Thread: Ocicats

Ocicats

There a few tabbies in my menagerie. However, there are a couple of them with broken-stripe patterns, and one with definite dots on his side, being black and white. There is Abyssinian and Siamese mix in the breed. Would these be classified as Ocicats? Out of the two, Mackerella, is the only one who is affectionate. The other cat (the black and white one) is somewhat feral. But I'm working on this problem also.

.........wayne

Wayne, spotted cats are just one of the four types of tabbies.

This is an abyssinian (or see Kasho today for the long-haired variety, also known as a Somali. Abyssinians are also known as stripeless tabbies for obvious reaons:

This is a classic tabby, or blotched tabby:

This is a mackerel tabby, called such becuase of the fish-scale look:

And this is a spotted tabby:

The tabby is a coat pattern, not a breed. Almost all breeds can be tabbies.

Ocicats, however, are a breed. All Ocicats breeding with any othe ocicats will produce litters that look like their parents. Tabbies breeding to tabbies can produce anything.

This is an ocicat:

Hope that helps!

Lea, yes that definitely helps the confusion. I suppose that I'm looking for a near-pure bred cat. When I get this camera working then I'll be able to send pictures of my cats. Aren't the Abyssinian blotched tabby, and Ocicats beautiful? I have one cat that is obviously part Abyssinian, because of her looks and temperment, but she is a torbie in color. I have also noticed the pure bred Abyssinsians have a dark streak under their eye without the tabby mask, My Abby-Queen also has this same marking. Even though all of my cats are mixed breed, I still love them. They do make great companions. Thank you for taking the time for eduating me about the cats.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: wayne0214 ]

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: wayne0214 ]

Wayne, this is a picture of one of my Abyssinian cats. No spots! =^..^=

Maybe you could scan in a picture for us!

SAS Vermont; pretty, pretty, your Abby is! When I relized that Aby Queen was part Abyssinian, it is then I began to understand about the differnt breeds of cats. Her personality fit the Aby's personality traits as described on one of the Abyssinian cat sites. Mind you, I havn't been around cats that much. When Mama Cat came here from being "dumped", it was for utilitarian purposes that I was interested in her because of the snakes, mice,and gophers in the close proximity. However, she wasn't spayed and began to have kittens, of which Aby Queen was of the 2nd litter. I noticed that Aby Queen's appearance and personality was different from her littermates. It was by surfing the web about cats that I came across the Abyssinin site ( I have been on this internet for about a year) and learned of her. Ever since then I have become very interested in cats and the different breeds of them. If I should move away from here and move to the "back home" area, I would like to acquire a couple of Abyssinians and some other breeds, and keep most of what I have now.

I did get the camera plugged in but I havn't figured out how to get an image out of it! Went down to where I bought this computer but no one knew how to make it work ,and besides, there are no instructions on operating it. So, I'll have to wait until someone comes along that knows how to do it.

..........wayne

Originally posted by wayne0214:
    <STRONG>I did get the camera plugged in but I havn't figured out how to get an image out of it! Went down to where I bought this computer but no one knew how to make it work ,and besides, there are no instructions on operating it. So, I'll have to wait until someone comes along that knows how to do it.</STRONG>
    Wayne,

How does that old song go? "Buy me a ticket on an aero-plane. Ain't got time to take a fast train." Sorry, once a consultant, well ...

Usually there is software that goes with the camera. Even the USB kind. Try going to the web site for the camera maker.

That is why I like some of the Sony Mavica cameras. They take floppy disks.
    ATB

Charles Kincaid