a clean sweep of the ears and wipe of the eyes once in a while is good. I love the breed because no matter how old they are, they still have silly puppy faces. I would suggest learning to shave/groom the dog on your own because there are hundreds of cases every year of groomers abusing the dogs while the owners are gone. Also they tend to be more comfortable with their owners grooming them. They are a merry breed the can be found everywhere from a breeder or a rescue and although i don't agree with puppy mills, I find the cockers purchased in puppy mills are friendlier somehow, but it could just be that the people who purchase them from breeders are just kind of snooty people and so are their dogs.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

AKC cockers are so happy because they have quite litterally been dumbed down(no offence to anyone who has one) pretty much cockers nowadays look pretty, real cockers ,ones that were bred for hunting I mean, are a rare find.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

here to illistrate what I mean by the difference of the real cocker and the AKC cocker I found some pics.

REAL cockers

(taken from w1.152.telia.com/ ~u15204686/jakt.htm)

and AKCs version, bred for looks and coat alone.

Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Yeah. I noticed that too. I saw somewhere that there were breeders that bred the "hunting" cocker, while then there were the breeders that bred just the "showing" cocker. I like both, but I'm more inclined toward the showing cocker better.

Gotta go

I never had a cocker spaniel but what i heard of them and seen is that they are very pretty and smart special,and great hunting dogs, I would take any dog if i could no matter what, there are a lot of pretty dogs on the outside and inside.
    Dogs

Originally posted by cali
    AKC cockers are so happy because they have quite litterally been dumbed down(no offence to anyone who has one) pretty much cockers nowadays look pretty, real cockers ,ones that were bred for hunting I mean, are a rare find.
    well usually dogs meant for hunting are not very good pets. they need constint exercise and outdoor activity. the show cocker is just the same, just less-hunting drive. which can be good, if you dont want an active dog in the wrong environment.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~