Thread: Please help...

Please help...

I am at a loss of what to do. My Candy, who I have had for 5 years, has suddenly become a killing machine. She has NEVER bitten anyone or anything, but yesterday, she killed 2 of my neighbors baby goats. She has always been something of a farm dog, and until yesterday, has not caused any trouble with any animals. She has also been allowed free roam of our 25 acres. I fixed every hole in the fence separating our land from the neighbor's, but somehow this morning, she found another way through. I tackled her in time before she could do any more damage, but she did leave a little blood on the other baby.

I don't know what to do. I can pen her up for the rest of her life, but something doesn't seem right about that. To be allowed to run on 25 acres and then suddenly be resigned to a 15x15 pen? It's not fair for her. The other horrible part is that Porshia, my Aussie, is perfectly fine to continue roaming as she has. Poor Candy, locked up, with Porshia running around playing? I can't imagine it.

My only option, as I see it, is to find a new place for Candy. She is not safe here anymore. The neighbor has a gun and is angry (and rightfully so.) I'm surprised he didn't shoot her in the first place. Candy runs right through the electric fence, her prey drive is so high, and I suppose the shock doesn't hurt enough to convince her not to go for the goats. Short of rehoming her, I don't know what to do. It's the best thing I can think of for her, but the worst case scenario for me. I can't be selfish...

Does anyone know of anything I can do before I look for a good rescue? This was hard enough to type, can't imagine writing to a rescue asking them to find a new home for my girl...

Thanks.

Sarah

Hello my name is Sarah too!
    We had the same problem with my dog, Duke. Okay he didn't kill a baby goat but he always ran out of the invisible fence. He would take the shock and go on. It depends how old the dog is. Duke used to run out of the invisible fence when he was 2 or 3 years old. As he got older the shock didn't bother him anymore. Now he is 9 years old and we have a very strong invisible fence. I think the type you have is the type that only shocks him once. The one we have is different. It keeps on shocking him until he comes back into the safe zone. If you don't want to send him to rescue try considering a stronger fence. I hope this helps!

Sarah

"Old dogs are like old shoes: they are comfortable. They may be a bit
    out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well."
    NEW ADDITION: 6 lovely Rhode Island Reds!

I just asked my mom she said you should get a wireless invisible fence. You can usually get one on ebay. That is were we got ours!

"Old dogs are like old shoes: they are comfortable. They may be a bit
    out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well."
    NEW ADDITION: 6 lovely Rhode Island Reds!

Maybe try taking Candy to a behaviourist of some sort?
    Have there always been baby goats there?

Whatever works out, hopw you and Candy find what is best for the both of you.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

No, the baby goats were put there only 2 days ago. She has never bothered any other animals or children (she lives here with a 17, 15, 10, 7, 6, 5, and 2 year old - she loves them!) Yes, our fence only shocks her once. Do you think if she is continually shocked until she comes back into the "safe" zone it will be more effective?

As far as a behaviorist, I'm afraid it would be very difficult to find one of those here in rural West Virginia! A good idea, though.

Thanks for all your replies!

Sarah

Re: Please help...

I know it might be a little expensive,
    but can you put up a tall chain link fence
    around a "portion" of your property and
    have some of the chain burried under
    ground for digging purposes etc.
    "maybe chain off a 1/2-1 acre section for her making shure it is very secure..

----<---<--<{(@

Murray Kentucky or, as I like to say- Murrie Kintuckae!
    maybe you should try to introduce her to the baby goats... i dunno, but it mite help! If Candy sees them as something other than prey, she might not try to kill them.
    Two guys are out walking their dogs and decide to stop and get a drink from a pub. "Hey! we can't go in there w/ our dogs!" The other guy replies "Just follow my lead."

He puts on his sumglasses and walks into the bar. A waitress tops him saying, "You can't bring that Doberman in here!"
    Cooly, the guy replies, "He's my seeing eye dog."
    So the second guy, catching on, puts on his shades and boldy walks in. The same waitress stops him as well.

"You can't bring that dog in here!"
    "He's my seeing eye dog", the man replies nervously.
    "A chihuahua"
    The man thinks a minute, then replies, "THEY GAVE ME A CHIHUAHUA!?!¿"

Originally posted by crazycait
    maybe you should try to introduce her to the baby goats... i dunno, but it mite help! If Candy sees them as something other than prey, she might not try to kill them.
    I agree.. Maybe keep her close on a leash and slowly introduce her to the baby goats..just letting her sniff them and not let her nip or bite any of them. The chain link fence idea is also good (but may be a little expensive...). I know how hard it is to give up a dog and I really hope you won't have to do that with your sweet Candy.

BTW Sarah, how are you doing? ^_^ I'd love to see some new pictures of both Porshia and Candy. It's been so long since we last talked..

- Diana

Aw, Di, I have missed you! Did you get the e-mail about TKC? So sad...

The chain link fence is a good idea, I don't know how that would go over with my parents, though, as far as price. I did try walking her on the leash around the goats (they've only been there for 2 days, so they are still new to her), but she pulls and whines like crazy. It wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't gotten the 2 babies, but now it's like she KNOWS what she's missing when she sees or smells them.

Finding her a new home is certainly not my first choice, it's definitely my last! I'm not anxious to get rid of her, that's for sure. And Di, I know now how hard it must have been to give up a dog, and I'm only considering the possibility! Thanks again for all the responses, you are all very helpful and I'm so appreciative.

Hi Candy16! Why not try to email or contact some behaviorist? Even if they aren't in west Virginia?

I just did a Yahoo Search and found
    http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/Contr...ites/Karen.htm

and you cna contact here on this page

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Originally posted by Candy16
    Aw, Di, I have missed you! Did you get the e-mail about TKC? So sad...

The chain link fence is a good idea, I don't know how that would go over with my parents, though, as far as price. I did try walking her on the leash around the goats (they've only been there for 2 days, so they are still new to her), but she pulls and whines like crazy. It wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't gotten the 2 babies, but now it's like she KNOWS what she's missing when she sees or smells them.

Finding her a new home is certainly not my first choice, it's definitely my last! I'm not anxious to get rid of her, that's for sure. And Di, I know now how hard it must have been to give up a dog, and I'm only considering the possibility! Thanks again for all the responses, you are all very helpful and I'm so appreciative.
    Yeah, I did get the email about TKC so I went and posted two new things today. (hopefully other people will start posting more as well and bring TKC back!!) Hmm.. when Candy pulled and whined, did you try to get her to calm down? Like make her sit and stuff? Here's a good forum all about dog training and they give really good advice... http://dogden.proboards21.com/index.cgi
    You can also try to contact a dog trainer and just ask for advice. (like what 'Aspen and Misty' suggested)

Yes, of course I tried, but I've really never seen her act that way before. I've always been able to control her, but now it seems like something stronger is driving her. I don't know. I'm looking at all my options....

I will see if I can contact a behaviorist, although I have a feeling I know what they will tell me...

Thanks for the link, too, Di!

What a sad, sad situation. Can you reimburse your neighbor for the baby goats? It won't replace them, but maybe you can offer to do chores this summer or something to try to repair your neighbor-relationship?

What kind of fence do you have now? Might cheap stockade-type fence, on the other side of the electric fence so she cannot "see" the goats or other animals, help?

A prey drive is nothing to mess with, I would definitely contact any behaviorists and see what they say.

Maybe as a last resort you could look into doing the same kind of avoidance training that goes on with people who train their dogs to stay away from venomous snakes. It is harsh training, but if it's a last resort.....I don't know. Anyways, here are a couple links to show you what I mean....

http://www.vizslaclub.com/huntingfield/desnaking.htm

http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html...7/29/48126.php

I think what I would do first is to slowly introduce/desensitize your dog to the baby goats. I would walk the dog to the point where she notices the goats, but isn't completely out of control. I would sit there with her and reward her any time she turns away from the goats. Eventually you would move a little closer and start again..and then move closer etc.

*Thanks Ashley*

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    I think what I would do first is to slowly introduce/desensitize your dog to the baby goats. I would walk the dog to the point where she notices the goats, but isn't completely out of control. I would sit there with her and reward her any time she turns away from the goats. Eventually you would move a little closer and start again..and then move closer etc.
    That is exactly what I have attempted to do, but since the goats only arrived 1 day before she got to them, there wasn't much I could do. Now I am rewarding her with her #1 favorite thing in the whole world when she even slightly ignores them: cheese!

I hope I wouldn't have to resort to something along the lines of that snake avoidance, but if necessary or possible, maybe that's my answer. At this point I haven't ruled out anything.

Thanks again, everyone, you've been more than helpful!