Thread: MAINE COON TURNING INTO WEREWOLF?

MAINE COON TURNING INTO WEREWOLF?

Our Maine Coon, Charlie, is about 8 years old. He is my elderly mother's cat and so I didn't see him when he was a baby as I was living out-of-state.

But, in the last year I have been with him, his mane and fur overall has gotten about two inches longer ...and this is the hottest summer! Over 95 for weeks and weeks.

So, those of you who have Maine Coon's, can you tell me if this is normal..as he gets older, his coat changes. My mother says, for example, that he didn't have his main when he was a baby...he "grew" into it!

By Maine Coon standards, Charlie is scrawny...only about 10 pounds, but with all this fur, my gosh, he looks like a powder puff rolling along the ground!

Any insight, anyone?

------------------
    "Cats are rather delicate creatures and can have many ailments, but I've never heard of one with insomnia." Joseph Wood Krutch

Originally posted by Pieper's Mom:
    Our Maine Coon, Charlie, is about 8 years old. He is my elderly mother's cat and so I didn't see him when he was a baby as I was living out-of-state.

But, in the last year I have been with him, his mane and fur overall has gotten about two inches longer ...and this is the hottest summer! Over 95 for weeks and weeks.

So, those of you who have Maine Coon's, can you tell me if this is normal..as he gets older, his coat changes. My mother says, for example, that he didn't have his main when he was a baby...he "grew" into it!

By Maine Coon standards, Charlie is scrawny...only about 10 pounds, but with all this fur, my gosh, he looks like a powder puff rolling along the ground!

Any insight, anyone?

its the food! the food your feeding it induces hair growth my maine coon did it too

I think Maine coons take about 4 years to mature fully..my guy Montanna is 11, and he changes all the time.. his fur is quite short arround his head, but in winter he gets his mane.. and it's quite long, but in summer he looses it.. but his fur is changing colour now.. he is a brown tabby colour, now his under coat is turning a golden orange and looks super pretty.. but he seems to be getting smarter all the time..He watches his two younger siblings and before I know it he's doing what they do, who says you can't teach an old cat new tricks! I also read that cats fur acts as insulation in summer, so maybe that's why Charlie's coat is getting longer to insulate him from the heat..

Hey, you guys...thanks for the input! I hadn't really thought about it being his food, but I guess it could be...as to insulation...hmmmm, seems to me I did read somewhere that cats don't perspire, so I'm putting my perceptions of burning up in all that fur onto him!

Charlie's color changes constantly as well...he is getting more black on his back than ever before and his forelegs are getting lighter beige...but really, this poor guy looks like a dust bunny!

My cats make me laugh every day...in Charlie's case, I try to laugh with him, not at him!

------------------
    "Cats are rather delicate creatures and can have many ailments, but I've never heard of one with insomnia." Joseph Wood Krutch

You took me wrong.. I ment they are so cute and funny.. the make me laugh everyday.. they make me happy.. I'm blessed to be able to stay home and enjoy them...

I guess cats are like humans changing as we get older.. our hair gets grey.. maybe their fur lightening or darkening is the way they change.. Charlie sounds wonderful.. have you put him in for Cat of the Day?

Haven't thought of Cat of the Day...don't have a scanner, so...

------------------
    If a cat spoke, it would say things like, "Hey, I don't see a problem here!"

Never thought of that! Thanks Spence

------------------
    If a cat spoke, it would say things like, "Hey, I don't see a problem here!"